PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Pete Carroll out as SEA HC

My son was in grad school at USC when Carroll was there. He was working out in the big all students gym when Carroll came by and started chatting people up. Said he was legitimately a nice guy and actually engaged with the students rather than just doing a drive by smile parade like many would.
He pulled me aside in 1998 to find out who I was, what outlet I was from, asked about my family, etc. Was a quick conversation and I think he did that with any media member he didn’t recognize. But I was still surprised that he stopped and asked to talk to me after I put my tape recorder down on the podium and turned to go grab a chair and sit down.

He really was legitimately a good guy. Glad he went on to do good things, even if it wasn’t here.

Just watched Pete's conference. He was pretty emotional but upbeat. I like Pete, pretty energetic for a 72 yo, only 4 losing seasons in 18 years w/ a .586 win%. I don't blame Seattle for moving on though. Times change.

I'm just making this up, but one could imagine a 72 year old just wanting reduced hours and responsibilities and being an NFL head coach is a full time job.
Basically he is retiring but will help transition the new staff and visit every now and then.

Just waiting for the Pats Tampering with Carrol story from Florio. Should be out soon.
Any team that talks to him (without permission) would be tampering since he is still a member of the organization.

So you'd take Bill as a front office guy?
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC
You wouldn’t want him running the PR department?

What could possibly go wrong??? :excited:

Adam S on ESPN speculated he could interview for Chargers HC job

Makes sense. Seems like he still wants to coach

Gotta be weird for the next guy to have Carroll hanging around as an "advisor" while the new guy is already trying to fill some big shoes.

Pretty much how it probably went down. People thinking Belichick can easily start over somewhere else don't think through what that actually means logistically.

Nearly impossible to do it in your 70s. The amount of time, energy and effort it takes to build up a team is not something a 70 year old can be expected to do effectively.
I think you're right, perhaps that's why Bill may be willing to concede some responsibility to stay on. I think it's time for a change but we'll see.

Pete is a great coach but he hasnt been to a SB since 2014 and he had russell wilson until 2 yrs ago. He is basically mike tomlin . Great coach and good PR.

Gotta be weird for the next guy to have Carroll hanging around as an "advisor" while the new guy is already trying to fill some big shoes.
Maybe it’s Dan Quinn who was the DC there under Pete. Maybe that wouldn’t be awkward.

New reports have Carroll as being quoted that he had nothing to do with his new role and that he’s still energized and wants to coach. This offseason has been wild already and the real offseason hasn’t even started yet. Curious to see if anyone requests to interview Carroll for a coaching gig somewhere else. He could go to a franchise and help create a culture pretty quickly. The Seahawks must have their heart set on somebody. Curious who that somebody is. Carroll had done (imo) a pretty successful job of righting the ship post Wilson. They sure as hell didn’t crumble like everyone thought would happen.

Quite weird. He's had one losing season in 10 years and two consecutive winning seasons since moving on from Wilson. It was clearly mutual and no bad blood as he's moving upstairs to the front office.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back