PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm hoping, I'm not a big fan of 3 QB and Hoyer probably could make it to the PS.

I'm still totally blown away that O'Connell evidently has zero trade value.

As I noted above, SMY suggested in her article that, because the NFL does not process waivers on Sundays, this "early announcement" might have been made as an attempt to get someone (DEN? OAK?) to cough up a pick.

That's what I'm hoping, I'm not a big fan of 3 QB and Hoyer probably could make it to the PS.

Big fan or not, the NFL incentivizes it: "See this 46th roster slot? If you put a third QB there, you can activate him on game day. If you put anyone else there, you can't."

Maybe the Pats could work out a deal with the Sox for Nick Green's services on an 'as needed-spot duty' basis...

Re: O'Connell's Release Speaks Well of Hoyer

what has Hoyer done thats so great, that would lead you to think he had anything to do with KOC???? I think KOCs release only speaks badly about KOC. I fail to see how it speaks well of Hoyer. As another poster mentioned. Maybe we should wait, and see if Hoyer himself, makes the 53.

I hear what you're saying, it's certainly possible that KOC's release has nothing to do with Hoyer, or says nothing positive about Hoyer. However, I would find it hard to believe that BB is making roster moves without taking into account the other players in that position. An example involving more high profile players is dumping Milloy after seeing Harrison before 2003. I think once BB determined that neither KOC or Hoyer were ready to be the #2 behind Brady, that he decided to keep the one with most potential to develop at #3. It's possible though, that this decision had nothing to do with talent evaluation, and something else behind the scenes character-wise happened.

Damon Huard

Re: Koc released!

What sort of evidence supports our drafts being especially poor? And what evidence would you accept as "learning"? This draft, for instance, looks like an improvement to me. Vollmer, Brace and Chung look like studs. Pryor and Edelman both look like late gems.

I agree this looks like a good draft so far, though still way too early obviously. I'm glad we've gone back to a more typical BB draft focusing on defense and the trenches.
The previous year's high draft picks for offensive skill players, with McKid's personal draft workout stamps of approval, haven't panned out.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was simply a salary dump and they try to bring him back at a more reasonable price tag.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was simply a salary dump and they try to bring him back at a more reasonable price tag.

Sorry, no.

They had to take a cap hit to cut him, and the only thing they saved was the salary of a second-year player, which is what they'd have to pay him anyways.

It's theoretically possible they might bring him back if he clears waivers, but salary dump was not the reason they released him.

Re: Koc released!

What sort of evidence supports our drafts being especially poor? And what evidence would you accept as "learning"? This draft, for instance, looks like an improvement to me. Vollmer, Brace and Chung look like studs. Pryor and Edelman both look like late gems.

Don't get him started.. all he ever does is say how crappy Belichick and Pioli are and how great he is.. Yet, when you question whether or not the guys he mentions would have made it on the Patriots, he just ignores you...

My instinct says this was about OConnell the person, not OConnell the player. I tihnk there was an issue, whehter with his attitude, work ethic, intellect or something that led to this. It just seems to abrupt.

Re: O'Connell's Release Speaks Well of Hoyer

From the question I gather you haven't seen the first two preseason games...

I did. And I wasn't all that impressed by Hoyer.. But he did do better than O'Connell.. However, don't go annointing him the god and savior just yet... There is no guarantee that he'll make the team either.

I think your instinct is right, but the person is the player. The one thing you can't measure in a college player is the capacity between the ears. It's a very different game at the next level, never moreso than for the QB. Measurables are just numbers on paper. Tall, strong arm, tall...

Salary dump? The kid was scheduled to make the MINIMUM salary. How could it have been a salary dump?

So much for in BBWT. 3rd round pick dumped? WTF? How could he have been so wrong?

Maybe the Pats could work out a deal with the Sox for Nick Green's services on an 'as needed-spot duty' basis...

Green does have a "cannon" for an arm and could throw that sideline out,better than KOC.

So much for in BBWT. 3rd round pick dumped? WTF? How could he have been so wrong?

Absolutely!
No good coach/GM has ever cut a late end of the round 3rd round pick before.
BB is a disgrace.

Scouts and coaches should be able to measure the "between the ears" ability of a quarterback.

I think your instinct is right, but the person is the player. The one thing you can't measure in a college player is the capacity between the ears. It's a very different game at the next level, never moreso than for the QB. Measurables are just numbers on paper. Tall, strong arm, tall...

Scouts and coaches should be able to measure the "between the ears" ability of a quarterback.

I'm reminded of something I read once about college admissions, that seems just as applicable here. To paraphrase:

Trying to find an NFL player (even at a single position) is not comparing apples to apples, or even apples to oranges.

It's comparing apples to oranges, and trying to decide which one, when fed to a cow, will produce the tastier steak years down the line.

In other words, they can assess "between the ears," but all they can do is say what is there, not predict what will happen.

Heck, for all we know, O'Connell became severely depressed when McDaniels left for Denver, and began pining for the fjords (or mountains) or something. . . .

Goofball comment if I have ever seen one.

How could he have been so wrong? He made a misevaluation.

I'm glad he made this move. If he had no confidence in Kevin O'Connell (and he obviously did not), and if he could not trade him (and he obviously could not), then you cut your losses. People get so caught up in draft status. Once you are on the team, that goes out the window. O'Connell was clearly not getting the job done. Let him not get the job done somewhere else.

And as for so much for in Bill Belichick We Trust, name me anyone else you would rather have. This move causes you to no longer believe in Bill Belichick? Apparently he has not built up enough equity around here to get the 94th overall selection wrong. Maybe I have been following a different team. And it's not like this hasn't happened before: Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson. Who cares? It's looking like he knocked this draft out of the park; the Patriots will carry on without their precious 3rd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST