PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Koc released!

It could be they simply made a decision to go with 2 QBs only on the roster and one on the PS and Walter is the more experienced, better option right now as #2. By releasing O'Connell now, you may dupe other teams into thinking the Pats are even more down on him than they really are (as opposed to releasing him on the final cut) and perhaps you could sneak him onto the PS still.

Just a thought.

J D Sal

Last edited:

I cant believe we'd give up on another young, high draft pick like this, particularly considering what we're working with remaining outside of Brady. I dont even wanna hear anything about Walter and his career THREE TDs and 16 picks. And I dont care if the guy's been playin' for the Raiders, or the East Street Mafia. That's garbage in actual game play. We dont need that as our #2. My god. In Belichick we trust, but after watching Chad Jackson get shown the door a year too soon for my liking, now O'Connell?? Head scratch city. Hate giving up on high draft picks.

Of course it would make sense to you (and me) to secure a player as good as garcia for a player who is not worth a 7th round draft choice to any GM.

Yeah, a trade of O'Connell for Jeff Garcia would have made sense to me, Garcia could get us through a season if needed and O'Connell is more the Raider type QB than Garcia.

Of course it would make sense to you (and me) to secure a player as good as garcia for a player who is not worth a 7th round draft choice to any GM.
Yeah, I get that, I already said I'm shocked that no-one wanted to trade for him.

Looks like the players we drafted during the McDaniels-influence years, have mostly turned out to be busts. O'Connell, Chad Jackson, Dave Thomas.

This year has looked a lot more like a typical Belichick draft, with high draft-pick focus on defense and the trenches.

I wonder what McDaniels think of O'Connell, I could see him bringing a QB in who knows the offense and has more physical upside than Orton/Simms.

To be clear, I like Garcia a lot. I wanted to trade for him last year, sign him this year and trade for him this year. Of course, that doesn't make it possible.

Yeah, I get that, I already said I'm shocked that no-one wanted to trade for him.

I cant believe we'd give up on another young, high draft pick like this, particularly considering what we're working with remaining outside of Brady. I dont even wanna hear anything about Walter and his career THREE TDs and 16 picks. And I dont care if the guy's been playin' for the Raiders, or the East Street Mafia. That's garbage in actual game play. We dont need that as our #2. My god. In Belichick we trust, but after watching Chad Jackson get shown the door a year too soon for my liking, now O'Connell?? Head scratch city. Hate giving up on high draft picks.

If they are flops, as CJ was, then giving up on them is admirably admitting one's mistakes.

I wouldn't. Viable QB are just too costly. I'd tie my wagon to Walter and the running game and tell Brady to quit getting hurt :)

I think this team could win the SB with a really really good backup QB. Not with a run-of-the-mill backup though. With the turnstile Light has become, do you want to cough up 2-3M to stay the course in case of a doomsday scenario? I do.

Seems like a fair hedge to me.

i wonder if OConnell was a Pioli pick. If BB wanted him, i wonder if he would have released him so soon

AJ Feely possibly a target: Many people feel the Eagles will deal A.J. Feeley, in large part because he’s due to make $1.3 million and Michael Vick $1.6 million. Two backup quarterbacks getting $2.9 million along with a second-round draft pick is a large investment. There’s no need to carry two high-priced backup QBs as long as Kevin Kolb is healthy.

Sunday at the Post | National Football Post

If they are flops, as CJ was, then giving up on them is admirably admitting one's mistakes.

According to this logic, Troy Brown would have been a complete flop after 3 years. Thankfully he stuck around. Jackson was shown the door after 2. One of which was spent recovering from a torn ACL on a completely stacked team. Dont talk to me about flops.

I think this team could win the SB with a really really good backup QB. Not with a run-of-the-mill backup though. With the turnstile Light has become, do you want to cough up 2-3M to stay the course in case of a doomsday scenario? I do.
I guess it depends on what becomes available, I'm good with putting some money in but a "really, really good backup QB" is probably going to cost a lot in draft choices. If a QB matching your description was available for a reasonable price in draft picks, that's a different story.

I long for the Damon Huard days.

I long for the Damon Huard days.

I heard he may be on the block on serious early today. Now that would make sense as I am sure he could catch up quick to whatever changes have been made since he left. I am not sure how much value there is in bringing in another Walter type who would have to learn on the fly and anything else would cost to much in draft picks to use on a back up.

I must say this is shocking and after reading this I see only two logical answers take your pick he really sucked or did something wrong.

KOC isn't PS eligible. He was the backup and active all last season.

I wondered why they drafted this kid so many here immediately annointed Brady's potential successor...LOL He's nothing like Brady as far as mechanics, temperment, pedigree.

Either he couldn't or didn't progress over the course of his first season. They certainly cleaned up some mechanics but you can't teach presence and field vision and the ability to think on your feet under pressure and make good, quick decisions to someone unless they have some inherent capicity to. Cassel did, for all his lack of experience. KOC didn't...apparently. Neither did Gutz. I wasn't surprised to see Gutz go given the numbers and given his draft status. This is something of a shock ONLY because he was drafted in the third. But remember, it was the tail end of the third.

As for all the calls for some name QB who has never succeeded anywhere long enough to stick...most of them are KOC in their late 20's or early 30's or worse... The Eagles drafted AJ in the 5th as a developmental backup to McNabb on a well coached and successful team. He couldn't stick. Still can't. So bringing him here would make about as much sense as bringing in a Leftwich, Garcia, etc. ad nauseum. None of them can run this scheme. Maybe Walter and Hoyer are smart enough and have that "capacity" to learn to. Neither has bombed out in a good system so far, so there is the hope. Walter was projected as a first rounder until he seperated his shoulder after getting his Pac 10 team to a bowl game. Still went in the 3rd. Might have developed better had he not landed in the quagmire that is Oakland in Al's dotage.

Something that doesn't bode well for Josh is this was his pick. Private workout and all. Maybe he can coach really good QB's but can't identify 'em. Wouldn't be the first...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pioli grab this kid off the waiver wire. He's in position to. Thigpen is toast after his walk on last night, Croyle is injury prone and who knows how injured Cassel is...

Lesson to the media. If the "word" is they love a backup...he's toast. The guy whose leaking that to you either doesn't have a clue what the HC is thinking...or he's trying to create a preception in the market so he can flip the sucker.

Last edited:

One possibility is that Belichick is fine with Walter and Hoyer, and thinks Hoyer is at least as good a prospect as O'Connell at this point. As is always the case, this assessment doen't mean that belichick won't be looking for an upgrade if he can get it. For example, Philly has a quarterteck to trade and a need at tight end.

One possibility is that Belichick is fine with Walter and Hoyer, and thinks Hoyer is at least as good a prospect as O'Connell at this point.
We can also probably get Hoyer to the PS and save a roster spot for someone like BJGE or Ohrnberger. If Brady and Walter got hurt in the same game, we at least have Edelman who knows how to take a snap to get to the end of that game.

One possibility is that Belichick is fine with Walter and Hoyer, and thinks Hoyer is at least as good a prospect as O'Connell at this point. As is always the case, this assessment doen't mean that belichick won't be looking for an upgrade if he can get it. For example, Philly has a quarterteck to trade and a need at tight end.

I thought Hoyer has looked better than O'Connell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back