PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots HOF finalists: Burton, Coates, Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morgan should be in Canton, never mind the HOF in Foxboro..the Steamer in a landslide...

Morgan this year, and maybe Coates next year. Morgan was the most exciting receiver we've had so far, in my opinion.

Coates will win because he's a more recent player and therefore has better name recognition with a lot of fans.

Morgan should be the one to get it, however.

Its funny because Morgan would have been such a tremendous fit with the Brady era patriots. That guy was one of the reason's we showed up week after week. My favorite thing about the guy was that he always managed to keep his feet in bounds no matter how tough a catch.

Those of you who said Coates need to get some early 80's video and pay homage.

I would like to see all three players get in, but my vote would go to Ron Burton, both for his on the field play and how well he respresented the Patriots franchise as a class act for many years. I had the honor to meet him on a couple of occasions, and I'm not sure I've ever met a more positive, classy individual. So my vote transcends the football field, which may not be part of the criteria, but it still goes to Ron Burton.

I agree about the awkwardness of voting..skewed in a way for the current..and leaving earlier players a way behind..it's almost like a popularity contest and that is not smart...I would have been more impressed if these 40 journalists had picked them directly...at least I THINK most would have had perspective..on the years..voters?? It's skewed the wrong way...

I know Coates had some great yrs, but believe it or not was not as consitant as Stanley the Steamer.. It should be Morgan by a landslide..
Definitely Morgan. Good article in the Herald w/ Grogan claiming Morgan should be in the NFL HOF.

All three are worthy - but Morgan should be first.

Let's provide some perspective here... we're all very excited about having 2 WRs this season who at times in their career have averaged 19 YPC in a season. Overall though, as talented as Stallworth and Moss are, their career average is 15 and 16 YPC respectively.

Stanley Morgan on the otherhand averaged 19 YPC over his ENTIRE 14 YR CAREER!

No knock on any of the other players but Morgan deserves some overdue respect around here

Morgan, definitely.

The steamer should be first, no contest.

i never got to see morgan play (i was only six in his last season, and didnt start really following the Pats until 93)
and i LOVED coates (he was the go-to-guy during the beginning yrs of me following the team)
but you cant go against the production
coates deserves to get sooner or later, but morgan deserves it first

Career stats of the three:

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/05840138

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/CoatBe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BurtRo00.htm

Looking at the career stats, it seems like Stanley Morgan should run away with it, but you never know because alot of the youngsters could vote for Coates, because he's the only one they've seen play.

Burton's stats are largely irrelevant - I believe he was nominated for the example he set in community service.... its a nice tip of the cap by the team to recognize that they value more than stats. However I think their community service award is already named after him... so while I have no problem with a HoF place for him, he's been honored already... I still go with Morgan

Burton's stats are largely irrelevant - I believe he was nominated for the example he set in community service.... its a nice tip of the cap by the team to recognize that they value more than stats. However I think their community service award is already named after him... so while I have no problem with a HoF place for him, he's been honored already... I still go with Morgan

Excellent point. I'll have to re-think this now.

Last edited:
My vote will go for Morgan.

I don't see how he isn't in already.

All three are worthy - but Morgan should be first.

How is Ron Burton worthy? Never rushed for 600 yds, never caught 500 yds worth of passes. As a football player, 100 guys belong in b-4 him. Good works off the field don't make you a HOFer IMHO. Media group did the selecting, RB's selection as a finalist is a favor to his son Steve more than it is appreciation for his talent as a football player. No doubt he did great things off the field, I want great PLAYERS in the Patriots Hall of Fame.

Morgan has been the best receiver during the team's history. For those of us that had the opportunity to watch him, he was an incredibly prepared athlete who could run routes and get significant yards after the catch. He was a class act on and off the field. If he came out of college to the Pats today, he'd be the number one receiver and quickly become a favorite of BB and Brady. And yes, I mean this considering the current WR corps on the roster.

I don't want my enthusiasm for Morgan to dampen what Coates did during his tenure. Stanley was the best, however, and Coates, I'm sure, will get his due at some time.

How is Ron Burton worthy? Never rushed for 600 yds, never caught 500 yds worth of passes. As a football player, 100 guys belong in b-4 him. Good works off the field don't make you a HOFer IMHO. Media group did the selecting, RB's selection as a finalist is a favor to his son Steve more than it is appreciation for his talent as a football player. No doubt he did great things off the field, I want great PLAYERS in the Patriots Hall of Fame.

As I said before:

but I don't doubt that your view is the same as most fans who will not consider off field activities relevant to being in the Patriots Hall of Fame

Myself I think they are - we're not talking Canton and shere football stats... we're talking Patriots Hall of Fame - and to me, one of the things that is and should be a hallmark of a Patriot is exemplary off field behavior

Some might disagree with me about that but I think that's what the Burton nomination is about.

My immediate reaction was "gotta be Stanley Morgan." After more consideration and reading the stats and bios, my conclusion was "gotta be Stanley Morgan."

Career stats of the three:

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/05840138

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/CoatBe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BurtRo00.htm

Looking at the career stats, it seems like Stanley Morgan should run away with it, but you never know because alot of the youngsters could vote for Coates, because he's the only one they've seen play.

What kids show was it where they used to sing "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong"?:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST