PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tubby Ratfink keeping his Browns job

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricMangina.gif

Well played. Sure don't here references to the Byzantine Court on patsfans.com too often.

Thanks! :D

Probably not too many here have read Procopius, either.......

But those who would engage in NFL management or politics in general would do well to read him. A better read, though longer, than Machiavelli. :cool:

Tubby Ratfink is keeping his job because Jon Gruden wants another year in the broadcast booth. Holmgren is keeping his powder dry until he gets one of "his" guys for HC and they're not available right now.

Interesting theory. But what if Mangini coaches that team up to be a playoff contender? Would Holmgren sabotage a run like that to open the door for Gruden?

Interesting theory. But what if Mangini coaches that team up to be a playoff contender? Would Holmgren sabotage a run like that to open the door for Gruden?

It'll be based on the amount of improvement and where the team is at the end of the season.

Playoffs-Coach stays
9-7 and miss on tiebreakers- Should stay
Start 8-3 and collapse at the end- questionable
6-10- Doesn't look good.

It'll be based on the amount of improvement and where the team is at the end of the season.

Playoffs-Coach stays
9-7 and miss on tiebreakers- Should stay
Start 8-3 and collapse at the end- questionable
6-10- Doesn't look good.

What about starting 3-8 and having another late run? Apparently it was the late run that saved Tubby this time around. I'm fascinated by the idea that Holmgren really doesn't like Tubby but is keeping him because his preferred choice is currently unavailable. Even if Tubby leads Cleveland to the playoffs next season and loses in the first round, I could imagine Holmgren still wanting "his guy" but being hard-pressed to justify a change.

What about starting 3-8 and having another late run? Apparently it was the late run that saved Tubby this time around..

Wish I knew, Tunescribe. I think many factors will be taken into account like the talent they were able to get in the offseason, etc. and what Mangini did with it.

I'm fascinated by the idea that Holmgren really doesn't like Tubby but is keeping him because his preferred choice is currently unavailable. Even if Tubby leads Cleveland to the playoffs next season and loses in the first round, I could imagine Holmgren still wanting "his guy" but being hard-pressed to justify a change.

Quite frankly, I'm not dismissing the idea that Holmgren himself would come in and coach the team in 2011. Let Mangini do the clean up and Holmgren comes in and takes the team to the next level- expecially if the land a great QB prospect.

Last edited:
While I agree that Holmgren likely decided against a change since his preferred Head Coach wasn't available there's a few other reasons he might have made the decision he did

Crennell and Savage are costing the organization $21 million in their remaining contract.

Kokinis is likely to cost them another $4 million.

Mangini's remaining contract is worth $12 million. His assistants collectively must come to a few million too.

Holmgren is now costing Lerner and the organization another $50 million.

Holmgren's in discussions with another GM candidate now.

Add it all up with the salary of a new head coach - maybe as much as the $7 million Carroll is demanding - and you're probably @ $100 million.

That's a lot to tie up in the front office - especially seeing as the majority aren't even working for the orgnanization.

And while there's no true cap on the Front Office, tying up $100 million isn't going to help you when you need to sign Cribbs and overpay to attract free agents.

Now, consider all of this against the backdrop of a possible lockout - freezing Lerner's cashflow which, even if he doesn't have to pay the players, still needs to come up with $100 million for all staff, past and present...

well, one would think Lerner might not be too keen to spend another $20 million on a new coach along with fulfilling Mangini and his assistants contract... and at the very least Holmgren might want to invest that money into quality players rather than fired coaches.

If Holmgren's desired candidate were available maybe this is a different matter - and if there were no threat of a disruption of income, perhaps different - but for now, what's the downside of Holmgren temporarilly giving into the Manlove for Mangini eminating from Browns fans giddy over 5 wins?

He should have been retained. The team won four straight to end the year. He has that team heading in the right direction and has 11 picks to play with this year. Like him or not letting him go would have been a tough call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back