PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Koc released!

It's also amazing we couldn't trade him for a little something, they must have tried and found no interest.

Why would we even attempt to trade him. That would be insulting other teams intelligence.

Surprising that they felt KOC wasn't worth anymore time. I agree with others, must be more to this than simple lack of talent.

At this stage of the game we aren't getting much more than JAG for our #2 QB so we all better hope and pray that Tom stays healthy.

I wonder if the Iggles would trade Vick ;)

Very shocked. Yes, he looked bad - so did Cassel. I know it's already been mentionned that it's 2 diff situations, but I had learned to be patient. NE wasn't in this case.

I don't think it has anything to do with Brady, but everything to do with KOC (the schoolboy in me already misses the fact his acronym sounds cool when pronounced). I also think it might (I stress "might") be a vote of confidence for Hoyer, who may not make it to the PS.

Wow. Andrew Walter... I hope you never, ever play a regular season snap unless we're up by 42. But who knows ? Maybe he is ready for prime time now that he's escaped the Raider asylum. Listen to me ramble on... wow.

Last edited:

O'Connell will be picked up right away because he was a #3

draft pick. The trouble is Andrew Walter is the alternative.

He hasn't been a ball of fire either. I suspect that he will

play all of this week's game.

Those forum members who praise Scott Pioli to the skies and

bemoan his loss should revisit the 2008 draft. The three choices

after Mayo (Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell) have been quite

disappointing so far. There was no Welker or Moss trade to

offset poor draft picks.

There could be more to it than kidding. Once you get down to playing the 3rd QB he might as well be a radical departure from the 1st two instead of trying to emulate them.

If only we had Willie Beamen..

foxx.jpg

Groundstaff would have a nightmare cleaning the sick up though...

Last edited:

O'Connell will be picked up right away because he was a #3

draft pick. The trouble is Andrew Walter is the alternative.

He hasn't been a ball of fire either. I suspect that he will

play all of this week's game.

Those forum members who praise Scott Pioli to the skies and

bemoan his loss should revisit the 2008 draft. The three choices

after Mayo (Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell) have been quite

disappointing so far. There was no Welker or Moss trade to

offset poor draft picks.

Wheatley was coming on last season before his injury and Crable is recovering from season ending injury. I wouldn't go bemoaning that draft right now.

Why would we even attempt to trade him. That would be insulting other teams intelligence.

"Mr. Davis, I have the Patriots front office on line #1."

At this stage of the game we aren't getting much more than JAG for our #2 QB so we all better hope and pray that Tom stays healthy.
With this year's schedule, we aren't winning the super bowl without Tommy, I hope we don't go throwing draft picks around for some #2 QB. If Tommy gets hurt we just do our best with Walter for the year.

"Mr. Davis, I have the Patriots front office on line #1."

DEAL!!
But the market determines your worth. Moss didn't want to play there, most teams considered him a junk bond and even a lot of us here didn't want him. Davis had no choice than to trade the CAP liability.

I dont think he would have been released unless we have someone else lined up. Unless they want Edelman to do it :p

1) There were those on this site that had O'Connell as the #2 without any #3 as late as yesterday.
2) There were those of us who thought that O'Connell was absolutely aweful and could not be reasonably be depended as the #2, although we didn't think Belichick would dump him.
3) When I again started my second thread last week on how glad I was that Walter was on the team, many laughed. This was just a repeat of my harrangue last year when Brady went down. We needed a backup then. We need a backup this season.
4) Belichick gave O'Connell a chance in this preseason. He was so bad that no only did play his way off the team; he was so bad that we couldn't even get a 7th for him. That is a huge difference of opinion folks. Some here would have him start for the patriots if Brady is ever injured. 31 GM's didn't think he is worth a 7th round draft choice.

BOTTOM LINE
I don't know whether Belichick is so happy with Walter that he is not looking. I strongly don't think so. I suspect that Belichick is out looking for yet another veteran. However, I would not be surprised if Walter is the man.

Its either we are going with 2QBs and BB is giving Walters time to prove his is a #2 or koc broke team rules.

DEAL!!
But the market determines your worth. Moss didn't want to play there, most teams considered him a junk bond and even a lot of us here didn't want him. Davis had no choice than to trade the CAP liability.

Don't you think Davis looks like the type of guy that would like Koc?

Don't you think Davis looks like the type of guy that would like Koc?
Yeah, a trade of O'Connell for Jeff Garcia would have made sense to me, Garcia could get us through a season if needed and O'Connell is more the Raider type QB than Garcia.

I'd like to see the Patriots invest whatever it takes to bring in a A-rate backup (i.e. someone who has the ability to start in the NFL.

Ask yourself this: would Hoyer or Walters (in a time machine) hit David Patten in the 02 AFCCG if #12 was out?

That's how important this is. The Cassel thing last year was a once in a lifetime surprise.

Can Adam Seward play quarterback?

and you win the Board! LOL

on a serioous note if he can be on the PS that might be why or they not expect him to get picked up

I'd like to see the Patriots invest whatever it takes to bring in a A-rate backup (i.e. someone who has the ability to start in the NFL).
I wouldn't. Viable QB are just too costly. I'd tie my wagon to Walter and the running game and tell Brady to quit getting hurt :)

I wouldn't. Viable QB are just too costly. I'd tie my wagon to Walter and the running game and tell Brady to quit getting hurt :)

Garcia is on a 1 yr $1 million contract.....

I think they don't expect him to get picked up by anyone then they will jsut scoop him up again at min if they have too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots