PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT? MAYBE? Which Red Sox would be "Patriot type players"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking, Tek, Nixon, Wake, and Josh Beckett (who reminds me of TB in the intensity department)

Ty Poole is just as much a baby as a David Wells, or other people said to be milking an injury...

Varitek could play Center calling protections - just not sure he could handle snapping in the shotgun (guess that'd be Mirabelli's job).

Nixon could be the TJ like LB - primarily a run stuffer who will likely become injury prone and have his career cut short due to willingness to run into walls.

Youkilis could be what Klecko was supposed to be, a versatile football player.

Ortiz can't play the field (well or due to injury risk) but he can hit the ball a ton and put up points, and he's clutch - an expensive PK.

Manny is one of those talents BB admires who unfortunately cannot play in this system. But his talent could land him in Oakland or Dallas.

Wakefield reminds me of Ken Walter, when he was good he was serviceable, but when he went bad he was useless. P

Schilling can't keep his mouth shut. Also something of an egocentric drama queen and his influence on the FO and relationahip with the media can be problematic and distracting. Definitely a QB just not here - GB or Indy come to mind. Although GB might be a better fit for Roger. I can see Schill waving off the punting unit in Indy though.

Foulke is looking like Drew. Although Pappelbon could be his Brady.

Coco could replace Poole I guess.

It's unlikely any of them would make it past training camp, and if they did they'd hold out. :D

Well, I think we've finally reached the bottom of the thread-topic barrel. Can't wait for training camp.

Pats726 said:
Ortiz...Mr Clutch..comes up big when needed..doesn't complain...
I love him, but Ortiz complains to the umpires all the time when he doesn't like a call.

I think 'Tek would make a hell of a LB, calling the defensive plays. In baseball he's a big guy, in football he's mid-sized.

Trot as a SS or maybe as a QB. Too light to play TE.

But they're great baseball players who would absolutely suck at football. By now, they both would have been forced into retirement, if they had gone into the NFL.

This time of year sucks for football fans. Bring on training camp!

PATSNUTme said:
babymiddlefinger.jpg

I just asked a question because I don't think that more than 5 out of 25 would qualify.

Would Larry Bird or Kevin McHale or Robert Parrish been patriot type players?

Here's an even better question for you: Why didn't you post this in the baseball forum, where you know it belongs? Otherwise, to suggest that only five members of the 25-player Boston baseball roster legitimately earn a paycheck presents a poor basis for comparison to begin with, don't you think? You'd've been better served attempting this with Bruins players, at least it's a contact sport. (By the way, thanks for posting the link to your photo. That's what I thought you looked like.)

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
Here's an even better question for you: Why didn't you post this in the baseball forum, where you know it belongs? Otherwise, to suggest that only five members of the 25-player Boston baseball roster legitimately earn a paycheck presents a poor basis for comparison to begin with, don't you think? You'd've been better served attempting this with Bruins players, at least it's a contact sport. (By the way, thanks for posting the link to your photo. That's what I thought you looked like.)

Your welcome about the photo, I have others.

Of coarse you could just ignore the thread if it gets your panties in such a bunch.

Maybe you could read the opening post S-L-O-W-L-Y. If you did you would see that it applies to the Patriots. And the question was, in effect, how many of those overpaid, overrated, whiney baseball players could be considered to have the stuff that would rate them a "Patriot type player".

I said maybe 5 out of 25. It might be 2 or 0.

Feel free to start a thread about Bruins palyers if that is what you want. Another sport I could give a fart about. Or, even the NE Rev's, if you feel fit.

I say 'no' on Varitek. Belichick likes players who can 'hit'.

Definitely 'yes' on Ortiz, Youkilis, Nixon, and Mirabelli.

Certainly not Manny.

Jacky Roberts said:
I say 'no' on Varitek. Belichick likes players who can 'hit'.

Definitely 'yes' on Ortiz, Youkilis, Nixon, and Mirabelli.

Certainly not Manny.

HAHAHA!!! Good one Jacky...... I left Mirabelli off my original list and I agree he should be added.

Willie Mo is da man.....Physical freak alla Watson, Multidimensional alla Vrabel, coachable, reserved...and they call him WILLIE MO !

No Comparison

Football Is A Sport Played By Disciplined Tough Guys Who For The Most Part Do What Their Told. Baseball Is A Game Played By Undisciplined Crybabies Who Do What They Wish. No Way They Can Play For Any Football Team Never Mind The Patriots. Can You Imagine Bb "asking" A Player To Do Something And Having The Player Refuse To Do It? Baseball Is For Geeks.

let's not forget about Rodger Clemens and his eyeblack. He won't be a Red Sock again til like mid June; but I figure this thread will be long gone by then.

sdaniels7114 said:
let's not forget about Rodger Clemens and his eyeblack. He won't be a Red Sock again til like mid June; but I figure this thread will be long gone by then.

He is big enough to be a football player, but he is a crybaby malcontent! When he pitched for Houston last year he had it built into his contract that he did not have to travel with the team if he was not scheduled to pitch. BB would NEVER go for different rules for prima donna players. That was the situation Bill walked into when he took the HC job here in 2000!

So which Golden State Warriors do you think would make good Ottawa Senators?

sdaniels7114 said:
Hideki Matsui of the Yankees has yet to miss a game since he joined MLB. Going back to his time in Japan he's got a very respectable streak going. Johnny Damon, even though he $ucks, is tough to get out of the lineup, not to mention Cal Ripken. Btw with pitchers, its not a matter of does your arm hurt? Its a matter of how much it hurts.
Talk about the kiss of death!

dr said:
Talk about the kiss of death!
Beat me to it. Can you say jinx? Be careful how you use that power sd7114!

Ortiz is like Brady - Mr. Clutch.
Varitek is like Bruschi. More valuable than the numbers suggest and great leadership.
Schilling is like Dillon. Recently hired gun that did his job but got injured.
Nixon is like Troy Brown. Been here forever and has taken a beating.
Garciaparra is like Bledsoe. Everyone across the nation thinks they're both great but once we got rid of them, championships ensued.

There would be no Patriots equivalent of Manny.

Caspir said:
So which Golden State Warriors do you think would make good Ottawa Senators?
Andris Biedrins and Zarko Cabarkapa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back