PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ask for permission to speak with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
McDaniels called the plays from 2005-2007. OBrien called the plays from 2008- Today. ...

2008 - 6th (that was the year with no Brady)

Good stats, thanks. But wasn't McD still here in '08? That's what convinced people he could be a head coach, his work with Cassel, IIRC.

I hope it will be written in his contract that he is never ever allowed to give any advise or opinion or have any influence whatsoever on draft picks. He is a horrible evaluator of talent.

That right there is why you are a 2nd string armchair quarterback....

Demaryius Thomas
Tim Tebow
Eric Decker
Beadles (Starting LG)
Walton (Starting C)
Robert Ayers
Moreno

All starters for the Broncos and all drafted by McDaniels. In addition he drafted Alphonso Smith.

Signed McGahee, Dawkins and Joe Mays among others.

Don't act as if he can't recognize talent.

i thought his offensive gameplan in your giants pats sb was ******ed but good enough to win, and he's smart and knows your system. this seems like a no brainer.

wouldnt be surprised if they make him assistant head coach and he takes over for belichik if he has good success that is.

he's a ****y little ******* though, not subtle at all

You don't have to think it was, it was retarted.

Interesting point. Since everyone should expect to be completely in the dark about when BB will retire until the moment he actually retires, fans are left to try to interpret signs. The only sign that bears watching is when a well established/well known coordinator joins the Patriots and stays with the Patriots while spurning other HC offers. I think it would be fair to believe BB is speaking of retirement if that happens.

No one is going to ever replace BB here.......Somewhere in a dark lab, a russian scientist is working under direct orders from Robert Kraft to invent a serum to make BB ageless and immortal.......once perfected the same serum will be given to Tom Brady!!!!

Good stats, thanks. But wasn't McD still here in '08? That's what convinced people he could be a head coach, his work with Cassel, IIRC.

McDaniels left after 2008, along with Pioli.

I Wonder what Les Steckel is doing right now?,Give him a call Bill :cool:

McDaniels had a worse running game to work with too, an aging Dillon then Maroney compared to BoB having Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Ridley.

So being roughly equal in terms of using the run game shows BoB didn't use it enough, having Brady is a great thing but sometimes you have to use the run game more than BoB has chosen to in the past.

In fairness, do we know BJGE, Woodhead, or Ridley are any good or is O'Brien and the Pats' offense make them look good?

You are right. My bad. Wasn't thinking for a second there.

Last edited:
No one is going to ever replace BB here.......Somewhere in a dark lab, a russian scientist is working under direct orders from Robert Kraft to invent a serum to make BB ageless and immortal.......once perfected the same serum will be given to Tom Brady!!!!

I wondered recently if Brady might be coaching material, but concluded he's too much of a perfectionist. I also think he wants to get into politics when his playing days are done. He'll probably become a senator then president.

While I would welcome the move, I would think KC would be a better career move for him. In NE, it'll be "been there done that", not to mention BB and TB getting much of the credit. In KC, he'll have the chance to improve an offense and leave a new mark.

"McD led the team to historical numbers in 2007.".......duh, I could have too. Randy Moss, folks.

LOL! McDaniels haters always pull the "anyone could do what McDaniels did in 2007". Then why has no one ever done it? There have been offenses as talented or even more talented and none of them have done it.

McDaniels made average QBs like Cassel and Orton look good.

This is horrible news.

Teams do NOT ask to interview other teams OCs to hire them as their own OC. They interview other team's OCs to hire them has head coaches.

This can only mean that BB is planning to retire at the end of the season, or become the GM and give up the coaching portion. Or maybe do the gig that Parcells wanted to have with the Jets, before BB quit that job.

Step back from the ledge....McDaneils is the only coach under contract in St Louis.....there is no guarantee that the new HC will want to retain him. And, IMO the only reason he is under contract is because the buy out must be expensive otherwise he would be gone to, so if another team hires him then they are off the hook for the buyout/salary....but the other team has to ask permission because he is under contract.

The only other reason I could see them holding onto McDaniels is if they view him as a potential HC candidate there....which I doubt very much.

BB is not retiring this season....way to many more records to own. He wants to be known as the greatest of all time just like any person would/should in there profession.

PFT just put out a story on this, claiming that both the Patriots and Chiefs have contacted the Rams about McDaniels.

Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Chiefs and Patriots have reached out to the Rams to seek permission to speak with McDaniels. It’s not known whether the Rams responded yet.

Patriots and Chiefs seek to speak to McDaniels | ProFootballTalk

The interesting thing about this with regards to the Chiefs is that it likely shows that Romeo is getting the head coaching job. If McDaniels was being looked at for the H.C. position, the Chiefs wouldn't need permission to talk to him.

While I would welcome the move, I would think KC would be a better career move for him. In NE, it'll be "been there done that", not to mention BB and TB getting much of the credit. In KC, he'll have the chance to improve an offense and leave a new mark.

Why would anyone find Kansas City more attractive than going to coach with one the best HC / QB combos ever? You're going to be alone in that thinking.

Demaryius Thomas
Tim Tebow
Eric Decker
Beadles (Starting LG)
Walton (Starting C)
Robert Ayers
Moreno

All starters for the Broncos and all drafted by McDaniels. In addition he drafted Alphonso Smith.

Just because someone is a starter doesn't mean they are good, especially when you consider where the person was drafted, Tebow might be starting, but he sucks as a qb, giving up picks to draft him where he was drafted was ridiculous. Moreno, is a borderline bust at this point. Can't really say anything about Decker, because Tebow sucks at this point. Thomas has not set the world on fire either, but then again, Tebow does suck.

Demaryius Thomas
Tim Tebow
Eric Decker
Beadles (Starting LG)
Walton (Starting C)
Robert Ayers
Moreno

You really want to use Tebow, Moreno and Ayers as good 1st round picks? Seriously? That's laughable. Alphonso Smith cost them another 1st rounder and he gave him away for Dan Gronkowski (yes that Dan Gronkowski). Darcel McBath and Richard Quinn in the second - both released. How about his influence with the Pats with Moron-ey and CJax.

You must be a 4th or 5th string AQ.

Why would anyone find Kansas City more attractive than going to coach with one the best HC / QB combos ever? You're going to be alone in that thinking.

Only reason I could think is the "anyone could do it with Brady and Belichick" thinking. But I don't think that'd be enough to get Josh to KC.

Speaking of the Chiefs, Haley might be looking for a return to St. Louis.

If McDaniels comes back here, the Jets boards will spontaneously combust. Green Beans fans want him to replace Schottenheimer.
I think thats added bonus, a two for one, an OC and a schadenfreude special

Last edited:
You really want to use Tebow, Moreno and Ayers as good 1st round picks? Seriously? That's laughable. Alphonso Smith cost them another 1st rounder and he gave him away for Dan Gronkowski (yes that Dan Gronkowski). Darcel McBath and Richard Quinn in the second - both released. How about his influence with the Pats with Moron-ey and CJax.

You must be a 4th or 5th string AQ.

Exactly, well said.

Just because someone is a starter doesn't mean they are good, especially when you consider where the person was drafted, Tebow might be starting, but he sucks as a qb, giving up picks to draft him where he was drafted was ridiculous. Moreno, is a borderline bust at this point. Can't really say anything about Decker, because Tebow sucks at this point. Thomas has not set the world on fire either, but then again, Tebow does suck.

I threw Moreno in there last, injuries have limited him, but he obviously hasn't lived up to expectations.

Tebow sucks in the conventional way, but he helped put them in a position where they were able to make the playoffs.

And a starting C and G on the best rushing team in the NFL, isn't worth mentioning? Thomas is talented and you can see it when you watch him play. Decker looks like a young Ed McCaffrey.

He also signed Lloyd, Dawkins, McGahee and Mays a solid young MLB.

The guy didn't exactly leave the cupboards bare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey