PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Koc released!

Proof positive TB is ready to go.

QB12

Per Rotoworld

According to National Football Post's Brad Biggs, the Patriots are investigating options at the backup quarterback position.

Biggs says the Patriots were looking even before Tom Brady left Friday's game with what is being called a "sore shoulder." Kevin O'Connell has looked downright horrific and Andrew Walter not much better. Some names available are Tyler Thigpen, Luke McCown and Tarvaris Jackson.

O'Connell probably won't pass through waivers unclaimed, but he's getting a dose of reality after a horrific preseason. The 94th overall pick in 2008 completed just 46% of his passes in three appearances, with a minuscule 4.1 YPA and two picks to no touchdowns. It's a breath of fresh air that New England admitted this mistake so early. Most teams would've waited for a "light" to flip on with a third-round pick. The Pats knew it wasn't happening.

Proof positive TB is ready to go.

QB12

It proves nothing. It could mean Brady is hurt and we need a better #2 since Walters is pretty young and better than koC

It proves nothing. It could mean Brady is hurt and we need a better #2 since Walters is pretty young and better than koC

Seriously. All it proves is that O'Connell is not up to snuff to be #2 or #3 on this team.

We didn't do that last year when he was hurt.

QB12

Should have drafted Chad Henne; Bill!

Last edited:

We didn't do that last year when he was hurt.

QB12

We had Cassel who is apparently better than KOC. We are all guessing but I just don't see how this has to do with Brady's health.

Per Rotoworld

According to National Football Post's Brad Biggs, the Patriots are investigating options at the backup quarterback position.

Biggs says the Patriots were looking even before Tom Brady left Friday's game with what is being called a "sore shoulder.".

Didn't that happen last year right before the KC game and they sent Simms and whoever home without a workout the
Tuesday after TB got hurt because it sent the signal of a lack of confidence in Cassel when they had planned to bring them in before Brady got hurt?

Last edited:
Seriously. All it proves is that O'Connell is not up to snuff to be #2 or #3 on this team.

Wrong. Means we don't need to carry an extra backup QB when the roster spot can be better used on a different position.

Does anyone seriously think that when your starter is down and in danger of not playing, you cut the first backup? Come on, think. When Brady went down last year, they added a backup, in Gutierrez - they didn't cut one as they're doing now. Brady's fine.

QB12

WOW, didn't see this one, his mechanics were terrible on Fri.

I still think Hoyer is bound for the PS. BB has been saying good thing about Walter, we will see a lot of him against the Giants.

May free up a roster spot for another position player.

Wrong. Means we don't need to carry an extra backup QB when the roster spot can be better used on a different position.

Does anyone seriously think that when your starter is down and in danger of not playing, you cut the first backup? Come on, think. When Brady went down last year, they added a backup, in Gutierrez - they didn't cut one as they're doing now. Brady's fine.

QB12

Who said KOC is the first backup? After yesterdays game he wasn't.

Ahh, the Julian Edelman era at QB begins.

(I kid, I kid.)

QB12

You've got to be kidding. Brady's health is entirely independent of cutting O'Connell. If that backup can't cut it as a mediocre starter then you absolutely cut him and get a better player in. BB obviously thinks O'Connell would be a liability.

It's too bad to see him cut but that must mean Brady is ok...

Ahh, the Julian Edelman era at QB begins.

(I kid, I kid.)

There could be more to it than kidding. Once you get down to playing the 3rd QB he might as well be a radical departure from the 1st two instead of trying to emulate them.

It's fair to say that whichever scout thought this guy was good has been "spoken to". One of the things I remember reading at the time of his being drafted was that his accuracy wasn't great. I assumed the reports were wrong, because he had been drafted in the 3rd round.

Very surprising stuff.

Can someone change the title of the thread to his actual name ?

Personally I'd like to put Hoyer on the PS, go with just the two QB and save the roster space for one of the many tough cuts we're going to have.

But, yeah, as bad as O'Connell looked this is a STUNNER to me.

For all the talk of his potential he never showed much even against backups. Hoyer looked better in that one game he played in. I doubt he makes the roster either though. I wouldn't mind seeing Feeley or McCown in here.

It's also amazing we couldn't trade him for a little something, they must have tried and found no interest.

For all the talk of his potential he never showed much even against backups. Hoyer looked better in that one game he played in. I doubt he makes the roster either though. I wouldn't mind seeing Feeley or McCown in here.

McCown may be the answer, he is on the trading block, played well against us and was coached by BB's new buddy Gruden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back