PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean that the Broncos wouldn't give up at worst a 7th round pick for KO? Belichick would have called Mcdaniels about a trade right? I mean they just signed Ingle Martin. Am I missing something?

Re: Koc released!

.......think for a moment......this may not be about KOC.If it's Brady,then they're looking for a number ONE QB,not a back-up.
If so,I'm thinking Jay Feeley or Jeff Garcia.
That's funny, my first thought was just the opposite: this must mean Brady's shoulder is ok.

I find it very amusing that some people are blaming Pioli and McDaniels for some of the terrible draft picks when everyone knows Bill has the final say on everything.

I find it very amusing that some people are blaming Pioli and McDaniels for some of the terrible draft picks when everyone knows Bill has the final say on everything.

Actually, IIRC, didn't BB or Pioli once said that if either of them had a "bad feeling" about a prospect, they wouldn't draft him?

You are NOT missing anything. Not ONE team in the league was willing to offer a 7th for O'Connell.

Does this mean that the Broncos wouldn't give up at worst a 7th round pick for KO? Belichick would have called Mcdaniels about a trade right? I mean they just signed Ingle Martin. Am I missing something?

It's also amazing we couldn't trade him for a little something, they must have tried and found no interest.
Are you surprised, after he stunk out the joint Friday night on national TV?

Let me ask this, then—is there a reason why (A) the Pats have tweeted such mundane things as releasing Tank Williams, and (B) are tweeting today, but haven't tweeted this?

That's funny, my first thought was just the opposite: this must mean Brady's shoulder is ok.

Hey that's the same thing I was thinking too :D BB tries to get the players that usually burned us and AJ feely is definitely one of them. For whatever reason, he plays like there is no tomorrow against us. He would make an interesting choice

Last edited:

Not to be facetious, but the only reason to give up a pick for a player in preseason is if (A) you really want/need that player, AND (B) you believe that you have no chance of getting the player for free if/when he's cut (e.g., the Broncos trading for L. Smith).

Just because no one was willing to trade for him doesn't mean nobody wants him. . . . although it is quite possible he will clear waivers.

Last edited:
Maybe O'Connell is absolutely useless to the patriots. If we can't get a veteran, perhaps Belichick's fallback is Walter and Hoyer. After all, at least SOME of us think Walter was brought in bacause belichick thought that he was an upgrade to O'Connell.

If we were going to trade for a quarterback wouldn't we have sat tight with KOC until we acquired one? Why tip your hand? At the risk of having somebody dredge this post up in 2 months, I suspect we'll go into the season with Walter and Hoyer. Plus Feely's a WC guy.

Not to be facetious, but the only reason to give up a pick for a player in preseason is if (A) you really want/need that player, AND (B) you believe that you have no chance of getting the player for free if/when he's cut.

Just because no one was willing to trade for him doesn't mean nobody wants him. . . . although it is quite possible he will clear waivers.
True - and since he stunk out the joint Friday night on national TV why would anyone who wants him think anyone else wants him?

BTW is it possible we re-sign him?

Wow. 14 pages already... I guess the idea's been floated that this could just be the Turk at work... or it could be a Brady reaction, in advance of the signing of a veteran backup...

Wheatley was coming on last season before his injury and Crable is recovering from season ending injury. I wouldn't go bemoaning that draft right now.

I would, I have already, and I am again.

Jimke is 100% correct.

KOC was rated, due to his accuracy "issues", as a 5th-round talent by the prognosticators & publications. For whatever reasons - Skippy's recommendation? - Bill chose to draft him 2 full rounds too soon. Now we can add him to the '08 junk pile that is Lil' Bo Not a Peep Ruud, and will eventually incl. fragile lil' Terry Wheatley & Chicken Legs Crable.

Good point as usual by Unoriginal: the FO misses Matt Russell. We need more scouts like him, and fewer like those who recommended Wheatley, Chicken Legs, Slater, Ruud, and the grotesqueness of the '07 draft.

I wish this were not the case - again, but I & the prognosticators & publications were right - again, and the FO was wrong - again. Some of you people need to get your heads out of Bill's ass, open your eyes, and see the truth: this FO is simply not as good as you IBWT-ly accept that it is.

I do have one question: Why now? What's the effin rush? Why not wait until final cut-downs, just in case someone else's backup QB is injured next week, and a poss. trade can be made? It's not like we need the roster spot, or the meager cap savings.

OK, make that 3 questions.

Wow, I wasn't home all day, this is pretty shocking to me. Yeah KOC looked bad, but so did Cassel and Gutz, and they each got at least 2 years. There has to be more to this.

Yes I am. A really bad half "on national TV" isn't what dictates whether a guy has enough talent to be worth a little something. I am shocked that he's evidently worth nothing and half a preseason game doesn't change that.

Let me ask this, then—is there a reason why (A) the Pats have tweeted such mundane things as releasing Tank Williams, and (B) are tweeting today, but haven't tweeted this?

That is the big red flag.

I am stunned- he must have violated the team conduct policy. He was awful the last game but he has the tools and physical ability to get the job done.

There's more to it than what happened on the field. Just too abrupt.

i know people are using the "BB doesn't care about where you were drafted" but that doesnt change the fact that usually around the league you give a qb who is drafted in top 3 rounds a couple of years to develop and its a suprise that after 1 year that he was dropped. But in saying that when i was hearing the training camp reports i wasn't hearing to much about him developing.

That is the big red flag.

I am stunned- he must have violated the team conduct policy. He was awful the last game but he has the tools and physical ability to get the job done.

There's more to it than what happened on the field. Just too abrupt.

God only knows.

I'd rather have AJ Feeley then KOC, more experienced and better but this release does mean that Brady has to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back