PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2015 Off-Seaon Free Agency Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe he thinks this one is different. He's not just being diplomatic.

Keenan Lewis being shopped by New Orleans.

Would solve one half of the CB problem...

There were a couple of different reports that the Saints were trying to re-work his deal, and another that said he wanted the rest of his contract guaranteed.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/03/new_orleans_saints_shopping_co.html

The rest of his contract for the next 3 years is $20m

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/keenan-lewis/

To give you an idea of the Saints cap jail. Lewis has a cap hit of $4.9 million if they keep him. If they trade him, the cap number goes up to $6.9 million. I don't see how they can trade him, unless they are looking at next year's cap and seeing no way out of jail. Maybe take some hits now so the bleeding isn't fatal in 2016?

To give you an idea of the Saints cap jail. Lewis has a cap hit of $4.9 million if they keep him. If they trade him, the cap number goes up to $6.9 million. I don't see how they can trade him, unless they are looking at next year's cap and seeing no way out of jail. Maybe take some hits now so the bleeding isn't fatal in 2016?

Doubtful, in my opinion. They're playing in a relatively weak division where they can easily re-build on the fly and still be favored by many to hit the postseason.

They paid out high priced pacts to BOTH running backs in CJ Spiller (4.5 AAV) as well as Mark Ingram (4.0 AAV). If they were just making moves to free up cap space, it would seem unlikely that they'd be willing to pay that kind of money to multiple RBs.

On top of that, they also brought in Browner (6.0 AAV), and added Ellerbe who has a current hit of (8.5 AAV).

Just because they made some trades to acquire new replenished draft picks (they now have 5 in the top three rounds) and dumped some other cap room doesn't necessarily mean that every single move is pointing to their "cap jail" that you speak of. They aren't in a good position by any means, but they're obviously still paying out big pacts and may end up pairing Lewis with Browner.

So....What happened to..

Big

Stay Tuned

Revis Who?

lmao

Doubtful, in my opinion. They're playing in a relatively weak division where they can easily re-build on the fly and still be favored by many to hit the postseason.

They paid out high priced pacts to BOTH running backs in CJ Spiller (4.5 AAV) as well as Mark Ingram (4.0 AAV). If they were just making moves to free up cap space, it would seem unlikely that they'd be willing to pay that kind of money to multiple RBs.

On top of that, they also brought in Browner (6.0 AAV), and added Ellerbe who has a current hit of (8.5 AAV).

Just because they made some trades to acquire new replenished draft picks (they now have 5 in the top three rounds) and dumped some other cap room doesn't necessarily mean that every single move is pointing to their "cap jail" that you speak of. They aren't in a good position by any means, but they're obviously still paying out big pacts and may end up pairing Lewis with Browner.

They have $1,983,985 in Cap Room without Ellerbe, and CJ Spiller....

Bush isn't a Patriots type player, he'd need two lockers, one for him and one for his ego.

Pierre Thomas is our type of guy.

Isn't it possible his ego has been deflated a few PSI by the cold reality of mediocre NFL success?

Mayve we can have Keenan Lewis and Jahri Evans ( next year we can extend or cut him - only 2m dead money)... They need cap relief. We have two needs. We can trade Dennard ( cap relief+ they will need a CB) + 7th. Our urgent needs are: 2 CB (draft + keenan - check), 1 OL(G) ( Evans - check) , 2DT ( Vince + Draft :D) .. We have cap space. I know that Evans numbers are big and thats why they will give him for nothing.

They have $1,983,985 in Cap Room without Ellerbe, and CJ Spiller....

Like I said--they aren't in a good situation, but it hardly points to them having to cut a bunch of players, as was suggested.

For the record, they restructured Ellerbe today.

@NEPD_Loyko: At this point I think it's safe to say #Patriots have chosen to sit out free agency.

Yeah sheard and Chandler arent anything.
Sarcasm off

@NEPD_Loyko: At this point I think it's safe to say #Patriots have chosen to sit out free agency.

It seems like they are going slow but it would make no sense for them to be done when they have cash they can spend and need to spend.

Pats are always one of the last teams to jump into FA..besides the 2007 season and maybe last year...they sit out a lot or wait a week or two. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I get if you get giddy over bush or harvin...but it's how the pats are...and it works

Last edited:
The Pats and Green Bay seem to have the same approach in FA. They like their own players.

Couple of pretty successful franchises.

A bit of a different approach to things with GB paying Rodgers top dollar for franchise QBs, as well as double digit AAV pacts to big time receivers Jordy Nelson AND Randall Cobb---but yes, you're right, both organizations prefer to try and avoid big splashes in free agency, and that's normally the better approach.

On the other side of the coin, one could make the argument (right or wrong) that the big time moves with Revis, Browner, and LaFell all put us over the top as the clear cut AFC favorite last year, so there's a fine balance that needs to try and be achieved. In this case, all we can do is trust Belichick. He's done a pretty decent job so far.

A bit of a different approach to things with GB paying Rodgers top dollar for franchise QBs, as well as double digit AAV pacts to big time receivers Jordy Nelson AND Randall Cobb---but yes, you're right, both organizations prefer to try and avoid big splashes in free agency, and that's normally the better approach.

On the other side of the coin, one could make the argument (right or wrong) that the big time moves with Revis, Browner, and LaFell all put us over the top as the clear cut AFC favorite last year, so there's a fine balance that needs to try and be achieved. In this case, all we can do is trust Belichick. He's done a pretty decent job so far.

Yeah, Revis at one year for 12 and spreading the cap over two years was just too sweet to pass up.

Still can't believe it happened.

Good post sir.
DW Toys

Really not that much out there I'd want other than DT, honestly. Wisnewski (don't know much about him, but he's rated highly and good size), Bush/Thomas...I'd take a couple of the receivers, but not on big $$$, as I like our receiving corps right now.

Now, for DT, there's still a few worth grabbing at the right price.
I like the Wesniewski option. Has to be an upgrade on Connolly and Wendell. He can play multiple positions. Please let us not have a pair rookie O Linemen trying to protect TB.
DW Toys

I don't really see this as sitting FA out. They've made a few signings. There are also still solid players out there and we are only 4-5 days in. I expect to see a few signings this week.

I don't really see this as sitting FA out. They've made a few signings. There are also still solid players out there and we are only 4-5 days in. I expect to see a few signings this week.
NO! If you don't sign free agents to big contracts and win the media war you sat out of free agency.

Further to the ridiculous comment of mine above, how far inside Rex's head are the Patriots! I've never seen a HC in any sport who needs to constantly compare his phallic size against Belichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST