PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Rashard Mendenhall has torn ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's your point. He still can't throw a football, that is my point. 6 for 22 for 60 yards 1 INT 20.6 rating last week....like....:confused:....am I in the twilight zone here??? Who are you people that defend Tim Tebow???

I am one of those who understands that football is more than numbers and stats. There's a morale factor, the ability to will yourself and your teammates to the next level, to perform above expectations.

Your comments about Tebow sound eerily familiar, very much the same as those said by mediot after reportard about a young Tom Brady.

respects,

I understand the comments, and the numbers are all there to see.

However, the only stats that matter is the number of wins, and whether or not you make the playoffs. Once you get in, every team is equal again.

Since Denver made the playoffs, one could just as equally argue that the team made the right call, and that Tebow under center was what worked best for the team. You cannot deny that his enthusiasm and support for his fellow teammates also had a hand in getting them to where they are.

I'm not at all saying he's a top-tier QB. no sir. He's a rookie under center, but it's too damned early to be judging him as this or that. Let's see how Denver does in the playoffs and then what next year brings.

respects,

A fair amount of pressure for Mr.Tebow, wouldn't you say?

After many felt his move to QB was totally unjustified, he then made believers out of millions...only to lose 3 straight, look terrible, and make many people feel as though his move to QB was unjustified :eek:

I think if he wins the playoff game vs PIT, it will go a LONG way in helping to determine his career.

However, if the scenario continues to play out in respect to him losing a 4th straight game (against the vaunted Pittsburgh D) many are going to feel as though he should not be the QB for the 2012 season. Another loss may even put him on a totally different path in regards to his entire career--when you honestly think about it.

It's almost as if a win pretty much guarantees him a starting job--hands down. BUT, at the same time a loss pretty much guarantees him to going right back to where he started from, maybe even further back since now it could be argued that he was given a chance and failed, even looking downright terrible at times. Certainly an insane amount of pressure...

True enough, but as a competitor, who WOULDN'T want to be in his shoes? Just give me a fair chance, boss, and let the dice land as they will. :)

Back to the Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Riethlisberger injuries....

I don't want to make this a "sister's cousin's friend's" rumor, at all--but take it for what it's worth (which isn't much, but then again it's not intended to be) :

I recently had an appt (actually two) with a physician that works closely with the entire Steelers team. His office is absolutely riddled with glass cases, signed cleats and football, pictures, etc--you get the drift.

I had to make my two appointments on early Saturdays, as he is physically at the team facility on the South Side almost every single day, as per his routine.

Long story short, during my first initial appt which happened two days after Roethlisberger's injury vs CLE, he was MUCH more concerned with the high ankle sprain that occured to Maurkice Pouncey than he was Ben Roethlisberger. He actually said that there may be an outside chance that Pouncey would not be able to play in the next few games (which did not happen, as Pouncey barely missed any time), but that Roethlisberger had avoided a potential season ending injury, and would be just fine.

That was the 2nd week of December, and while it certainly is not something that we can base our predictions on, it is food for thought. When one of the team physicians does not feel as though it was too serious, and is worried about another player instead, it is something to ponder.

Again, apologies for the continuation of a rumor, but I thought it may be noteworthy for what it is worth. Regardless, the entire country has seen Roethlisberger recover to some degree, as he has continued playing, and even returned to practicing--which he hasn't done with other more significant injuries in the past.

Seems the Mendenhall injury does not bother the Steelers fan base at all. I wonder how the coaches felt about him.

Seems the Mendenhall injury does not bother the Steelers fan base at all. I wonder how the coaches felt about him.

I would not say that it does not bother us "at all". Mendy has some detractors because he dances a bit instead of hitting the hole hard, and he doesn't seem to live up to his raw athletic potential. But that said he's easily the most explosive and dangerous RB on our roster; there's no one else who can take it 40+ yards if they hit the second level.

Redman's a nice back that may fit what Pitt fans imagine their RBs "should" be--bruising, breaking-the-tackles runner. But he's not a gamebreaker. Plus there's the problem of having just two healthy RBs (one just off the practice squad) going into the playoffs.

That all said, I think us losing our nickel and dime backs last week may have just as much of an impact as losing Mendy. In today's NFL you need 4 quality DBs and if we do reach the Pats we'll have some real problems.

lillloyd

Interesting how the Steelers, this board's choice for the most complete team in the NFL, are now without their primary rusher, and their QB is hobbling. Does that mean there are now officially NO remotely complete teams in competition?

While some bemoan the closet Jets fans on this forum, I have a feeling there is a similar faction of Steelers fans. Or at least Patriot fans from that area who somehow have a bias towards the Steelers too.

No team is more overrated on this forum than Pittsburgh.

I am one of those who understands that football is more than numbers and stats. There's a morale factor, the ability to will yourself and your teammates to the next level, to perform above expectations.

Your comments about Tebow sound eerily familiar, very much the same as those said by mediot after reportard about a young Tom Brady.

respects,

Tom Brady was probably a better QB in HS than Tebow is as a starting NFL QB. College Tom Brady was easily a better QB than Tebow is as a starting NFL QB. And it's an insult to NFL Tom Brady that Tebow is a starting NFL QB.

I know what you're saying, it's about wins and yes, I agree, Good job Tebow and Broncos on your ultimate backing into the playoffs. I am speaking strictly from a positional, mechanical perspective on quarterbacking. The guy is not an NFL QB mechanically speaking. He is an RB. He is Vick without the speed or arm or ability to spiral the ball. Good enough for the college game, should be an H back in the pros.

I agree that there's not nearly as much dropoff as some think, and that Redman is certainly able to get the job done. I'd honestly put Mendenhall on a 3rd tier of injuries for that team, with guys like Roethlisberger, Polamalu, and Antonio Brown as top-tier guys that would really hurt them if missed. 2nd tier guys would include Woodley, Timmons, Harrison, Ike Taylor and Mike Wallace. I would consider the loss of Mendenhall as a tier 3, somewhere comparable to losing a guy like Ryan Clark to be honest. He certainly contributes, but they really shouldn't miss a beat without him.

Dwyer is on IR though this yr, but your point is the same, they are currently using another big-powered back...Clay from Wisconsin.

Good lookin on the Dwyer IR. I wasn't aware of that. John Clay sure was a beast in college. That was a great pick up for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft