PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Love the promotion with the Springsteen album

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you're judging Bruce on his football foray alone? Not on his career?

This is all I needed to hear from you: when he went political in 2004, no one here was surprised. Just disappointed.

Uh, hello. he's been political his whole career. From start to finish. Why did you bring your stepson there? Didn't YOU realize that Bruce has always thoughT the rich stick it to the poor, that the union man gets no respect, that Vietnam was a sham, that military commanders use their grunts without regard, that the justice system leaves much to be desired, that premarital sex ain't such a bad thing, that police shouldn't blow 28 holes into unarmed men, etc.. His music is shot through with these themes from beginning to end. I mean, why are you surprised?

I'm not trying to get in the midde of anyone's argument, but...you are correct only to a point. Springsteen has been very political since the Born in the USA (the most mis-understood album of all time...college kids all over pumping their fists to a song extremely critical of the country), but his first four albums are totally apolitical. If he had his current politics back then, he hid it very well. He was a good time rock n roller....at the risk of dating myself, I was going to his shows in the mid-seventies, and there was nothing remotely political about his music then.

I'm not trying to get in the midde of anyone's argument, but...you are correct only to a point. Springsteen has been very political since the Born in the USA (the most mis-understood album of all time...college kids all over pumping their fists to a song extremely critical of the country), but his first four albums are totally apolitical. If he had his current politics back then, he hid it very well. He was a good time rock n roller....at the risk of dating myself, I was going to his shows in the mid-seventies, and there was nothing remotely political about his music then.

I saw three of his concerts in the 70s. He used to talk politics in between songs all the time. Off the top of my head I can think of several songs that redo the rich man taking from the poor man theme. I can think of songs about sons going away to war. Independence Day is one. The Nebraska album was all about the justice system and a lot of religion too. And there were 6 albums before Born in the USA, not 4. Songs like Night, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Mansion on the Hill, Factory, etc.

One interesting note: this concert tour was also preceded by a series of rehearsals. Except this time, instead of Fort Monmouth - he used the new Asbury Park Convention Center. Of course to see those rehearsals - you had to pay for admission.

What a guy.

R

Um, I lived at Naval Weapons Station Earle (in Colts Neck, although you should know that, being a big military guy and all) when The Rising came out, and he practiced at the old convention center, same as he did for this album. And having friends that were stationed at Ft. Monmouth during that time, I can't recall a single one saying anything about this. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I saw three of his concerts in the 70s. He used to talk politics in between songs all the time. Off the top of my head I can think of several songs that redo the rich man taking from the poor man theme. I can think of songs about sons going away to war. Independence Day is one. The Nebraska album was all about the justice system and a lot of religion too. And there were 6 albums before Born in the USA, not 4. Songs like Night, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Mansion on the Hill, Factory, etc.

I never said there were only four albums before Born in the USA. What I said was, his first four albums are all apolitical. Greetings from Asbury Park, The Wild, etc, Born to Run and Darkness. I agree Nebraska has some political overtones, not as much as his later stuff, but I think he really started that stuff wtih the Born in the USA album. I was a huge fan in the seventies, went to many shows all over the Northeast, and I never once heard him pontificate from the stage. Maybe he did on occasion, I'm not calling you a liar, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a song by him, or an article about him, from back then that is overtly political, whereas nowadays, that is totally changed, everything he writes, or is written about him is poltical in some fashion. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News