PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jameson Williams suspended for violating gambling policy

It‘s an absurd analogy because safety is not at issue with gambling. But let’s run with it for fun.

The pilot can’t drink while working, but he also can‘t show up drunk after boozing at home. But the player can bet at home or anywhere else, so why can’t he also bet at work?

Why is it not OK to go on social media with many jobs? Isn't that similar?

I can't believe this is a discussion. Of course, an employer can restrict activities when at work.

Why is it not OK to go on social media with many jobs? Isn't that similar?

I can't believe this is a discussion. Of course, an employer can restrict activities when at work.

So now you don’t have a reason for the employer’s restriction. That’s because there is none.

You aren’t allowed to go on social media in some jobs because you are supposed to be working. The player in this case wasn’t penalized because he placed a bet instead of working. He was penalized only because he placed a bet on the premises.

For ages the lines were drawn between gambling and pro sports were obvious, now there are gambling site sponsoring pro teams and signs all over the place.
This was a slippery slope they ventured into and will only create more problems in the future..

So now you don’t have a reason for the employer’s restriction. That’s because there is none.

You have no clue if there is a reason or not, which really there doesn't even have to be.

Maybe there is team/league liability if the player lost a deal of money. There might be an issue where a bet is being placed that the league might not want to be involved with. It doesn't matter.

It's at the discretion of the employer, unless the union files a complaint, which I haven't heard.

But it certainly is a reasonable request to ask an employee not to make a money wager while at work.

Yes, there are many examples where customers are allowed to partake in things employees are not allowed.

Do you want your pilot flying the plane while drinking? And the airline sells the beverage.

I don't understand why the league is doing anything wrong. They even allow the gambling. Just not on their premises, if you are paid by them.

Why is that unreasonable?

So if they walk to the parking lot and place a bet it is OK? You think that distinction is important?

So if they walk to the parking lot and place a bet it is OK? You think that distinction is important?

For some reason, they don't seem to want a bet on their property, so the parking lot is probably not ok.

For some reason, they don't seem to want a bet on their property, so the parking lot is probably not ok.

The point is that if they walk onto the sidewalk, is it OK to place a bet two hours before a game? The geography of the placement of the bet is silly and immaterial. The content of the bet is what matters. Robert Kraft owns DraftKings (or equivalent) stock, so every time he walks into Gillette he sells his stock, and re-purchases it as he walks out of Gillette? Of course not, because the geographical location is not material. What is material is the intent of the bet. Let's concentrate on what is important.

The point is that if they walk onto the sidewalk, is it OK to place a bet two hours before a game? The geography of the placement of the bet is silly and immaterial. The content of the bet is what matters. Robert Kraft owns DraftKings (or equivalent) stock, so every time he walks into Gillette he sells his stock, and re-purchases it as he walks out of Gillette? Of course not, because the geographical location is not material. What is material is the intent of the bet. Let's concentrate on what is important.

They did focus on what's important. There were different penalties.

The geography of the bet is likely rooted in liability for the business. That is material for the business. But even if it's not, it's still well within a league's rights.

But it certainly is a reasonable request to ask an employee not to make a money wager while at work.
There’s no stated reason for the rule so it can’t be “reasonable.” He wasn’t “working” when he bet so he wasn’t “at work.”

We’ll see what the union does.

They did focus on what's important. There were different penalties.

The geography of the bet is likely rooted in liability for the business. That is material for the business. But even if it's not, it's still well within a league's rights.

It is not a liability for the NFL businesses. The NFL team owners own stock in betting companies. Yes, it is within the league's rights. When it is all boiled down, that is your argument? It is OK if the fines are tiered because it is within the league's rights? Silly argument. Embarrassing if that is your point.

I would trade our 1st round pick for Jameson Williams right now.

I imagine you would. Good for you.
Have you seen this freak's Alabama highlights? You're aware he was the 12th overall pick last year? Even though he was unlikely have an impact until 2023.

For ages the lines were drawn between gambling and pro sports were obvious, now there are gambling site sponsoring pro teams and signs all over the place.
This was a slippery slope they ventured into and will only create more problems in the future..

The NFL made their bed, they can sleep in it now.

What a frigging mess.

It is not a liability for the NFL businesses. The NFL team owners own stock in betting companies. Yes, it is within the league's rights. When it is all boiled down, that is your argument? It is OK if the fines are tiered because it is within the league's rights? Silly argument. Embarrassing if that is your point.

You know nothing about liability, yet speak like you do. That's what is embarrassing.

Word is he bet on college football games. Maybe he knows players on some team and has inside information. Considering his age, the chances are he knows many college football players, so it is possible. While the bet would not affect the league if there was no connection, a legal team might determine that there is risk of investigation by a third party or the league is open to liability if the bet was made on their property. Why would they allow any of that?

If a fan throws a bottle inside the stadium, and it hits someone who is seriously injured, do you think the team gets sued? If the same thing happens a mile away, what is the team's liability? And the fan isn't an employee, just a paying customer. Does that make it clear enough?

And how does owning a fantasy company by ownership carry this same risk?

Last edited:
You know nothing about liability, yet speak like you do. That's what is embarrassing.
Might be true. But I do know once you go Asian you will never go back.
Word is he bet on college football games. Maybe he knows players on some team and has inside information. Considering his age, the chances are he knows many college football players, so it is possible. While the bet would not affect the league if there was no connection, a legal team might determine that there is risk of investigation by a third party or the league is open to liability if the bet was made on their property. Why would they allow any of that?
We were discussing whether a player should be able to make a sports bet on his phone while at the stadium versus on the sidewalk outside the stadium. This comment by you is a complete change of topics. Is your other screenname Wozzy or All3phases?
If a fan throws a bottle inside the stadium, and it hits someone who is seriously injured, do you think the team gets sued? If the same thing happens a mile away, what is the team's liability? And the fan isn't an employee, just a paying customer. Does that make it clear enough?
Throwing a bottle? We are talking about a player making a bet inside the stadium versus outside the stadium on the sidewalk.
And how does owning a fantasy company by ownership carry this same risk?
I assume there is a "conflict of interest" in the players using their phone inside the stadium versus outside on the sidewalk, so it is banned. Owners of professional sports teams owning shares in sports betting companies carry a significant conflict of interest. The owners are incentivized to encourage betting (because that makes them more money), so the owners are motivated to encourage betting of their paid customers sitting in the stadium. But a player has to walk outside the stadium to the sidewalk to place a bet because they have a conflict of interest?

The NFL made their bed, they can sleep in it now.

What a frigging mess.
The NFL only cares about $$$$$$$$$$$$$ as long as their pockets are lined and advertisers pay big bucks they are happy as pigs in poop.

Might be true. But I do know once you go Asian you will never go back.

We were discussing whether a player should be able to make a sports bet on his phone while at the stadium versus on the sidewalk outside the stadium. This comment by you is a complete change of topics. Is your other screenname Wozzy or All3phases?

Throwing a bottle? We are talking about a player making a bet inside the stadium versus outside the stadium on the sidewalk.

I assume there is a "conflict of interest" in the players using their phone inside the stadium versus outside on the sidewalk, so it is banned. Owners of professional sports teams owning shares in sports betting companies carry a significant conflict of interest. The owners are incentivized to encourage betting (because that makes them more money), so the owners are motivated to encourage betting of their paid customers sitting in the stadium. But a player has to walk outside the stadium to the sidewalk to place a bet because they have a conflict of interest?

The NFL only cares about $$$$$$$$$$$$$ as long as their pockets are lined and advertisers pay big bucks they are happy as pigs in poop.

As a little side story to this. During the 90's I wrote a fantasy football column every week for fun. I didn't get paid, but approached many major sites to carry my articles and CBS/ESPN/FOX and others did, because almost nobody else wrote about fantasy football.

I approached the Patriots for a media pass and an intern inside issued one to me on one condition; that I not tell anyone else associated with the team what I was covering because fantasy sports were considered gambling and strictly forbidden. He said he could be fired.

img_0801.jpg

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back