PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ask for permission to speak with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, the WR and RB positions were woeful, but the division round against Tennessee was surely a byproduct of -10 degree temperatures. Remember Zach Piller "I'm freaking out, can't feel my legs!!!"? During the season, the Patriots tacked 38 points on the Titans in warmer weather. That was a whole other era of offense, lots of tight games, Belichick taking the air out of the ball in close games. Nothing like the ping-ping-ping football of today. I personally think Weis was by far the best Patriots coordinator, the guy who actually installed the offense.

The 2003 team was marred with a lot of three and outs.

In that first Titans game, the Pats didn't have a scoring drive for more than 69 yards (Pats had offensive TD drives of 69, 59, 64, and 30 yards). It was the defense putting the offense in good position to score. Also, one TD was a pick six by Law which was the Pats' second longest TD drive of the game.

Even so, that is one game. Why not bring up the 12-0 games vs. the Cowboys and Dolphins. Or the 9-3 game vs. the Browns. Or the 17-6 game vs. the Giants. And those are the wins.

I agree that the offense didn't have great weapons, but not as bad as you suggest. They had some games where the offense clicked and were on fire, but for the most part the defense carried the offense that season like the offense has carried the defense the last three years.

The two of you not know what influence means? As in talent evaluation?

And Mcg, why didn't you point out his mistakes instead of focusing on a few hits then? Or is that only supposed to work one way when it fits your argument?

Who gives two ****s what his "influence" was? Two men with much more power than influence had the final say. Those two draft picks are on BB and Pioli, period!

Because his truly big mistakes in Denver had nothing to do with talent evaluations. And I don't live in some draft world utopia where every draft pick works out.

I'm curious as to what the McDaniels critics would have the Patriots do in lieu of bringing him on board?

So, McDaniels has

Brady/Belichick

v.

Cassel/Crennel

If he chooses to move on from the Rams, he'll have an interesting decision to make. Does he go with the security and ability to compete for a Super Bowl in year one (Patriots) or the much bigger challenge but likely faster avenue to H.C. if he's the head-coach-in-waiting (Chiefs)?

Breaking news: Peter King just tweeted that Rams have informed McDaniels they will not hold him to his contract. he is free to leave if he wants to.

Who gives two ****s what his "influence" was? Two men with much more power than influence had the final say. Those two draft picks are on BB and Pioli, period!

Because his truly big mistakes in Denver had nothing to do with talent evaluations. And I don't live in some draft world utopia where every draft pick works out.

I agree. You cannot blame the OC or DC for any draft picks. Even if they lobby for a guy, it is still the GM and/or head coach's ultimate decision and they shouldn't go on one person's advice especially someone who doesn't do scouting for a living.

McDaniels was sold a bill of goods by his brother on Maroney, but if Belichick drafted Maroney solely on McDaniels' brother, Ben; then Belichick only has himself to blame.

I'm curious as to what the McDaniels critics would have the Patriots do in lieu of bringing him on board?

While I still never forgive McDaniels for seemingly choking in SB42, what he did with Cassel the next year was epic. Sign me up for this move. It makes a lot of sense. He's got a good rapport with Brady, a lot to prove again, and knows the system.

Does it matter? According to McDaniels' detractors, anyone could do what McDaniels did in 2007. Why not just hold a raffle on Patriots.com to win the offensive coordinator position for the New England Patriots. It would be a nice revenue stream for Kraft.

While I still never forgive McDaniels for seemingly choking in SB42, what he did with Cassel the next year was epic. Sign me up for this move. It makes a lot of sense. He's got a good rapport with Brady, a lot to prove again, and knows the system.

It goes back to the infamous coaching vs. execution debate. In SB42, I'm going to have to err on the side of execution. It's never a good sign when Justin Tuck is making your best offensive lineman his *****.

Mike Tice was just named offensive coordinator in Chicago. Given that sort of news to compare to, anyone who complains about McDaniels should probably be flayed alive.

Mike Tice was just named offensive coordinator in Chicago. Given that sort of news to compare to, anyone who complains about McDaniels should probably be flayed alive.
Or boiled in oil.....Oooh that would Hurt. :bricks:

It's worse than that. They are apparently going to do that OC and passing coordinator kind of crap that Dallas wasted time with and now the rumor is that if Schottenheimer is back in NY they might also be splitting up the offensive duties between an OC and a passing or running game coordinator...LOL All because all Tubby the HC knows about offense is red light/green light...

It's worse than that. They are apparently going to do that OC and passing coordinator kind of crap that Dallas wasted time with and now the rumor is that if Schottenheimer is back in NY they might also be splitting up the offensive duties between an OC and a passing or running game coordinator...LOL All because all Tubby the HC knows about offense is red light/green light...

Fans of those teams need to get used to the following phrase if they do go with this system - "Delay of game, 5 yard penalty".

BB is not retiring this season....way to many more records to own. He wants to be known as the greatest of all time just like any person would/should in there profession.

BB is getting older. BB has said he has no intention to coach forever. Josh McD was the next HC in waiting for NEP when he left, apparently b/c he was worried it would be too long before BB retired. Bringing him back will be with the idea he would be BB's replacement either this year or in 1-2 years after that.

BB is getting older. BB has said he has no intention to coach forever. Josh McD was the next HC in waiting for NEP when he left, apparently b/c he was worried it would be too long before BB retired. Bringing him back will be with the idea he would be BB's replacement either this year or in 1-2 years after that.
1) If Belichick were to retire after 2013 (I believe that's when his contract expires), McDaniels was always my choice to replace him although I don't think Belichick will be retiring then.

2) McDaniels coming here would likely be a good timing thing for him and the Patriots. A couple of top years would have him right back in the HC conversation elsewhere and it would give time for Ferentz or whoever our future O.C. may be to mature a little. A short term plan would work great for McDaniels and whoever Bill is looking to for the future. The reality is Bill probably expected to have O'Brien another year or two and now needs a good stopgap and McDaniels fits that perfectly.

Belichick also has said he has no intention of retiring any time soon. The guy has been a head coach his whole life and was raised to be a head coach. I don't see Belichick hanging it up until well into his 60s. He is 59 now. I say he has at least 5-10 years left as a head coach.

We could see BB & Kraft looking to move him to Head of Football Operations or Team President w J Kraft being CEO of the Operation, when Brady retires. JMD steps in with a solid org and foundation in place and mentors Brady's successor. That could be a plan.

The interesting back story drama for us now is where does Josh choose to go. Not sure money will be a motivator. There is a greater shot at immediate and consistent success here with Tommy but more career upside if he can right the ship in KC. And what will this do to Bill and Scott's relationship (and RAC's) because they need him a lot more than we do. Not sure Scott can survive much beyond the next year or two without a major or sustained turnaround, and Matt - who is a decent starter - is a system QB (as opposed to Tom who just happened to be the ideal QB for this system) who could flourish in this system except he's about as screwed up as he could be after the Haley to Charlie to Haley rollercoaster ride he's endured for the last 3 seasons. And he's set up to be the first fallguy exiting just ahead of his GM if they struggle again because fans there never appreciated him.

I'd like this. Always liked Josh, even with Denver. Haven't really followed him in St. Louis, because c'mon, that team is terrible. Has a real passion for the game... some people find that part of his personality irritating, but I'm all for him and TB working together again.

No one coaches forever. No one does anything forever. Smart people get that off the top. He's also said he's not close to retiring and he still enjoys the job. He's not burnt out which is what ends most coaching careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST