PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'Connell's Release Speaks Well of Hoyer

I think the fact that Belichick cut a high pick in O'Connell before the completion of his contract, speaks very well about Brian Hoyer's potential. Walter is going to be the backup #2 (unless we get Feeley). Basically, Brian Hoyer, an undrafted QB out of Michigan State, outplayed O'Connell for that #3 developmental spot. From some reports, it sounds like Hoyer has good accuracy and football intelligence, is brave in the pocket and very tough, but slow and also when under pressure can have bad feet or decisions. His last college season really grounded his draft chances.

Brian Hoyer | Michigan St. Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

WalterFootball.com: Brian Hoyer 2009 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Re: Koc released!

The fact that we haven't lost consecutive games since Dec 2002 --

Apparently, you've put the 2006 season out of your head.

Nov.5 and Nov.12

Lost to Colts 27-20 (nov.5th)

Lost to Jets 17-14 (nov.12th)

Not only were they consectutive games, but they were consectutive HOME games. They lost 2 in a row at home.

Last edited:
Re: O'Connell's Release Speaks Well of Hoyer

Basically, Brian Hoyer, an undrafted QB out of Michigan State, outplayed O'Connell for that #3 developmental spot.

Maybe we should hold off on making such pronouncements until we see if Hoyer makes the 53 himself. . . . :) :(

One other thing worth noting: per Reiss, the NFL does not process player waivers on Sundays. They would have to wait until Monday morning at the earliest to do so.

QB O’Connell is waived - The Boston Globe

Also, SMY thinks that this could have been some sort of trial balloon to gauge interest in a trade.

sp_fbn_patriots_kevin_oconnell_3_08-31-09_EJF_v2.361557d.html

I think the fact that Belichick cut a high pick in O'Connell before the completion of his contract, speaks very well about Brian Hoyer's potential. Walter is going to be the backup #2 (unless we get Feeley). Basically, Brian Hoyer, an undrafted QB out of Michigan State, outplayed O'Connell for that #3 developmental spot. From some reports, it sounds like Hoyer has good accuracy and football intelligence, is brave in the pocket and very tough, but slow and also when under pressure can have bad feet or decisions. His last college season really grounded his draft chances.

Brian Hoyer | Michigan St. Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

WalterFootball.com: Brian Hoyer 2009 NFL Draft Scouting Report

No offense Mav, but what has Hoyer done thats so great, that would lead you to think he had anything to do with KOC???? I think KOCs release only speaks badly about KOC. I fail to see how it speaks well of Hoyer. As another poster mentioned. Maybe we should wait, and see if Hoyer himself, makes the 53.

What would be more admirable is not only admitting mistakes, but also ensuring that those mistakes were not repeated.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any proof whatsoever that the FO has learned anything from mistake after mistake after mistake.

Go suck on a lemon. :p

You should be celebrating that our Pats found a QB, in B. Hoyer. Congratulations to the scouts...;)

No,read it again......If Brady is hurt,we need a temp #1,not a back-up.If TB is out for a while,we're not going to carry 4 quarterbacks.If this is the scenario,it comes down to KOC vs Hoyer.They cut KOC,bring in a veteran,and Hoyer goes to the practice squad.

When TB comes back...you release Walter,activate Hoyer for the rest of the year.3 QB's......they're just picking Hoyer over KOC,both for financial as well as potential reasons.

Once again, I guess that I must assume the lonely vigil of defending a young QB. The present Pats are too talented to carry four QBs like they did with Brady, so Bill had to do something, to make room for his QB find. He dumped the guy who was following the footsteps of the gunslingers, the Tulsa Kid, the Texas Tech Kid and the Idaho State Kid.

Instead he chose to keep three QBs who can think and remain POISED under pressure, and stand and deliver an accurate pass, Brady, Walters and Hoyer.

I said it reinforced to the Team, that the producers will stay and the others will go, no matter the past rep or round drafted, or in this case UDFA.

For the same reason, I assume Tedy had a long private talk with Bill, and announced his retirement, too.

Ok I didn't read through all 27 pages because I don't have time but I just wanted to throw in my .02. I like KOC and thought he was going to be the future after Brady but obviously he wasn't catching or progressing the way the Pats thought he should be. I really like Andrew Walter though. I saw him play in college and he was really good and his name was tainted after playing in Oakland where as soon as the Qb touches the ball he has someone in his face. I think he can be a great QB given time and he has a great arm with good size. I think that was a great pickup that allowed them to let KOC go knowing he could fill in as the #2. I saw Hoyer play at Michigan St but I am still going to hold my comments on him until I see him play in the NFL.

No offense Mav, but what has Hoyer done thats so great, that would lead you to think he had anything to do with KOC???? I think KOCs release only speaks badly about KOC. I fail to see how it speaks well of Hoyer. As another poster mentioned. Maybe we should wait, and see if Hoyer himself, makes the 53.

From the question I gather you haven't seen the first two preseason games...

I'm wondering, how many of the other 31 NFL teams would have a 27 page thread about the release of a backup QB? Maybe Cardinals, Eagles and the Brpwns?

This is more about Brady...less about Hoyer...He is PSQUAD material....NOT on the 53...they will need ANOTHER QB...to keep Brady, Walter and...another. LOC wa snot making it...especially with Brady hurt...I really believe something wa sfound out and THAT is the reason.

Actually I distinctly remember Rich Gannon playing well in games with the Chiefs. So... I'd say Gannon still falls in that category of QB's who show you something when on the field, even if only in limited action.
Gannon was an 8-year vet by the time he was with the Chiefs.

The comment I responded to was that QBs either have it or they don't, and that there was never a QB that didn't show in the first year that he had it. For at least 8 years Gannon showed nothing except being a JAG fighting to make the team year after year.

Gannon is an example of a late-devoloping QB. I'm not sure how anyone could argue with that statement.

What sort of evidence supports our drafts being especially poor?
You are arguing logic with a guy who hates the Pats and everything about them. He doesn't care about reality. All he wants is to trash the Pats while pretending to be a Pats fan.

For the sake of those of us who have this guy on ignore, everyone please stop quoting him.

No,read it again......If Brady is hurt,we need a temp #1,not a back-up.If TB is out for a while,we're not going to carry 4 quarterbacks.If this is the scenario,it comes down to KOC vs Hoyer.They cut KOC,bring in a veteran,and Hoyer goes to the practice squad.

When TB comes back...you release Walter,activate Hoyer for the rest of the year.3 QB's......they're just picking Hoyer over KOC,both for financial as well as potential reasons.
The difference in their pay is about 100K, so it has to be some other reason.

It is amazing to me they kept Hoyer over KOC.

Last edited:

Once again, I guess that I must assume the lonely vigil of defending a young QB. The present Pats are too talented to carry four QBs like they did with Brady, so Bill had to do something, to make room for his QB find. He dumped the guy who was following the footsteps of the gunslingers, the Tulsa Kid, the Texas Tech Kid and the Idaho State Kid.
I'll give you this IF you can include in your defense of KOC why no one would give a 7th round pick for him. Why the Pats had to outright release him.

From the question I gather you haven't seen the first two preseason games...

Actually, I watched him in camp, and in the PS. While KOC had done nothing to impress me, Hoyer simply shows promise. Im not knocking the guy. I just don't see how his play was so great, that it had anything to do with KOCs release. Thats all i was aking Mav.

Would you care to answer for Mav then?

The Pats might want to see if KC or Denver (both hurting for QBs right now) will want to Pony up a draft pick for him.

KC would have the waiver claim lead over Denver, so maybe Josh could cough up another 7th rounder...

A.J. Feeley will be the back-up QB (another guy who played well against the Pats, who ends up on the Pats). Hoyer has looked better than both Walter and O'Connell. My bet is that they go with 2 QBs (with Endleman being able to come in a pinch) move Hoyer to the PS. Opening up a roster spot.

My bet is that they go with 2 QBs (with Endleman being able to come in a pinch) move Hoyer to the PS. Opening up a roster spot.
That's what I'm hoping, I'm not a big fan of 3 QB and Hoyer probably could make it to the PS.

I'm still totally blown away that O'Connell evidently has zero trade value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents