PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Staley Fired in LA

Lights Out and Whales Vagina ... no way Bill goes there ... but the memes would be great.
Lights Out New England ... let's start there.

There are several possible landing spots. I’m not sure Chargers are his best bet.

how much cap space do they have? How about Washington?
I think Dallas and LA are his best options. Bill doesn’t wanna start over with a loser teams that don’t have an established QB.

I'm shocked Spanos actually fired Telesco. He could be making a big move for Bill in the offseason.

The Chargers roster is old and sucks. Why are you shocked about Telesco being fired? The Chargers have Herbert at QB and 32 yo Allen at WR. Ekeler, James, Slater, and Bosa? After that it is pretty slim pickings. A very top heavy team with little depth. Fans love the big names, but their 5 - 9 record tells the real story.

Amazing he lasted that long. Stud QB, good receivers, versatile running back and couldn't get them to score points. He was a defensive guy with Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, and Derwin James and couldn't field a competent defense.

Mack is too old. No DBs. The roster is top heavy with no depth, but the fans love the big names at the top. I would be surprised if BB goes to the Chargers. They need a rebuild and BB is too old for that.

I feel this too. I have been an IBWT guy until probably the FM/JJ debacle. He's missed a lot on drafts, especially at the top end of the draft, and as good as he is on coaching up JAGs to be serviceable to very good DBs, he's equally bad at developing the wideouts, which as been beat to death here. Interesting to me, as it's just an opposite side of the coin. Anyway... The team is not as sharp as it used to be, situationally, and I really think for all his successes and greatness, I truly believe it's time. It's a true crossroads and now feels to be as good of a time as any.
He’s only 15 behind, he could get that by next year if he gets a qb. The transition is to mayo, keep everything in tact.
If the qb had worked out we’d be right on track in the rebuild, with 100 mill in cap space to finish it off. So we throw 30 at the qb and have 70 to finish it off.

The Chargers roster is old and sucks. Why are you shocked about Telesco being fired? The Chargers have Herbert at QB and 32 yo Allen at WR. Ekeler, James, Slater, and Bosa? After that it is pretty slim pickings. A very top heavy team with little depth. Fans love the big names, but their 5 - 9 record tells the real story.
Because he's brought in some talent, but didn't realize how bad his coaching hires where within the last 10 years since he's been the GM. McCoy, Lynn and now Staley was the final nail in the coffin. Those were some really bad hires.

Mack is too old. No DBs. The roster is top heavy with no depth, but the fans love the big names at the top. I would be surprised if BB goes to the Chargers. They need a rebuild and BB is too old for that.
Mack is having an All Pro year, but he can't be trusted going forward. The cliff can happen at any minute. There aren't many situations for Bill where her could just slide right in and work isn't needed. Kraft may have a really tough decision upcoming if teams approach him regarding Bill.
I think Dallas and LA are his best options. Bill doesn’t wanna start over with a loser teams that don’t have an established QB.
If Dallas flames out in the Wild Card, you could be onto something. If Jerry ever wants to win a Super Bowl before he keels over, snagging Bill and putting his pride aside would be his best bet.

Bill with talent has always been a dangerous combo.

Because he's brought in some talent, but didn't realize how bad his coaching hires where within the last 10 years since he's been the GM. McCoy, Lynn and now Staley was the final nail in the coffin. Those were some really bad hires.

Mack is having an All Pro year, but he can't be trusted going forward. The cliff can happen at any minute. There aren't many situations for Bill where her could just slide right in and work isn't needed. Kraft may have a really tough decision upcoming if teams approach him regarding Bill.

If Dallas flames out in the Wild Card, you could be onto something. If Jerry ever wants to win a Super Bowl before he keels over, snagging Bill and putting his pride aside would be his best bet.

Bill with talent has always been a dangerous combo.
A lot of people in the media also say that Bill is on great terms with Jerry. If that becomes available I think it will happen. Wouldn’t that be a huge story going and helping “Americas Team” win a Super Bowl after all these years.

Talk about what an F-U that would be to Kraft.

They will get a pick. A 2nd rounder will do. The Krafts have the same advantage the Jets had in 2000 - time was on their side because an acceptable successor and staff was already in the organization.

The NFL calendar waits for no one. With the Chargers or any other team, Bill would need to be in place in time to hire a staff and prepare for the new league year. It won’t come to this, but the Pats could dismiss Bill the day before the legal tampering period begins, appoint Mayo and Wolf/Stewart interim HC and GM and be ready to roll.

I think the Krafts are dead set on getting an asset to help with the rebuild for Belichick. In addition to time being on their side, they could also underwrite a part of Bill’s salary , and by doing so, essentially buy a draft pick from Belichick’s new team.

If Bill is locked in on returning somewhere next year, then yes, Kraft has the advantage.

But if not, BB can take a year off, maybe do some TV or consulting, and look for a "Brady to Tampa Bay" situation.

As noted above, Dallas would be that type of landing spot this year, and who knows what jobs become available in 2025?

Word is Bill has been talking to Parcells. If anyone knows how to navigate a situation like this, it's him.

A lot of people in the media also say that Bill is on great terms with Jerry. If that becomes available I think it will happen. Wouldn’t that be a huge story going and helping “Americas Team” win a Super Bowl after all these years.

Talk about what an F-U that would be to Kraft.
I think Bill and Bob appreciate each other and neither would give the other an F-U. And whatever direction the Pats go has probably already been worked out between them.

If Bill is locked in on returning somewhere next year, then yes, Kraft has the advantage.

But if not, BB can take a year off, maybe do some TV or consulting, and look for a "Brady to Tampa Bay" situation.

As noted above, Dallas would be that type of landing spot this year, and who knows what jobs become available in 2025?

Word is Bill has been talking to Parcells. If anyone knows how to navigate a situation like this, it's him.
Tuna's MO after he left the Giants was to go to a team with a poor record and top drafts picks and make them better. He was the king of that move after he took over the 1-15 Jets, 2-14 Pats and the 5-11 Cowboys. I think BB's in a different situation because he only has a few years left and he'll be looking for a winner if he leaves.

Technically, the Chargers aren't allowed to talk to Bill as long as he's under contract with Kraft. So tampering?
I believe Kraft can give permission. He’d have to. No team is going to make a deal with Kraft before they talk to Bill.

They will get a pick. A 2nd rounder will do. The Krafts have the same advantage the Jets had in 2000 - time was on their side because an acceptable successor and staff was already in the organization.

The NFL calendar waits for no one. With the Chargers or any other team, Bill would need to be in place in time to hire a staff and prepare for the new league year. It won’t come to this, but the Pats could dismiss Bill the day before the legal tampering period begins, appoint Mayo and Wolf/Stewart interim HC and GM and be ready to roll.

I think the Krafts are dead set on getting an asset to help with the rebuild for Belichick. In addition to time being on their side, they could also underwrite a part of Bill’s salary , and by doing so, essentially buy a draft pick from Belichick’s new team.
One important difference: then the Pats were dealing for a guy who had quit the Jetes.

also, coaches are not covered by the CBA. So Bill’s contract may not be subject to trade. IIRC the Jetes got compensated for letting him go, not for trading him. Importance of that is that he needs to agree with the new team, they cannot just assume his existing contract.

Tuna's MO after he left the Giants was to go to a team with a poor record and top drafts picks and make them better. He was the king of that move after he took over the 1-15 Jets, 2-14 Pats and the 5-11 Cowboys. I think BB's in a different situation because he only has a few years left and he'll be looking for a winner if he leaves.

You missed the point.

Tuna knew when to jump, sit, and match the right situation for him.

The Pats had weak ownership so he would be in full control, the Jets were not a 1-15 team so no matter what happened Tuna would look good, and the Boyz were similar.

Just because Bill is at a different point doesn't make the approach different.

So he has "rebuilt" us from 7-9 to 10-7, to 8-9, now to 3 wins. Seems like he's "rebuilding" in reverse. I don't know why some people are having such a hard time admitting it's time to move on.
Rebuilds are not linear and almost always take more than 3 years. If you want to disagree with that, you could try to find examples. I’m not aware of any dominant franchise that needed to rebuild and was back in 3 years. If the Qb worked out this team would be a contender now, with a boatload of cap room next year.

Last edited:
Where did you get this from?

You're correct. It shouldn't have been posted.

It's one of those things you are positive you heard, but it could have been on the board, and somehow became fact in my mind.

Good catch.

I still think he has learned from Tuna that patience will bring the best opportunity for him.

You're correct. It shouldn't have been posted.

It's one of those things you are positive you heard, but it could have been on the board, and somehow became fact in my mind.

Good catch.

I still think he has learned from Tuna that patience will bring the best opportunity for him.
I’m not sure I think any of Parcells moves were due to patience or necessarily were a model to follow. He never won a Sb after leaving the Giants, only made the playoffs 5 times in 11 years, had 4 10+ win seasons in 11 and had 3 seasons with 6 or less.
Ignore his Giant years and he is pretty mediocre.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back