PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Release Dominique Easley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with Urban Meyer gone there is just something wrong about Florida. I can't believe there hasn't been some massive piece of investigate journalism into his time at the school because I can't imagine all the seedy crap that was going on.

Everyone took it easy on ol' Urb when he resigned to spend time with his family and focus on his health, which was most important. For about 10 months, when he took over another football factory. Meyer is as many of the great college coaches are--a smiling liar.

Genuine question - in light of the Florida problems should we think differently about THE Ohio State players coming into the league going forward?

Genuine question - in light of the Florida problems should we think differently about THE Ohio State players coming into the league going forward?

Only if Urban Meyer recommends them.

Its clear that Urban has no issue recruiting, catering and playing individuals that have questionable judgement, attitudes and off-the-field issues.

To be fair, there have been a number of players that have played for Urban who are good kids and have been responsible NFL professionals and adults.

I don't know if Urban or the programs hes run covers up a player's transgressions, the teams aren't doing a good job with their background checks or if they don't even care and are dazzled with the talent.

To answer your question- yes. They should do a little more work checking out the backgrounds. They should do that with everyone though.

Its clear that Urban has no issue recruiting, catering and playing individuals that have questionable judgement, attitudes and off-the-field issues.

To be fair, there have been a number of players that have played for Urban who are good kids and have been responsible NFL professionals and adults.

I don't know if Urban or the programs hes run covers up a player's transgressions, the teams aren't doing a good job with their background checks or if they don't even care and are dazzled with the talent.

To answer your question- yes. They should do a little more work checking out the backgrounds. They should do that with everyone though.
Yeah that's reasonable. As I've said before I know that BB is not naive with regards to some of the players in the league, so maybe it's just a wicked coincidence that they've had some problems coming from Florida. Players drafted from any one school is always going to be a small sample size, even Rutgers, so 3 bad guys out of 5 can be deceiving, especially with Hernandez being basically the worst possible outcome, almost unimaginable.

If Urban had any opinion on one of his players personal conduct I would imagine that certainly can't mean much any more. But maybe that assumes he spoke positively if and when he was asked about any of these other guys.

My mistake. I credited the Bills with 55 players instead of 44. I didn't use any draft site.

Using the accurate numbers;
Pats 144-47= 97 gone
Jets 110-43= 67 gone
Fins 121-45= 76 gone
Bills 132-44= 88 gone

Once again, considering how many more players that were drafted by the Pats, my point is still the same. The Pats biggest strength is not drafting players, it's that they were fortunate enough to make Tom Brady one of those 144 picks.

There are numerous problems with you claiming your point is still the same. First and foremost, all the numbers show is that the draft is a crapshoot. It has no bearing on success.

Secondly, all you did was count players in the league from said drafted team. That's also not a sign of success.. Not when you consider that the entirety of the Jets 2012 draft class is playing for other teams or out of the league. Patriots have 2 of 7 from 2012 and the Bills have 2 of 9 from 2012. The Phins have 1 of 9 from 2012.

Next, you do not consider the fact that the average career is something like 5 years.. Would it surprise you to find out that 101 of the 144 picks by the Patriots occurred more than 5 years ago? So is it really a surprise that so many of the picks aren't in the league anymore? The Jets, Bills, and Phins have all made 39 picks in the last 5 years.

If you want to attempt to make some correlation regarding draft picks and success, you have to go beyond looking at the total numbers. You have to look at how many picks were made in each round. The fact that of the 144 draft picks the Patriots have had in the last 15 years, 53 of them have been in the 6th and 7th round. Compare that to the Jets who had 32 or the Bills that had 46 or the Phins that had 40.

You were shown to have completely false information about the Bills 132 picks instead of 124 and 44/45 players instead of 55. That makes the analogy totally irrelevant. And with the correct information it shows them to be .7% better than the Pats.. Yes. That is such a huge difference.. :rolleyes:

Fact is that you don't "make your point". You offered up 2 items, one of which proved to be false. And, the first one, you essentially penalized the Patriots for having selected Tom Brady and him being a success. You have then compounded the error by trying to throw more numbers out there and saying "See. See. I was right".. Unfortunately, that's just not the case.

There are numerous problems with you claiming your point is still the same. First and foremost, all the numbers show is that the draft is a crapshoot. It has no bearing on success.

Secondly, all you did was count players in the league from said drafted team. That's also not a sign of success.. Not when you consider that the entirety of the Jets 2012 draft class is playing for other teams or out of the league. Patriots have 2 of 7 from 2012 and the Bills have 2 of 9 from 2012. The Phins have 1 of 9 from 2012.

Next, you do not consider the fact that the average career is something like 5 years.. Would it surprise you to find out that 101 of the 144 picks by the Patriots occurred more than 5 years ago? So is it really a surprise that so many of the picks aren't in the league anymore? The Jets, Bills, and Phins have all made 39 picks in the last 5 years.

If you want to attempt to make some correlation regarding draft picks and success, you have to go beyond looking at the total numbers. You have to look at how many picks were made in each round. The fact that of the 144 draft picks the Patriots have had in the last 15 years, 53 of them have been in the 6th and 7th round. Compare that to the Jets who had 32 or the Bills that had 46 or the Phins that had 40.

You were shown to have completely false information about the Bills 132 picks instead of 124 and 44/45 players instead of 55. That makes the analogy totally irrelevant. And with the correct information it shows them to be .7% better than the Pats.. Yes. That is such a huge difference.. :rolleyes:

Fact is that you don't "make your point". You offered up 2 items, one of which proved to be false. And, the first one, you essentially penalized the Patriots for having selected Tom Brady and him being a success. You have then compounded the error by trying to throw more numbers out there and saying "See. See. I was right".. Unfortunately, that's just not the case.
Thanks Dabruinz, i didnt have the energy to respond to that bogus crap. You said what i wouldve said.

About 5 years ago my wife and I were driving to Ft. Myers Beach in March and we stopped in Gainesville our last night and stayed at a hotel just off I75 called The Lodge. Within walking distance was a place called Miller's Ale House. Great place, good food, TVs everywhere, pool tables, etc. Lots of UFla students in there. Anyway, we got talking at the bar with a guy who was an off-duty campus cop. He had a few in him and told us a few stories about Gator athletes. Long story short: the campus police and the Gainseville PD let the athletes, particularly football and basketball players, do whatever they want and cover up stuff all the time. Although at the time I wondered if he was exaggerating, since then I've concluded he was likely telling the truth.

Back on Topic, Jeff Howe posted an article in the Herald today. He has a quote from a "prominent leader" of the Patriots Locker-room. To me, it sounds like something Brady would say..

"“I loved Easley, especially his work ethic,” the player said. “I hope he gets a second chance. … He’s a great (guy) and teammate in my eyes.”

About 5 years ago my wife and I were driving to Ft. Myers Beach in March and we stopped in Gainesville our last night and stayed at a hotel just off I75 called The Lodge. Within walking distance was a place called Miller's Ale House. Great place, good food, TVs everywhere, pool tables, etc. Lots of UFla students in there. Anyway, we got talking at the bar with a guy who was an off-duty campus cop. He had a few in him and told us a few stories about Gator athletes. Long story short: the campus police and the Gainseville PD let the athletes, particularly football and basketball players, do whatever they want and cover up stuff all the time. Although at the time I wondered if he was exaggerating, since then I've concluded he was likely telling the truth.

I believe him 100%. I have a few buddies who went to BC and while it's not as out of control as the SEC schools, campus police let the footballers under Coughlin and O'Brien get away with a lotta **** that they should have been put in jail for.

Back on Topic, Jeff Howe posted an article in the Herald today. He has a quote from a "prominent leader" of the Patriots Locker-room. To me, it sounds like something Brady would say..

"“I loved Easley, especially his work ethic,” the player said. “I hope he gets a second chance. … He’s a great (guy) and teammate in my eyes.”

Yea. Thats Tom alright. Always saying the right thing and never throwing anyone under the bus publicly.

I would've guessed McCourty

Does Howe really have that type of easy access to Brady to get his opinions on things?

Well, maybe he's following Gaffney and will get a new/better injury friendly contract.

@1960Pats, I understand you don't want anything non football related discussed, but what could you possibly disagree with about this non-specific to anyone post? Are you pro-bigotry? If you don't like political discussion go through and dislike each post in the thread that had mentioned it, on either side. Picking this one, the one that asks that people have clear minds and hearts? Bizarre. We are all on the same team in this world my man.

With that, I'm out of this one. I have my views, but we're all here for a common goal, to root for our favorite team.

If it makes you feel any better I went back and disliked all of the posts that were political.

You're going way overboard with one little mistake and totally misrepresenting the point I made from the beginning. I've said from the start and in other threads here that the draft is a crapshoot. That in itself says that the Pats are no different than anyone else. And having many more players drafted and out of the league now supports that the Pats are nothing special at drafting. And it is clearly not the reason for their success. Tom Brady is most responsible followed by the coaching of Bill Belichick. THAT is obvious.

You're going way overboard with one little mistake and totally misrepresenting the point I made from the beginning. I've said from the start and in other threads here that the draft is a crapshoot. That in itself says that the Pats are no different than anyone else. And having many more players drafted and out of the league now supports that the Pats are nothing special at drafting. And it is clearly not the reason for their success. Tom Brady is most responsible followed by the coaching of Bill Belichick. THAT is obvious.

@1960Pats - No matter how you parse it, you can't escape the fact that you're wrong. Plain and simple. You attempted to use 2 pieces of evidence to support a BS opinion and it was found that one of the pieces was completely wrong on your part. And, instead of just admitting that you hadn't put enough thought into your claim, you've just rambled on some more with the same BS.

The jist of your original post was that the Patriots haven't been as successful as people would like to believe and you point to the number of players still in the league over a 15 year period. The problem is that you totally ignore the fact that careers beyond 5 years are atypical. Not to mention the fact that you would have everyone believe that 1st round picks and 7th round picks have an equal chance of success despite the numbers that say otherwise..

I pointed out factual information that is significantly more relevant that what you posted in terms of determining success and you ignored it.. Why? Because it shows that your thinking on the subject is flawed. Not only is it flawed, but extremely myopic to the point of being obtuse.

BTW, you thinking that Brady has been more important to the success of the team than Belichick takes the cake. And it had nothing to do with your original post.. Though you'd like everyone to believe that's the case.

Last edited:
@1960Pats - BTW, you thinking that players playing on other teams instead of the teams that drafted them is a sign of success is like stating that a kid who attended Harvard Law for a year, but ends up transferring to University of Wisconsin Law to get his degree is a sign of how successful Harvard is..

How the heck did the topic turn to this.

You didn't hear??

The Pats are responsible for harboring a potential terrorist and apparently an ISIS candidate. :eek:

Easley didn't have a motivation issue nor was he immature. Nope. He was a.......MUSLIM. :eek::mad::confused:o_O

@1960Pats - No matter how you parse it, you can't escape the fact that you're wrong. Plain and simple. You attempted to use 2 pieces of evidence to support a BS opinion and it was found that one of the pieces was completely wrong on your part. And, instead of just admitting that you hadn't put enough thought into your claim, you've just rambled on some more with the same BS.

The jist of your original post was that the Patriots haven't been as successful as people would like to believe and you point to the number of players still in the league over a 15 year period. The problem is that you totally ignore the fact that careers beyond 5 years are atypical. Not to mention the fact that you would have everyone believe that 1st round picks and 7th round picks have an equal chance of success despite the numbers that say otherwise..

I pointed out factual information that is significantly more relevant that what you posted in terms of determining success and you ignored it.. Why? Because it shows that your thinking on the subject is flawed. Not only is it flawed, but extremely myopic to the point of being obtuse.

BTW, you thinking that Brady has been more important to the success of the team than Belichick takes the cake. And it had nothing to do with your original post.. Though you'd like everyone to believe that's the case.

You raised an interesting point so I went through the draft years of 2000-2015.

I simply used first pick, second pick, etc.. instead of round.

The Pats have had their average first pick at 25. They have had 3 top 15 picks over that timeframe. Their total average pick position is 136.

Considering the average Patriots draft position and the increase in Bust% by pick pos (see chart below) I would say the Patriots have drafted relatively well.

(I threw this together rather quickly so if you see any errors please let me know. )

upload_2016-4-15_17-53-4.png

Bust Rate % by pick position

upload_2016-4-15_17-59-22.png

References:

The chance of a bust in the NFL draft (<<Link Bust rates)

NFL.com Draft 2016 - NFL Draft History: Full Draft Year (<<Link Draft by year)

This is a football forum. People who want to talk about politics need to take it to the Political Forum. The mods should delete the Political garbage.

It gets tough to avoid religious wars when people start blaming religion for roster moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back