PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ask for permission to speak with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was nothing wrong with his gameplan. The Pats tried everything--screens, draws, crossing patterns, deep routes to Moss--nothing worked because the OL COULD NOT BLOCK THE GIANTS DL. If you want to blame somebody, blame those guys.

With a few more years of seasoning, I think McDaniels would be a worthy successor to BB.

+ Brady had the injury hurting his mobility.

This is horrible news.

Teams do NOT ask to interview other teams OCs to hire them as their own OC. They interview other team's OCs to hire them has head coaches.

This can only mean that BB is planning to retire at the end of the season, or become the GM and give up the coaching portion. Or maybe do the gig that Parcells wanted to have with the Jets, before BB quit that job.

This is horrible news.

Teams do NOT ask to interview other teams OCs to hire them as their own OC. They interview other team's OCs to hire them has head coaches.

This can only mean that BB is planning to retire at the end of the season, or become the GM and give up the coaching portion. Or maybe do the gig that Parcells wanted to have with the Jets, before BB quit that job.

The Rams head coach was fired leaving the assistants in limbo, correct? Which makes me wonder why the Pats even have to seek permission. I don't think this means BB is retiring.

This is horrible news.

Haha. Priceless.

The Rams head coach was fired leaving the assistants in limbo, correct? Which makes me wonder why the Pats even have to seek permission. I don't think this means BB is retiring.

McDaniels was the only coach not let go. The story seems to be that Kroenke likes McDaniels and wants him available for the next coach, in case the next coach wants him.

I'm kind of disappointed Obrien is leaving. I like the way the offense as evolved and it seemed with the emergence of Ridley and the rbbc that we were going to see a more balanced attack going forward.

My hope is if McDaniels does get hired that he utilizes the running game as well as the passing game. Seemed pretty abysmal in his tenure here. Hopefully he uses all the weapons at his disposal as a lot has changed since he's left. We have two amazing TE's,some young RB's ready to emerge. Can he use them to their full potential?

I disagree. He got Maroney to rush for 100+ yards a number of times. That's pretty damn impressive.

McDaniels was the only coach not let go. The story seems to be that Kroenke likes McDaniels and wants him available for the next coach, in case the next coach wants him.

Just waking up so sorry if this has been mentioned, but Bedard points out this story might make a McDaniels-Fisher relationship untenable (if Fisher is the Ram's coach):

McDaniels:
"You can put any tape you want to of Tennessee and there's going to be 10 penalties. You either coach it or you allow it to happen. That's how I look at that.

Fisher:
"We play aggressive — we don't play cheap," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "If there are things after the whistle or during the play, players are fined for them. But we're not a cheap football team. I don't know what he's referring to."

This is horrible news.

Well, this is a special situation because McDaniels will only be retained if the new head coach wants him. Odds are Fisher will not keep him if he is hired since he doesn't run a similiar offense. Another head coach might or might not.

Besides, the Pats at least in theory can hire McDaniels as an Assistant Head Coach while Belichick stays with the team. The bad news is to do that, they will need Scarnnechia to take a demotion or he quits or retire.

A friend of a friend of a friend saw Josh McDaniels with a Realtor in Franklin yesterday.

There was nothing wrong with his gameplan. The Pats tried everything--screens, draws, crossing patterns, deep routes to Moss--nothing worked because the OL COULD NOT BLOCK THE GIANTS DL. If you want to blame somebody, blame those guys.

With a few more years of seasoning, I think McDaniels would be a worthy successor to BB.

The Giants knew what the game plan would be because all they ever did was pass, pass, pass and pass. It's easy to pin your ears back when you know there is no chance of them running the ball.

What has he done as a talent evaluator, a head coach and an OC since he left the Pats to make people think he's worthy of replacing BB?

Last edited:
This is what's going to happen:

1. McDaniels gets re-hired by the pats
2. TB makes him look better than McD really is
3. McD gets hired by some desperate team like the jets to be the HC
4. McD gets fired by said desperate team
5. Process starts all over

This is horrible news.

Come on bro....this is dumb no offense.

Look, McDaniels is under contract and the Rams will not let him go "just because" now if they hire Fischer, I'm sure that he is going to let McDaniels go, but he might be owed money by St. Louis if that happens. On the other hand if they allow him to leave to another team, I'm sure the Rams would be off the hook for any money owed to McDaniels.

Bringing him back is a no brainer. Let him reestablish his HC creditials, give BB someone he trusts to take over for O'Brien. What will be interesting to see is when the Rams release him, how quickly he returns to NE, does he return for the playoffs?

The best case scenario is the Rams hire Fischer (keeping him away from the Phins, becuase he is a very good HC), then KC makes a mistake and hires someone not named Romeo to be their next HC, Romeo comes back to NE to be the D coordinator, McDaniels is the OC, and away we go...............

I'm kind of disappointed Obrien is leaving. I like the way the offense as evolved and it seemed with the emergence of Ridley and the rbbc that we were going to see a more balanced attack going forward.

My hope is if McDaniels does get hired that he utilizes the running game as well as the passing game. Seemed pretty abysmal in his tenure here. Hopefully he uses all the weapons at his disposal as a lot has changed since he's left. We have two amazing TE's,some young RB's ready to emerge. Can he use them to their full potential?

McDaniels led to this offense to historic levels in 2007 BEFORE the rules made this league into Arena Football this past season. McDaniels might have had Brady throw for 6,000 yards and 60 TDs this year based on what he did in 2007. In 2006, he helped Brady put a pretty decent offense out there with no weapons.

McDaniels called the plays from 2005-2007. OBrien called the plays from 2008- Today. Here are where the Pats were ranked in rushing for those years:

2005 - 24th (but that was because of Corey Dillon hitting the age wall pretty fast)
2006 - 12th
2007 - 13th
2008 - 6th (that was the year with no Brady)
2009 - 12th
2010 - 9th
2011 - 20th

So basically, both O'Brien and McDaniels utilized the run about the same. Other than 05, McDaniels was never abismal in calling the run.

EDIT: Ooops. McDaniels was here in 2008. My bad.

Last edited:
Count me in as one who is a big fan of this move. Offense will not miss a beat with an offseason.

I especially like the strong vote of confidence this shows from BB towards Josh.

Great move. Good luck to O'Brien, he is going to realize just how good he had it here, like they all do.

...now let's have a great week of practice and get back to the task at hand...

Given the carousel that the Patriots coordinator positions have become, I'm all for bringing back an experienced guy who Belichick has already established a working rhythm with, and who can serve as a genuine coordinator from day 1. BB wears enough hats as it is without another of those pseudo-coordinator training years. (If only Romeo were available as DC, sigh.)

Hmm.......

I don't get this move at all.....but I guess that is why I don't get paid the big bucks to make these decisions! The guy was an OK Offensive Coordinator......I will always remember his inability/stubborness to make adjustments during the SB (that shall never be spoken of again). Even Brady reportedly got in a heated argument in the locker room because he wasn't doing ANYTHING to buy Brady time.....or counterattack the incessant blitzing.....Next, let's look at what he has done since he left.......FAILED Miserably at Denver....Made some of the worst coaching and personnel decisions in recent memory. Got rid of Hillis, Marshall....who knows who else......Drafts the enlightened one in the first freaking round....Next, after getting fired for that dumpster fire.....he gets hired by St. Louis....I know they have issues....but he puts out some of the WORST offensive schemes and the team is UNABLE TO do anything offensively.....and now BB wants the guy back here????

I am not happy about this decision at all......would rather he promote the next ballboy than go back to this guy........

So basically, both O'Brien and McDaniels utilized the run about the same.

McDaniels had a worse running game to work with too, an aging Dillon then Maroney compared to BoB having Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Ridley.

So being roughly equal in terms of using the run game shows BoB didn't use it enough, having Brady is a great thing but sometimes you have to use the run game more than BoB has chosen to in the past.

I think my main skepticism with McDaniels would be: would he be gone again within two years?

Can't you say that about ANY OC that works with Brady and Belichick though???? Brady and Belichick make all these guys LOOK like geniuses......until the umbilical cord is cut!! ;)

Last edited:
Hmm.......

No.....please, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hold him responsible for that cluster eff in Arizona. First half game plan sucked donkey testicles.

"McD led the team to historical numbers in 2007.".......duh, I could have too. Randy Moss, folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye