PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2015 draft needs to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Pats are probably the best team in the NFL. That being said they are this way because of smart contracts, hitting on FA signings (which they have hit on very well.. usually not the sure thing it has been the past 3 years) and drafting from years 2009-2013. I am here to talk about drafting 2014 to today.

One of the things that makes a championship team is low priced talent which you need to get through the draft so you can afford to add high priced talent at market value.

For 2009 on the Pats drafted consistently well with a common influx of low priced STARTERS (starters are the key word).. Particularly at OT, DB and LB.

2013 was a good year. Collins, Harmon, Ryan. All pay dividends and played large snaps.

2014 - Easley (off team) JG (we will see.. maybe the best choice we made this year), Stork (was good in 2014... needs to stay healthy though) White (may not make the team but was okay in 2015) Flemming (eh..)

No one else worth mentioning. By the start of this season it might be possible JG is the only 2014 pick left on this year... it wouldn't shock me. We got lucky to get a gift with Butler who if the draft was redone probably goes top 10. The 2014 draft overall seems to have been a failure though.

Back to back failed drafts are really hard to recover from so we need to hope the 2015 class steps up and impacts.

Brown, Richards, Flowers, Grissom, Mason, Roberts (maybe Jackson) are the most likely to do this (I would put Brown in the already did camp). We will be in need of these young cheap contracts with players we feel confident in if a few too many of our guys walk.

Last edited:
Like you said, Brown is already there. I think Mason and Flowers have a good chance, and I wouldn't write off
Jackson and Roberts. Dunno about the others though. Richards and Grissom were drafted highly but both are buried in the depth chart and last year didn't show any flashes of potential, just flashes of average.

Like you said, Brown is already there. I think Mason and Flowers have a good chance, and I wouldn't write off
Jackson and Roberts. Dunno about the others though. Richards and Grissom were drafted highly but both are buried in the depth chart and last year didn't show any flashes of potential, just flashes of average.

I don't have high hopes for Richards. He's a very smart football player, but the athleticism and speed just isn't there. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I have no clue what the hell they saw in him to take him that high.

What's the difference in perception of a failed draft vs nowhere to put players we are drafting this year? Belichick has shown he can draft useful players when there are spots available and he has shown he likes to roll the dice when there's no room but just in case let me pick _____.

Also what's the difference between a good price free agent and a mid to low round draft pick? Still say fans put too much weight in the draft when Belichick himself has said it's just one method of player acquisition. When you're one of the best teams in the league there just are not many spots open from year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back