PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Pete Carroll talks about SB XLIX Butler interception with Richard Sherman

It was a fine play-call. Browner and Butler made incredible plays.

Things that went right for the Patriots/wrong for the Seahawks on that play.

1. Browner was a former Seahawks and identfiied that play
2. Butler who had practiced the precise way to handle that play was on the field when he likely gets no playing time if Arrington wasn't geting surprisingly bullied by Matthews
3. Bill milked the clock and got Seattle off balance and kind of forced them into a situation where the pass made the most sesne.
4. Browner played it perfect and jammed the pick
5. Butler ran like he got shot out of a freaking canon to get in position
6. Lockett played the route too soft and gave up his positioning
7. Wilson misplaced the ball to enough of a degree that Butler had a shot at it.

Any one of those doesn't happen and it's either a touchdown or an incompletion, both of which are a huge win for Seattle.

Things that went right for the Patriots/wrong for the Seahawks on that play.

1. Browner was a former Seahawks and identfiied that play
2. Butler who had practiced the precise way to handle that play was on the field when he likely gets no playing time if Arrington wasn't geting surprisingly bullied by Matthews
3. Bill milked the clock and got Seattle off balance and kind of forced them into a situation where the pass made the most sesne.
4. Browner played it perfect and jammed the pick
5. Butler ran like he got shot out of a freaking canon to get in position
6. Lockett played the route too soft and gave up his positioning
7. Wilson misplaced the ball to enough of a degree that Butler had a shot at it.

Any one of those doesn't happen and it's either a touchdown or an incompletion, both of which are a huge win for Seattle.
8. Butler hangs on to the ball.

Additional tidbits:

The only Patriots player left on that roster from that game is Matthew Slater.

The only Patriots players on that team left in the NFL are: Matthew Slater, Marcus Cannon (maybe?), Cameron Fleming (Denver?), Logan Ryan (Tampa?), and Chandler Jones (Vegas).

Amazing how much a roster turns over in 9 years....now Revis is a Hall of Famer, Browner served some time and may still be in jail?, Butler is no longer in the NFL after his last hurrah with the Pats last year in camp, Mayo is a coach (he was on I/R that year, IIRC), Hightower hasn't played in two years....Brady finally is done...etc...etc...

Oh....that Hightower tackle on first down was one of the greatest plays I have ever seen...I think he blew out his shoulder on that play...not sure.
Hey, you left Hooman out! J/K, but the 'NFL Films' clip posted earlier clip posted earlier showed him on the field at the end of the game, and it was a fun memory for me.

That clip also showed how much turnover there has been on the coaching staff. MP, JMcD, Flo, Earnie Adams, many others all gone.

At least one ex-NE coach has kept his job throughout, that would be ex-NE head coach Pete Carrol.

Right around 7 minutes

Glad this game took place after high-definition video on cell phones became the standard.

Our early SB wins are largely captured in old-school analog and there isn't as much video as a NE fan would want.

I agree about the receivers getting separation. That is why I think passing down there at the1 yard line was a horrific call all around if the point is to actually score. Just hand it to Lynch on second and then burn your last time out if he doesn't score and then figure out third and fourth down.
And that's why Pete is still having to try to justify the call nine years later.

The SEA fan reaction video shows that right from the second the play was called the natural reaction is to wonder WTF they called a pass play.

Especially that particular pass play, where so many hands could potentially tip the ball.

8. Butler hangs on to the ball.

Yeah, that's just as remarkable as any other part of the sequence.

The ball actually hits him in his forearm, he manages to use his inside hand to hold the ball in place as his outside arm comes down to secure the ball, all this finesse as he's shedding the hit with Lockette.

1693842330476.png

Then he presses the ball into his body, and almost loses it as he shifts his hands to secure the ball.

1693842703718.png

Probably the most amazing play of the decade, notably done on defense not offense.

Not really, Harmon treated that ball like kryptonite. Plenty of room just to smack it away. Terrible play by him.

i got scolded for making a post about that.. i thought it was real bad, he made zero attempt on the ball he was more worried about tripping over the Seahawk guy

glad someone else saw it and agrees

And that's why Pete is still having to try to justify the call nine years later.

The SEA fan reaction video shows that right from the second the play was called the natural reaction is to wonder WTF they called a pass play.

Especially that particular pass play, where so many hands could potentially tip the ball.
It was 2nd down. There were 35 seconds left. They had one timeout remaining. They had to throw on one of those downs.

It was 2nd down. There were 35 seconds left. They had one timeout remaining. They had to throw on one of those downs.
No they didn't. When Kearse made that ridiculous catch the clock was stopped with 1:06 remaining. The Seahawks actually had TWO timeouts but most don't remember that Pete burned his second time out right after that 5 minute replay to ensure Kearse actually caught the ball. How Pete did not have his team ready in that spot is beyond words. They should have had 1:06 with two timeouts but any who, they had the one time out and the clock stopped with 1:06. When they run Lynch on first down, he is downed with 1:00 to play. If Pete had used his timeout there then it is second down with a minute left. He could have easily run 3 times with a minute on the clock if the Seahawks hurried to the line. Instead he let the clock bleed down as I am assuming like the rest of us he thought Bill was going to burn his last time out. When Bill didn't burn the time out, Pete ran on his 11 personnel and we countered by running Butler on. The rest is history ...

One other thing that is important to note here. Pete is trying to spin this like he was trying to get all 4 downs in from the 5. The real truth is he was trying to milk the clock so Brady did not have any time left to tie with a FG. That is why he let the clock run down. It was not about trying to get all 4 plays in as they were attempting to score on both first and second down. I am sure Pete, like the rest of us, was thrilled when Bill did not use his TO as he figured Bill just did him a favor when Bill actually clowned him. The epic clowning of all time.

No they didn't. When Kearse made that ridiculous catch the clock was stopped with 1:06 remaining. The Seahawks actually had TWO timeouts but most don't remember that Pete burned his second time out right after that 5 minute replay to ensure Kearse actually caught the ball. How Pete did not have his team ready in that spot is beyond words. They should have had 1:06 with two timeouts but any who, they had the one time out and the clock stopped with 1:06. When they run Lynch on first down, he is downed with 1:00 to play. If Pete had used his timeout there then it is second down with a minute left. He could have easily run 3 times with a minute on the clock if the Seahawks hurried to the line. Instead he let the clock bleed down as I am assuming like the rest of us he thought Bill was going to burn his last time out. When Bill didn't burn the time out, Pete ran on his 11 personnel and we countered by running Butler on. The rest is history ...
When the ball was snapped there was 35 seconds.You can fault Pete for not managing his team and the clock better after the lapdance catch, but that is a separate issue.

Although it turned out well for us, I take no pleasure in what happened to them as a result.
I don't take pleasure in what happened to them, but when they complain about that loss ask them how'd they like to be within a minute or so of 19 and 0 and have someone catch a pass with his helmet. And there are plenty of people who took pleasure in that.

When the ball was snapped there was 35 seconds.You can fault Pete for not managing his team and the clock better after the lapdance catch, but that is a separate issue.
What down are you talking about? There was never 35 seconds left for any of the plays.

Kearse makes the miracle catch at 1:06. Time out is called on the field for the replay and then Pete calls his second time out as he did not have his team ready to go after the 5 minute delay for the replay.

On first down, Lynch is tackled at the one with 1:00 left.

Pete let's the clock bleed all the way down to 25 seconds before Seattle snaps the ball and Wilson throws the pick. Butler is tackled with 20 seconds left to play.

Pete expected Bill to call a TO after the Lynch run, and didn't realize the clock was still running for quite a few seconds there. Because he had already pissed away his other 2 TO's, he couldn't take another one there. Meanwhile all the substitutions were going on, and the Seahawks ended up sort of rushing things. BB knew that Seattle wasn't a disciplined team and that there was some chaos on their sideline.

It was a brilliant piece of coaching by Belichick, both the jumbo D package forcing a pass call, and not calling the TO. Not to mention the pregame scouting that told them how much the Seahawks liked that particular play and to practice against it.

What down are you talking about? There was never 35 seconds left for any of the plays.

Kearse makes the miracle catch at 1:06. Time out is called on the field for the replay and then Pete calls his second time out as he did not have his team ready to go after the 5 minute delay for the replay.

On first down, Lynch is tackled at the one with 1:00 left.

Pete let's the clock bleed all the way down to 25 seconds before Seattle snaps the ball and Wilson throws the pick. Butler is tackled with 20 seconds left to play.
Yeah, 25 not 35. My bad. That made it even trickier

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back