PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2015 Off-Seaon Free Agency Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a player really be visiting with the front office at the stadium at 10 pm on a sunday?

This will probably amount to nothing but I'll continue to play along for fun, as it has been a slow news day. His latest post says that Johnson is one of the players that he is talking about but that there is another player (free agent, not a trade) who is currently in Foxboro but hasn't officially signed. I assume that Johnson isn't the "big signing" (Shorts and Pierre Thomas also don't qualify as "big") so only the following free agents would seem to qualify as "big":

1. Hardy (seems very unlikely given off the field issues)
2. Clay (could they have been lurking this whole time? seems unlikely given addition of Chandler)
3. Damon Harrison (stealing young stud from Jets DL)

yeah Hardy would seem to be the only plausible "big" name, as he could be looking for a one year "prove it" deal with a winning team with a good reputation. That type of deal could fit money-wise with the Pats. However, it doesn't make much sense because although Hardy's better than Chandler Jones, it's hard to imagine the Pats taking that type of risk while simultaneously benching a young, up and coming player. (although truth be told I think Chandler Jones is a little overrated).

Chris Johnson was the "big" news? A washed up has been who thinks he's a thug?

Yeah I'll pass on that.

I'd rather go with James a White than waste money on that nitwit.

Chris Johnson was the "big" news? A washed up has been who thinks he's a thug?

Yeah I'll pass on that.

I'd rather go with James a White than waste money on that nitwit.

He's referring to Stevie Johnson, the first player he was "screaming" about and turned out right (so far).

He also said the second "big" news is not a traded player, but a FA. The only big name FA left is Hardy.

While he's an All-Pro on the field, Kraft would never touch that. My conclusion: he's full of it. :D We'll see soon I guess.

he did say "Darrelle who?", and that it was not a trade, to me suggesting Tramon Williams. But that doesn't make sense because Tramon Williams was in Cleveland. Also, the Pats don't typically offer top of the market deals, relying on their reputation as a winning organization to try to sign FA at a discount. But the Packers win plenty, so if Tramon signs a discount deal it's likely to be with them.

He's referring to Stevie Johnson, the first player he was "screaming" about and turned out right (so far).

He also said the second "big" news is not a traded player, but a FA. The only big name FA left is Hardy.

While he's an All-Pro on the field, Kraft would never touch that. My conclusion: he's full of it. :D We'll see soon I guess.

It depends on how you mean "big", I guess

Hardy
Bowe
Wisniewski
Williams
Bryant
Wilfork
Starks
Blalock
Crabtree
Mathis

Those, and more, could fit the label

Maybe Mathis? Seems like a stretch though.

I doubt Patriots would ever trade with the Jets...

The DT that many are speaking of (Harrison) is a RFA who the Jets have placed a 2nd round tender on. There wouldn't be a need for trade in this case, although the Jets would have the opportunity to match any offer that the Pats may place.

Basically, the same as Emmanuel Sanders when he was still with Pittsburgh--although in this scenario, it's a defensive player and a round higher, since Sanders would've only cost a 3rd.

Mathis isn't a FA so he can't visit anywhere.
Was referring to Rashean Mathis. Would be a CB replacement so could fit the "Darrelle who?" tag line, but it sounds far fetched.

The DT that many are speaking of (Harrison) is a RFA who the Jets have placed a 2nd round tender on. There wouldn't be a need for trade in this case, although the Jets would have the opportunity to match any offer that the Pats may place.

Basically, the same as Emmanuel Sanders when he was still with Pittsburgh--although in this scenario, it's a defensive player and a round higher, since Sanders would've only cost a 3rd.
There's almost no harm in trying him for a modest contract offer. Worst case scenario is you force the Jets to lose cap space. Due to the value of a second round pick, though, it doesn't seem too likely. If it were a third I would say it's a no brainier.

There's almost no harm in trying him for a modest contract offer. Worst case scenario is you force the Jets to lose cap space. Due to the value of a second round pick, though, it doesn't seem too likely. If it were a third I would say it's a no brainier.

Yes, you're right, it would force their hand a year early, but I don't think they are in a bad enough position cap-wise to even mess with it. It doesn't seem relevant in this situation. In the situation of Pittsburgh + Sanders a couple of years ago, the Steelers were pressed up against the cap quite tightly. I don't think that's the case with the Jets right now. According to sportrac.com, they are currently about 20m dollars below the cap.

One drawback would be that you somehow lowball the offer, thus allowing the Jets to retain him on a deal that they can not only afford, but were more than prepared to make say, next year--instead of this year. Or, in a worst case scenario, you actually end up saving them money by offering a multi year deal. I doubt that would be something that we'd have to worry about with Belichick, but it could be something to consider if the two organizations may have differing opinions on what Harrison may be worth in 2016 and beyond.

I also think there could be risk in making any kind of offer a year early. For example, what if Harrison has a huge 2015 season? I don't know...I guess there are pluses and minuses just like anything else.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

One drawback would be that you somehow lowball the offer, thus allowing the Jets to retain him on a deal that they can not only afford, but were more than prepared to make say, next year--instead of this year. Or, in a worst case scenario, you actually end up saving them money by offering a multi year deal. I doubt that would be something that we'd have to worry about with Belichick, but it could be something to consider if the two organizations may have differing opinions on what Harrison may be worth in 2016 and beyond.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/
I thought of that too after I posted. Not surprised you did too. :) It's certainly an interesting dynamic.

I thought of that too after I posted. Not surprised you did too. :) It's certainly an interesting dynamic.

Yeah, I'm guessing the unknown dynamic may come into play in regards to there being very limited interest with RFAs, although I don't really know for sure. There may also be a bit of an unwritten rule as well, although I doubt Belichick would worry about that if the situation were right.

I think the Sanders example from a couple of years ago was a great opportunity due to their limited cap space.

PatriotsSB** is a fun twitter guy to follow, he's not Erica Leigh part deux you nitwits. He's no more or less credible than anyone on this board.

"you nitwits"

Ironical?

an incongruity?

PatriotsSB** is a fun twitter guy to follow, he's not Erica Leigh part deux you nitwits. He's no more or less credible than anyone on this board.
How is he credible at all ? He just likes attention, that's why he did this. Wants people to retweet his nonsense. He has NO inside info, he's just being a douche. I even called him on his nonsense and he came back with a *****y reply (and without any valid news of course).

This would be a great signing, but let's remember that the NYJ have the opportunity to match any offers that he may get.

It would also cost us a 2nd round pick. While I'm all for making an offer to Harrison, I'm not sure that it's very realistic.

It will be after the Pats are awarded the Jets # 2 pick for tampering.

The Jets can buy their pick back so to speak.

How is he credible at all ? He just likes attention, that's why he did this. Wants people to retweet his nonsense. He has NO inside info, he's just being a douche. I even called him on his nonsense and he came back with a *****y reply (and without any valid news of course).

Which is the allure for some people.

Every off season these NFL fortune tellers come out of woodwork. Schefter is the only one to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe