PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT? MAYBE? Which Red Sox would be "Patriot type players"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm starting this thread. I don't even like baseball that much anymore. I can't watch more than a 1/2 inning at a time.

But, I was wondering the other night looking at the Red Sox current players, which of those guys would be "patriot type players'?

Ortiz? Veractik (sp)? Who else? I do know wouldn't be so don't try to BS me.:rofl:

I hope that I haven't created a monster by starting this thread.

PATSNUTme said:
I don't know why I'm starting this thread. I don't even like baseball that much anymore. I can't watch more than a 1/2 inning at a time.

But, I was wondering the other night looking at the Red Sox current players, which of those guys would be "patriot type players'?

Ortiz? Veractik (sp)? Who else? I do know wouldn't be so don't try to BS me.:rofl:

Pitchers are all a bunch of ****ies, so I won't even talk about them much, but Papelbon would certainly qualify.

Definitely Varitek, Ortiz & Nixon.

Probably Youkilis & Lowell, too.

I love Manny, but he's definitely NOT!

The jury is out on Coco Crisp and Wily Mo Pena, but the way Coco is milking this "finger" injury, he's probably a NO. And the way Wily Mo chases down balls full speed in center, he's probably a YES!

Gabe Kapler is a BIG YES, as is Doug Mirabelli!

Some recent past players:

Bill Mueller - YES
Johnny Damon - YES
Edgar Renteria - NO

Armen Da Sox Fan

Varitek, Mirabelli, Youkilis, and Wakefield would probably top the list.

PATSNUTme said:

This is silly. While you're at it, why not compare a rabbit to a pineapple?

Last edited:
Woosies

I'm truly sorry, this post has forced me to come out of lurkerville and finally say something...

"Oh darn I got a paper cut, I can't play tonight coach"

Could be attributed to any baseball player - not a single one is a Patriots type player.

Tunescribe said:
babymiddlefinger.jpg

I just asked a question because I don't think that more than 5 out of 25 would qualify.

Would Larry Bird or Kevin McHale or Robert Parrish been patriot type players?

Last edited:
Schilling's a stat nut. I'm told he's got a big stack of binders that show exactly what every American League hitter's tendencies are. So he'd probably fit in in terms of preparation; but Baseball is so different.

btw Tek is great at what he does, but he's the last guy I'd want on the Pats. The pitchers love him 'cause he's good a calming them down when they're pitching bad.

Imagine Brewski going "Just relax man, its ok. You'll get him on the next play." to some rookie who missed an assignment or was out of position before the snap.

scubadude said:
I'm truly sorry, this post has forced me to come out of lurkerville and finally say something...

Could be attributed to any baseball player - not a single one is a Patriots type player.

Wait a minute! Now I remember. Manny Ramirez bears a striking resemblance to that night security watchman I saw asleep in his truck outside Gillette after the Colts game last year. There was a Twinkie wrapper on the dashboard and he had drool in the corner of his mouth.

so which pats players can be called "bruins type players"??? Hmm a rabbit or a pineapple huh? Hard choice.

Tunescribe said:
Well, for starters, you can eat both of them, they're about the same size and both of them have a fluffy appendage on one end. :D

scubadude said:

Hideki Matsui of the Yankees has yet to miss a game since he joined MLB. Going back to his time in Japan he's got a very respectable streak going. Johnny Damon, even though he $ucks, is tough to get out of the lineup, not to mention Cal Ripken. Btw with pitchers, its not a matter of does your arm hurt? Its a matter of how much it hurts.

Yeah, I had some second thoughts after my first reply, Schilling with the ankle thing could qualify for the suck it up and get out there Patriots type of player. I just don't have a fondness for baseball and the original post hit me the wrong way...

one past red sox that def is: mike myers

remember one of belichick's favorite quote: its about the situations

scubadude said:
Yeah, I had some second thoughts after my first reply, Schilling with the ankle thing could qualify for the suck it up and get out there Patriots type of player. I just don't have a fondness for baseball and the original post hit me the wrong way...

Read the original post again, S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
The jury is out on Coco Crisp and Wily Mo Pena, but the way Coco is milking this "finger" injury, he's probably a NO.
Like it's really up to Coco how his bones heal.

Worse

scubadude said:

Naw.... I swear that I actually saw a guy placed on 15 day disabled list for a ....hangnail! Baseball wusses.... Phooey!!!

PATSNUTme said:
babymiddlefinger.jpg

I just asked a question because I don't think that more than 5 out of 25 would qualify.

Would Larry Bird or Kevin McHale or Robert Parrish been patriot type players?

Thank you! I love ya, Nut!! I think Schilling, Tek, Wakefield, Trot, Youkilis, Ortiz. I thinkthe things you have to look for are team players, people who are willing to go to the bullpen as Shill and Wake have done, players that are asked to learn a new position, Youk or players who can play multiple positions. Also amount of preparation would be a consideration, Tek and Schill and even Manny are masters of preparation!

I think McHale would be a BB guy, he played the '87 playoffs on a broken foot, Parrish was on drugs, so he is a no, Larry was a good teammate and always knew where to be, he would have been sort of a BB guy, but he also wanted things HIS way. The problem with the Celtics is that they did not let go of or trade those players before it was to late. Danny Ainge, of course was the exception. BB would have NEVER kept Larry and Co. as long as Celtics management did!

Ortiz...Mr Clutch..comes up big when needed..doesn't complain...I agree it is hard to compare..Heard DeOssie talk about baseball spring training and how after a few minutes of running and exercising there were complaints..How many would last a few days at Training Camp???
As for the Celts...Russell..of course!! Havlicek..Cowens...and I think the big 3 as well.
Parrish?? Absolutely!! The Old Celts..from the ;late 50s 60s..WERE very similar.

Last edited:
I think of Wakefield and Troy Brown as cut from the same cloth. Both have been with the team for ten or more years, through thick and thin, doing whatever is asked of them. For Troy Brown, it was being a #1 receiver, a thrid down guy, a punt returner and a DB.. For Wakefield it was being yoyoed between starter, releiver, middle reliever, and closer. You didn't ever hear a word of controversy about either one of them... Consummate professionals, both....

Tek and Nixon for sure. Lowell and Youk too. Maybe Lorreta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back