PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ask for permission to speak with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone find Kansas City more attractive than going to coach with one the best HC / QB combos ever? You're going to be alone in that thinking.

Better opportunity for advancement, look at Romeo, could be named HC, wouldn't happen here.

Reading the tweets and the StLouis Post Dispatch article that generated them, both the Pats and Chiefs have reportedly sought permission to talk to Josh but there are no reports it has been granted. The thinking seems to be that while the QB prefers Josh's system to the West Coast one he ran as a rookie, if Fisher is hired they don't think he will want to retain Josh. So they may not grant permission pending Fisher's decision on the HC position and his staff. That makes this a way to let Josh know without tampering that he's wanted if he's in fact available... Some said that was the reason RAC and Charlie went to KC, because Scott reached out to them even before they were available...although I doubt either was coming back here for obvious reasons. They had already succeeded with Bill and Tom and after failing as HC's needed to show they could succeed without Bill and Tom. Scott and Matt provided them the perfect opportunity to. Same system and scheme, different talent and no HOF shadows to work under.

I'm surprised you thought they were unproductive in 2003. Looked to me like there were fireworks going off late in the season, especially the playoffs.

Remember the guy who ran the ball a lot early in the year was Patrick Pass. Deion Branch hadn't come into his own yet. The offensive line was banged up. And yet they broke Super Bowl records for offense that year.

I have to say, I'd be thrilled if this happens.

McDaniels may be lacking as a head coach, but there's no debating that he's an excellent offensive mind. And if it gives BB some slack to focus on the defense exclusively (read: defensive backs), I'd give it my seal of approval.

You really want to use Tebow, Moreno and Ayers as good 1st round picks? Seriously? That's laughable. Alphonso Smith cost them another 1st rounder and he gave him away for Dan Gronkowski (yes that Dan Gronkowski). Darcel McBath and Richard Quinn in the second - both released. How about his influence with the Pats with Moron-ey and CJax.

You must be a 4th or 5th string AQ.

According Michael Holley's book, it was Belichick's decision on Maroney and Jackson, not McDaniels. McDaniels might have had some influence on Maroney since his brother worked for the Golden Gophers, but Belichick scouted Jackson himself on his yearly pilgrimage to visit Urban Meyers.

By this logic that McDaniels is responsible for every offensive player while he was in charge of the offense, doesn't he get credit for Mankins, Kazcur, and Cassel?

LOL! McDaniels haters always pull the "anyone could do what McDaniels did in 2007". Then why has no one ever done it? There have been offenses as talented or even more talented and none of them have done it.

McDaniels made average QBs like Cassel and Orton look good.

because the next year there was Randy Moss and Matt Cassell. The year after that there was Tom Brady post knee destruction and after that, Moss losing his mind. It was a perfect storm for Josh and he cashed in big time. I do not like him. I do not like his style. Nope.

You really want to use Tebow, Moreno and Ayers as good 1st round picks? Seriously? That's laughable. Alphonso Smith cost them another 1st rounder and he gave him away for Dan Gronkowski (yes that Dan Gronkowski). Darcel McBath and Richard Quinn in the second - both released. How about his influence with the Pats with Moron-ey and CJax.

You must be a 4th or 5th string AQ.

Yup, Ayers has been terrible as mid 1st round pick.....:rolleyes: Tebow has been a huge shot in the arm to the franchise and fanbase.....

BB and Pioli had the final say, to blame anybody else for Maroney and Chad Jackson is simply moronic! And to think that any organization will be flawless during the draft process is even more moronic.

Also avoid talking about his FA signings etc.... just focus on the few mistakes. ;)

Last edited:
There was nothing wrong with his gameplan. The Pats tried everything--screens, draws, crossing patterns, deep routes to Moss--nothing worked because the OL COULD NOT BLOCK THE GIANTS DL. If you want to blame somebody, blame those guys.

With a few more years of seasoning, I think McDaniels would be a worthy successor to BB.

Errr, he could have run the ball based on the Giants only putting 3 on the line. They were daring him to run.

BB was at fault too for passing up a long field goal.

I'm surprised you thought they were unproductive in 2003. Looked to me like there were fireworks going off late in the season, especially the playoffs.

Remember the guy who ran the ball a lot early in the year was Patrick Pass. Deion Branch hadn't come into his own yet. The offensive line was banged up. And yet they broke Super Bowl records for offense that year.

I think you are wrong about that. In the Division round, the Pats scored 17 points. The longest TD drive was 69 yards.

In the AFC Championships, they kicked 5 FG vs. 1 TD (and that one TD started on Indy's 22 yard line). If the Pats didn't intercept Manning 4 times, the offense wouldn't scored as many points.

In the Super Bowl, the offense did explode in the 2nd and 4th quarters, but that was it.

The Pats scored less than 20 points six times that year. The Pats were 17th in yards, 12th in points (but that was with arguably the best defense in Pats' history keeping the offense on the field), and 15th in 3rd down percentage (at 37% which I think was the worst of the Brady era).

because the next year there was Randy Moss and Matt Cassell. The year after that there was Tom Brady post knee destruction and after that, Moss losing his mind. It was a perfect storm for Josh and he cashed in big time. I do not like him. I do not like his style. Nope.

Again, there has been more talented offenses in history and they never recreated the historic year that the Pats have. You McDaniels haters cling to unprovable opinions to why he sucks.

According Michael Holley's book, it was Belichick's decision on Maroney and Jackson, not McDaniels. McDaniels might have had some influence on Maroney since his brother worked for the Golden Gophers, but Belichick scouted Jackson himself on his yearly pilgrimage to visit Urban Meyers.

By this logic that McDaniels is responsible for every offensive player while he was in charge of the offense, doesn't he get credit for Mankins, Kazcur, and Cassel?

Yup, Ayers has been terrible as mid 1st round pick.....:rolleyes: Tebow has been a huge shot in the arm to the franchise and fanbase.....

BB and Pioli had the final say, to blame anybody else for Maroney and Chad Jackson is simply moronic! And to think that any organization will be flawless during the draft process is even more moronic.

Also avoid talking about his FA signings etc.... just focus on the few mistakes. ;)

The two of you not know what influence means? As in talent evaluation?

And Mcg, why didn't you point out his mistakes instead of focusing on a few hits then? Or is that only supposed to work one way when it fits your argument?

And Mcg, why didn't you point out his mistakes instead of focusing on a few hits then? Or is that only supposed to work one way when it fits your argument?
What does it matter, if Micky D came here he wouldn't be picking the grocery's

Last edited:

I think you quoted the wrong post since I said nothing about 2003...and have no idea what you are eluding to.

Meanwhile...at this very moment,somewhere in Arizona someone is trying to persuade NEM to get off the roof as he is threatening to jump.

And quite a few people would be encouraging NEM to jump

I think you are wrong about that. In the Division round, the Pats scored 17 points. The longest TD drive was 69 yards.

In the AFC Championships, they kicked 5 FG vs. 1 TD (and that one TD started on Indy's 22 yard line). If the Pats didn't intercept Manning 4 times, the offense wouldn't scored as many points.

In the Super Bowl, the offense did explode in the 2nd and 4th quarters, but that was it.

The Pats scored less than 20 points six times that year. The Pats were 17th in yards, 12th in points (but that was with arguably the best defense in Pats' history keeping the offense on the field), and 15th in 3rd down percentage (at 37% which I think was the worst of the Brady era).

Like I said, the WR and RB positions were woeful, but the division round against Tennessee was surely a byproduct of -10 degree temperatures. Remember Zach Piller "I'm freaking out, can't feel my legs!!!"? During the season, the Patriots tacked 38 points on the Titans in warmer weather. That was a whole other era of offense, lots of tight games, Belichick taking the air out of the ball in close games. Nothing like the ping-ping-ping football of today. I personally think Weis was by far the best Patriots coordinator, the guy who actually installed the offense.

I do not like thee, Josh McD,
The reason why is plain to see;
But this I know, and know to be,
I do not like thee, Josh McD.

That's Garbanza, that's not me
Josh McD is the man for OC

Last edited:

I absolutely know what influence means. Do you? According to Michael Holley, Belichick was against everyone else in the room in drafting Maroney and Jackson. It was 100% his decision despite a lot of opposition. Where is your proof that McDaniels influenced Belichick on those two. There is no proof other than the McDaniels haters wanting to attribute every failure of the offense during that time period on him.

Michael Holley wrote an extensively about that draft in his current book especially about the selection of both Maroney and Jackson. If McDaniels was so influencial on those picks, you will be able to pull a wealth of material from that book to back up your claim. I haven't read the book but from my understanding Holley suggests that McDaniels was influential on the Maroney pick, but not Jackson.

Last edited:
I think you quoted the wrong post since I said nothing about 2003...and have no idea what you are eluding to.

Yes, I was responding to Rob on Weis. No idea what happened. Then again, the board is buggy for me this morning. I'm getting old style HTML on half the posts I'm reading.

Per WEEI,

The Rams just told McDaniels that they wont hold him to his contract and he is free to leave if he wants too.

Welcome back Mr. McDaniels

Peter King is breaking some news on the topic:

Rams have told Josh McDaniels they won't hold him to his contract. If he wants to leave, they'll let him.

Twitter

That would seem to be great news for either K.C. or N.E..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST