PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Jets will be looking for another QB when their season ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Looks like Fitzpatrick is going to be the hot QB on the market in free agency so the Jets can either overpay big time or go back to Geno. Among his suitors should Be:

San Francisco

The Rams

Cleveland

Houston

Denver

Others?

When Fitzmagic is the hot QB on the market you can assure the NFL is going like this

fall-down-stairs.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17192-1368614298-1.gif

Last edited:
I've seen some potential monetary figures that have shocked me, but I guess that might happen since he is playing quite well. Personally, I think he should tell the Jets that he'll re-sign with them as long as they make him their highest paid player, and not a dollar less.

They'll overpay and re-up Fitzgerald.

Fine by me. Fitz is the type of QB that can get you to the playoffs, but you're never gonna win a SB with him.

The thing is what young QB now is not like this? Most don't even have the skill to be game managers so he is better than most.

Imagine if the Jets have to pay Fitzpatrick more to stay than Brady is getting next year ($9 million base salary and $6 million prorated signing bonus).

Even the Jets aren't that dumb... it would be stupid to let him go
He's a free agent at the end of the year ( ref: Ryan Fitzpatrick ) -- he's on the 2 yr contract Texas signed him to last year and was traded from TEX to NYJ.

So the Jets either need to talk him into signing cheaper now, or let him hit the free agent market to see what he's worth then match/exceed that, or give him franchise bucks (which they probably can't afford to do).

Translation: please come to New York, Peyton Manning. We love washed up QBs who want to end their career with a whimper.

And ones who have a little bit of kinkiness in their past!

Get Payton away from the bible belt and he'll be e-mailing pictures of his junk before you know it!

Stellar list right hear :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ... bad year to need a QB.

2016 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Fitz listed 5 monetarily behind Bradford - Daniel - Stanton & Henne

Jets go through QB's like Irsay goes through straws.

He's a free agent at the end of the year ( ref: Ryan Fitzpatrick ) -- he's on the 2 yr contract Texas signed him to last year and was traded from TEX to NYJ.

So the Jets either need to talk him into signing cheaper now, or let him hit the free agent market to see what he's worth then match/exceed that, or give him franchise bucks (which they probably can't afford to do).

I think they could try...but Fitzpatrick is 33, will be 34 next season. As they line up next season, his top 2 receivers will be 32 and nearly 30. Ferguson will be 33, Mangold 32.

Top 2 corners will be 32 and 31.

The Jets, believe it or not, are an aging, veteran team, built to "win now". Should Fitzpatrick get a big offer from the Jets, they're not going to be able to supplement their roster much (Big deals in place already to Revis, Cromartie, Decker, Marshall) will have the Jets tight to the cap.

Will that be enough to win, if he takes a paycut?

Or should he just take stupid starter money from the Browns and go 4-12 there?

Fitzpatrick might not get another contract. Thinking he'll cheap out because the Jets, a team he's been on for one season and didn't even make him the starter right away, ask him to? Might be a little much.

If you're the Jets, of course, you try that, but the plan would be, you've got Geno Smith for another year, and draft another QB high next year.

I hope the Jets sign him to a big contract. He is the very definition of an average QB. The Phins are wasting a ton of cap space on the very mediocre Ryan Tannehill. Let's have another division opponent waste a ton of cap space on another mediocre QB.

Slightly off topic, but when you look up some of the QBs that recently got big contracts, the teams will have to make a decision, have salary cap issues, will have to try to restructure contracts or be forced to release the QB or other high priced players. Here's just a summary of players that will have a cap hit over $10M next year.
Dolphins: Suh ('16: $28.6M...), Tannehill ('16: $11.6M, '17: $20.3M....)
Ravens: Flacco ('16: $28.5M, '17: $31.1M, '18: $24.7M)
Bills: ('16): Williams: $19.9M, Dareus: $14.5M, Clay: $13.5M
Steelers ('16): Roethlisberger: $24M, Timmons: $15M, Brown: $12.4M, Pouncey: $10.5M, Heyward: $10M
Cowboys ('16): Romo: $20.8M, Tyron Smith: $14M, Carr: $13.8M, Bryant: $13M
Panthers ('16): Newton: $19.5M, Charles Johnson: $15M, Kalil: $10.3M
Seahawks ('16): Wilson: $18.5M, Sherman: $14.7M, Lynch: $11.5M
Cardinals ('16): Palmer: $19M, Fitzgerald: ($15.8M), Campbell: $15.2M, Peterson: $13M
Jets ('16): Revis: $17M, Ferguson: $14.1M
Patriots ('16): Brady: $15M, Mayo: $11.4M, Solder: $10.7M

Two things that popped up when looking at the Patriots.
1. They'll likely cut Mayo, or ask/make him to restructure.
2. Gronkowski & Brady's contracts are extremely team friendly compared to how much other players are their positions are being paid on other teams. Gronkowski's cap number for '16 is 10th behind: Clay, Jordan Cameron, Graham, Witten, Jared Cook, Rudolph, Julius Thomas, Dennis Pitta, and Heath Miller. Brady's cap hit for '16 is 19th (behind QBs such as: RG3, Kaepernick, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, etc.). That's assuming numbers as of now (we all know that many of these players are going to get cut or forced to restructure.

This just reemphasizes the fact that you can't pay top dollar to everyone that wants it, especially in Free Agency. If you tie up $20M+ on one person, and they get injured, you're screwed and will have absolutely no quality depth throughout your roster. They only way you have a chance to be good (if you pay a small set of people a lot) is if you draft well, find cheap undrafted free agents that can contribute, or be able to get veterans on short cheap contracts. I'm sure most of this is pretty obvious to anyone here, I just wanted to bring this up in context of the Jets possibly committing money to Fitzpatrick. I'm sure this subject will come up multiple times during the off-season with regards to Free Agency, and extending Jones, Hightower and Collins.

Over the Cap - NFL Salary Cap, Player Contracts, and Related News and Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST