PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's Rodney mark II and that's why I think BB drafted him

I'll take Bill belichick's opinion on the character and play of Chung. Thanks for your insight though.....
Come on, this is the NFL draft. Sure every one and a while teams make good picks but there are tons of busts. What was belichick looking at when he evaluated Chad Jackson? Not to harp on the patriots but come on, bellichick is not a god at evaluating talent.

I am not a pro but I find it very suspect to pick a player from the worst secondary in college football as a second round pick. (I am a ducks fan I would know) - anyway I am off now.... good luck with chung. Just remember he routinely got beat by tight ends in college! Good luck and goodbye.

Last edited:
Come on, this is the NFL draft. Sure every one and a while teams make good picks but there are tons of busts. What was belichick looking at when he evaluated Chad Jackson? Not to harp on the patriots but come on, bellichick is not a god at evaluating talent.

I am not a pro but I find it very suspect to pick a player from the worst secondary in college football as a second round pick. (I am a ducks fan I would know) - anyway I am off now.... good luck with chung. Just remember he routinely got beat by tight ends in college! Good luck and goodbye.

Ummmmm....BB's talent evaluation has had way more hits in late rounds.

every safetly gets beat...every corner does too.

as stated. Chung will not be a starter on the Pats unless he beats out James Sanders. He will have a few years to learn a system that turned a castoff released Rodney Harrison into a superbowl cjamp. Turned a corner from Syracuse into apro bowl safety and got a pick for him that turned into Corey Dillon, who won a superbowl. Flipped a 2nd rounder from Illinois into a free safey ( Eugene Wilson), Coached up a 4th rounder to become last year's highest saught after free agent corner (Assante Sammuel)

Chad Jackson? who is he? Never even heard of him.....

You are entitled to your opinion. However, I do not think that you can call any member of the 2008 secondary "productive". Almost every team dominated us. We were the worst in the NCAA.

This is my last post on this, because a NE Patriots message board is not the place to have this conversation, but we were not even close to the worst secondary in the NCAA. As I previously mentioned, our scheme sold out to stop the run....plus our offense plays and scores very fast, so teams get more plays....plus our offense is very explosive and teams get behind quickly often and pass far more against us than against other teams, so if you just look at passing yards per game, then you are going to be misled.

By total yards we were indeed very poor (not last, but #111/119). However if you look at yards per attempt and turnovers forced....two stats that are far more important to coaches than total yards, you see that we were not even close to "the worst in the NCAA." Here is a comparison of Oregon and some schools that had great pass defenses according to your preferred statistical measure:

#111 Oregon -- 6.62 yards per attempt / 16 int
#3 NM St. --- 6.38 yards per attempt / 9 int
#14 Tulane --- 7.2 yards per attempt / 9 int
#15 VA Tech --- 7.14 yards per attempt / 20 int
#22 Oregon St. --- 6.64 yards per attempt / 13 int

I could go on and on, but basically just know that your perception of Oregon as one of the worst pass defenses in the country last season is flat out wrong. Also, if you look at NCAA pass efficiency defense statistics, which take into account stuff like yards per attempt, TD-Int ratio and the like, Oregon was ranked #57 in the country, which is probably about right for their statistical performance. Even at #57, I'd say that underrates their play/ability, because of us selling out against the run and always significantly losing time of possesion, but it is certainly much more accurate than your ridiculous "worst in the NCAA" comment.

You are sooooo not a Duck fan. Beaver or Dawg for sure.

Good call, man. As I stated in another thread, I cannot wait to see Chung abolutely impale Cotchery.

And since when did this become a Ducks forum? :eek::)

One more thought I just had about Chung as a fit for the Patriots. This is pretty speacialized and wouldn't be a primary reason for drafting the guy, but there is probably nobody you could have drafted who has more experience defending the spread option (or Wildcat, as NFL folks all seem to call it) than Patrick Chung. The kid practiced against one of the two best (Oregon and Florida) spread-option offenses in the country every single day. He knows every read and every play that offense runs, inside and out.

This offense is one place where college teams are more sophisticated than the NFL teams that run it and I can guarantee that the Dolphins "Wildcat" offense will not fool Chung one bit.

One more thought I just had about Chung as a fit for the Patriots. This is pretty speacialized and wouldn't be a primary reason for drafting the guy, but there is probably nobody you could have drafted who has more experience defending the spread option (or Wildcat, as NFL folks all seem to call it) than Patrick Chung. The kid practiced against one of the two best (Oregon and Florida) spread-option offenses in the country every single day. He knows every read and every play that offense runs, inside and out.

This offense is one place where college teams are more sophisticated than the NFL teams that run it and I can guarantee that the Dolphins "Wildcat" offense will not fool Chung one bit.

Not even with the mighty Pat White now taking the Wildcat snaps for the Doofins? ;)

I'm impressed that he was a 16 year old college student.....who made the starting lineup as a redshirt!

who else has done that?

Last edited:
A question to Vic Peppers Carruci on Pat Chung during a chat from today.

#
#
Mark, Boston
02:02 PM ET
What can you tell me about the SS Chung that the Pats picked? Since we are used to watching Rodney play here will we be satisfied?
Carucci_small
Vic Carucci, Senior Writer, NFL.com
Chung is an outstanding safety, perhaps the best of this year's college crop. He is a very agile athlete and can hit a ton. It's far too early to compare him to a player such as Harrison in his prime, but I think he has a chance to be a very good one. And his tremendous instincts and superb techniques, especially when it comes to tackling, will serve him well working in a Patriot scheme that places a high premium on those qualities, as well as on discipline.

Good call! This guy sounds like he hits.

HARD!!!

Everybody Pat Chung tonight!

Ummmmm....BB's talent evaluation has had way more hits in late rounds.

every safetly gets beat...every corner does too.

as stated. Chung will not be a starter on the Pats unless he beats out James Sanders. He will have a few years to learn a system that turned a castoff released Rodney Harrison into a superbowl cjamp. Turned a corner from Syracuse into a pro bowl safety and got a pick for him that turned into Corey Dillon, who won a superbowl. Flipped a 2nd rounder from Illinois into a free safey ( Eugene Wilson), Coached up a 4th rounder to become last year's highest saught after free agent corner (Assante Sammuel)

Chad Jackson? who is he? Never even heard of him.....

Are you talking about Tebucky Jones? That guy was never a pro bowl safety.

Chung reminds me of Ronnie Lott and if he is a percentage of Lott and Harrison I think we have solidified our secondary.

That's a pompous attitude isn't it? "(I am a ducks fan I would know)".

I'll settle on the professionals opinion thank you.

See you bye bye now.

I'm impressed that he was a 16 year old college student.....who made the starting lineup as a redshirt!

who else has done that?
Very impressive! Love the pick. :cool:

Amobi Okoye of Louisville accomplished similarly - he was the youngest player in the NCAA as a true freshman at age 16 in which he played in all 13 games - he also graduated in 3.5 years.

Last edited:
Re: Oregon perspective

Sadly, the boy died just 3 weeks after the story was published. Chung and Thurmond sound like excellent character guys. They may be good football players, but they are even better people.

Ducks' visit lessens pain of family's loss. - That's an excellent article about two amazing young men. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you take 2 minutes and do so.

What an incredible gift they gave Andrew and his family! Thank you for sharing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News