PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Pete Carroll talks about SB XLIX Butler interception with Richard Sherman

I don't disagree with any of this. The issue is the Pats knew the play was coming precisely because they had practiced it, they had the right personnel on the field to defend it AND Browner recognized it and tipped off Butler. That is WHY is it such a horrific call. It was a bang/bang play which didn't allow for Wilson to read the defense at all. The ball is snapped and he is throwing to a spot where Lockette is supposed to be and yet Butler is standing right there. Why on earth throw such a risky slant at that spot in the game when Lynch just pounded the ball from the 5 to the 1 and would have scored it not for Hightower's ridiculous tackle? Why not throw the fade where there is a huge mismatch between Seattle's tall receivers and our short DBs? Why not do a rollout to Lynch or a TE to the goal post which has nearly a zero percent chance of getting picked or tipped?
you cant criticize the Seahwaks call based on what we found out the Patriots knew after the fact.

635584256299850668-inidc5-6j1pefbxdeu1hvhcoim-original.jpg

Who can forget Harmon's magical ability to avoid all contact with the ball and still stick the landing?

Richard Sherman interview with Pete Carroll. I love the fact that it still stings for them! Fun read!!!

Pete Carroll talks 'catastrophic' Super Bowl interception with Richard Sherman: 'It turned all of that so dark'

Mr Pumped N Jacked was ****ing lucky the game was that ****ing close to begin with... Add 3 points for us if it weren't for Brady's stupid ****ing INT inside their 10; and subtract 4 points from them because Kyle Arrington.

So in conclusion: **** you Petey.

The balliest was starting Brady over Bledsoe when Bledsoe became healthy in 2001 and then going with Brady in 2002 and trading Bledsoe to the Bills. But the Seattle goal line where he didn't call the time out is definitely second. He trusted his guys and he got rewarded for it.
Bill's tenure here started with Bledsoe leading the team to a 5-13 record, including 0-2 to start 2001. I would have been upset if Bill put Bledsoe back in there with the way things were going. All but the hardcore Bledsoe fans thought that Tom was better, and that included Bill.

One of Bill's greatest strengths, as has been mentioned here, is his calm demeanor at crucial times. The Butler Did It was a great example of it paying off.

Something I haven't really thought about was what would have happened if Butler only broke up the pass and Seattle had another shot. I'm sure glad it didn't go down that way. It would have been a crushing defeat if they lost that way. I think I might have gone looking for Duron Harmon to ask him wtf he was thinking when he jumped over Kearse instead of knocking the ball away. Thank God Butler tackled Kearse.

Not really, Harmon treated that ball like kryptonite. Plenty of room just to smack it away. Terrible play by him.
GMTA.

you cant criticize the Seahwaks call based on what we found out the Patriots knew after the fact.
Sure you can. That is the game of chess between the coaches. Bill had his team better prepared than Pete in that moment.

Wasn't Lynch 1 for 5 from the 1 that season?

He wasn't great. We all know that. I wasn't arguing that they should have handed it to him. I was just questioning the claim that there was "NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH" that he would have scored.

I have heard Pete say this before about getting in all 4 plays. But I just don't get it. After Kearse makes the ridiculous catch there is 1:06 left on the clock and they are at the 5 yard line with one timeout. Lynch has been having an MVP game and on first down he gets to the 1 yard line with 1:00 left when the whistle blows. If Pete was really thinking, we need to get all 4 plays down at that point when they are at the 1 yard line with a minute left AND a timeout with Lynch almost scoring on the fist play, then that is completely absurd and terrible explanation for throwing on second down. You don't throw because you want to ensure you get all 4 plays. the objective is to SCORE and you are at the one with the best back in the league who has been a wrecking ball all game.
Lynch had already been stuffed on a 3rd and 1 in the game. He was 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line during the 2014 season.

The truth about Marshawn Lynch from the 1-yard line

Second, he is full of crap about Bill being late with the goal line personnel. The fact is, we already had our goal line personnel on the field and Pete like everyone else in the world thought Bill was going to use his last timeout. When he didn't, Pete runs off his 12 personnel group and brings on the 11 and then Bill runs on our 11 personnel (remember, Flores yelling "Malcolm go!"). Bill changed personnel when Pete changed from his 12 to his 11. Pete to this day refuses to acknowledge why he did not trust Lynch to just pound it in on second down. If Lynch got stopped on second down, he could have used his timeout then and threw on third and either run/throw on 4th. This notion he is peddling that he had to throw on second down to get all 4 downs is preposterous and IMO disingenuous. No wonder Sherman and the defense tuned him out for years ...
The goal line formation the Pats used had never been used by them until that moment. If you have two other downs that is not the formation to run against.
They could have run on second down and then used the time out and then passed on third and then run or pass on fourth. There was absolutely nothing forcing Pete to throw on second down from the 1. And nothing forcing him to throw a slant over the middle with Browner telegraphing the play to Butler before the snap
Nothing forcing him other than basic football strategy: don't run against a heavy box.

As others have pointed out, this was the first pass from the 1 yard line that was intercepted the entire season.

Lynch had already been stuffed on a 3rd and 1 in the game. He was 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line during the 2014 season.
I have never argued that they should have handed the ball to Lynch. My issue was the actual play call itself - a slant over the middle which was recognized pre-snap and has a much higher percentage of being intercepted than either a fade or an out route to the post.
The goal line formation the Pats used had never been used by them until that moment. If you have two other downs that is not the formation to run against.
This is the part I have the biggest issue with from Pete's answer to Sherman on why they decided to pass. The Pats came out in 12 personnel on second down to stop the run. When Bill did not burn his timeout, Pete ran off his 12 personnel and ran on his 11 personnel. Bill then ran on Butler so we had the perfect defense called (3 CBs) to stop that pass play. Just because we had not been in that defense before does not mean we didn't practice it. We had practiced it a ton (see Do Your Job) because Ernie knew it was a play Seattle liked to run from the 1. This is what makes it such a horrific play call. We had planned for that exact play with Butler in coverage.
Nothing forcing him other than basic football strategy: don't run against a heavy box.
Sure. I have zero issue with a pass there. My issue is with the actual play. Why not line Russ up under center and fake hand off to Lynch and release the TE for an easy score? If they had done that, I guarantee Bill keeps our 12 personnel in thinking it is a run only to be duped by the play action pass.
As others have pointed out, this was the first pass from the 1 yard line that was intercepted the entire season.
Again, you are missing the point. The goal of that play was to score. I think we all agree there. Obviously the worst outcome is a pick. The reason why it was picked is precisely because the Patriots coaching had its defense prepared for it and because the play call itself lends itself to a higher percentage of a pick or tip. I believe Butler made a heck of a play but the outcome does not absolve Pete from the worst play call in SB history.

Sure you can. That is the game of chess between the coaches. Bill had his team better prepared than Pete in that moment.
We are coming at this from two different points of view.

Still is a fun discussion after all these years.

This is the part I have the biggest issue with from Pete's answer to Sherman on why they decided to pass. The Pats came out in 12 personnel on second down to stop the run. When Bill did not burn his timeout, Pete ran off his 12 personnel and ran on his 11 personnel. Bill then ran on Butler so we had the perfect defense called (3 CBs) to stop that pass play. Just because we had not been in that defense before does not mean we didn't practice it. We had practiced it a ton (see Do Your Job) because Ernie knew it was a play Seattle liked to run from the 1. This is what makes it such a horrific play call. We had planned for that exact play with Butler in coverage.
We had practiced it, but Pete obviously had not prepared or practiced against a formation that we had never used. You're faulting Pete for not knowing how the Pats practiced for the SB?

When's Butler's book coming out?

We had practiced it, but Pete obviously had not prepared or practiced against a formation that we had never used. You're faulting Pete for not knowing how the Pats practiced for the SB?
Yes. I mean that was Belichick’s reputation, wasn’t it? That his team was prepared for everything. You also have to remember that Browner knew the pick play was coming because he used to play for Seattle, which made it an even more head scratching call at that moment. You can even hear Endelman surprised that they decided to pass from the one. I have never really had an issue with passing there, but just to play call itself. Why he didn’t do a fade or a roll out to the pylon or a play action pass, and then release the TE into the end zone, I have no idea. But it was a horrific call IMO.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back