PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears crumbling, paving way for Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I missed that it was about SF. Certainly if I were building a team I'd rather have JG than Kaepernick.

I don't see what's wrong with saying that Newton isn't very accurate. He isn't. He struggles to get to a 60 percent completion rate, which is pretty much the floor for modern NFL QBs.

There's nothing wrong with saying that accuracy is not his strength. There's something wrong with

The difference is, Newton never had the qualities elite QBs require.

That's clearly not correct. He was an elite QB last year, to the point of winning the MVP. He's more Elway than Marino, but that doesn't mean he can't be elite. It just means that he's got a different QB skillset.

You mean Kaepernick. Because I was talking about Kaepernick.

But we don't know if Garoppolo has the qualities of an elite QB either. How can we from such a small sample size? We still haven't seen a team game plan against him to exploit his weaknesses. His two biggest weaknesses (at least of what we know of) are his height and his propensity to hold onto the ball too long when he doesn't get rid of the ball really quick. In the first two games this year, both defenses gave his receivers a clean release off the line and didn't flood the center of the field to make his passing lanes muddled.

6'2" isn't a weakness, just a slight disadvantage.

Word is he shorter than that. Everyone who has seen him in person says he is probably closer to 6 foot.

Russell Wilson has shown that height can be overcome. But a lot of shorter QBs can be hindered by flooding the middle of the field.

Joe momtana was 6 2. when your accurate, it dont ****ing matter. Montana always had an average arm anyway. Dont tell me jerry rice, won a superbowl without him

Drew Brees has had a (near) hall of fame career and is 6ft. If a QB has tremendous accuracy and good arm strength these qualities can overcome being a mere 6ft.

You guys are talking like J.G. is the Michael J. Fox of the QBs :). 6022 (according to NFL draft scout) is a decent height for an NFL passer IMHO, at least it's heigh enough not to be regarded as a limiting factor, especially for a pretty mobile QB like Jimmy. If height did matter that much, then the Gropp would never have been drafted by NE since 6066 Ryan Mallett would be not only 6043 Brady's heir apparent but TFB 2.0, and Paxton Lynch in Denver would already have taken the starting job off struggling, 4-inch-shorter Trevor Siemian's hands... Oh, and Julian Lilliput Edelman would never have reached that insane Playoff Career Passer Rating :D

Last edited:
Seriously this isn't rocket science, Garrapolo has to be traded he's not getting tagged or resigning for some phantom discount. It's him or Brady if you think Brady can do this for 3-5 more years you keep him. And we're not getting a top 5 pick more like a 2nd and 2018 1st

I don't know what kind of compensation they're getting but the Bears may be the most inclined team to take the risk of paying the price of a future franchise QB for Jimmy as they had that joint practice to get a closer look. Especially if the HC job is up for grabs after 2016 (Josh McD, same reason). The more i think about it, the more it feels like the planets are aligning for a trade to the Bears, should a trade happen.

Word is he shorter than that. Everyone who has seen him in person says he is probably closer to 6 foot.
He's 6'2 1/8. That's what he measured at the combine and pro day, and I doubt he's shrunk since then.

I like what you posted but to be fair to Jimmy G the Dolphins are currently 6-4 with a defense 14th in yards, 15th in points, and 8th in qbr. He threw three TDs in 18 minutes. Luck's had two games his entire career with a qbr higher than Garoppolo did vs. Miami.
Also to be fair, the example you casually threw about Luck really isn't fair as Jimmy G did not finish the Dolphins game. The example provided is more akin to a punter or kicker running a fake and throwing a TD and having a perfect QB rating. No one says that kicker has a higher rating than QB X.
I mean Jimmy played great that game (was definitely slowing down) but didn't even make it to the half.
I really like Jimmy G and some day he may be a Pro Bowl QB, but all this talk about him being a top 10 QB right now just seems a little premature.
And why would the Pats want to downgrade their team for 2017 just because they think Jimmy G may be better in 2018 or 2019. I am guessing it is a good choice for the team to have. TB12 still playing like the GOAT or a nice young QB that has definite promise.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

The running qb has a much shorter career projection all o lines being equal.

At the end of the day if a team believes jimmy g can win them games, then a top five pick in a draft with no highly rated qb's is a small price to pay.

I agree with this, people are looking at all stats and market variables when analyzing JimmyG possible trade market but this is something much more simple, it's like you said, win games, I think some are diminishing how important this is or simply not looking. The season is short and almost all divisions are no cake walk. The race for playoffs is always in the 10+ win conversation, with some exceptions to 9 and very rarely 8.

If you lose 4 games that you had a shot to win because of inconsistent QB play you are out. Game over. End of story. Because for a 8-8ish team there will be games they are supposed to lose, and in fact they will lose more often than not. So in the end for a team that is not the Patriots, or the Colts Manning or the good Aaron Rodgers packers teams, a normal team with playoff hopes have a 16 game schedule where there will be games they are under dogs, some games where they are favorites and inside the division games that are always tough. Some games they are supposed to win they will lose and vice-versa so that evens out. So we are talking about a very small delta here like 3-4 games that will define a teams season. So it doesn't matter how well the QB will QB your team as long as he win games, nice stats and blowouts be damned even though this is nice. There are few QB's that can win games they are not supposed to lose consistently in the NFL right now and they are all under contract. If a team without this kind of QB have a shot at getting one of them they automatically get into a different conversation, and it's important to build a culture of winning games. Teams that win less than 5 games every season never get out of this hole.

JimmyG makes a lot of sense in Chicago, a 1st round pick is important but is no guarantee you're getting a great player, there are injury risks, fit risks, behavior, a lot of factors, it's indeed a small price if you have a change to get a QB to get out of this mess Chicago is in right now. And I say it's a small price looking at both sides, I am reluctant to trade Jimmy for only a 1st because in the end if you draft a QB you trading 6 for half-dozen with a little more leverage on the duration of the contract (after all that's why you're making a trade, to get some return not lose). If it's a high dradt pick I can see, but if you are out of the top 10 BB could easily just draft another Easley or Glass I Dowling. If BB and McDaniels believe those 6 quarters of football were for real and tape-proof he is worth more that that and in this case I don't think there will be a trade. There will be a transition to Brady to Jimmy G.

Well according to Bill its a seamless transition from Brady to Garrapolo. Whether he really believes that or is trying to ramp up his trade value, is anyones guess.

Well according to Bill its a seamless transition from Brady to Garrapolo. Whether he really believes that or is trying to ramp up his trade value, is anyones guess.

The scuttlebutt is that BB is sending the message that Wild Bill's Hot Young QB Emporium will be open for business this offseason.

Personally, I think there's a second part to the message: don't expect a bargain.

The Bears are a franchise in tatters at the moment. The biggest issue is that the owners have no source of revenue outside of the ownership of the team. Therefore, they value profits above everything else, penny-pinching and nickel and dime-ing at all levels of their organization . This is why an accountant runs the football operations, and why they have to look outside the organization and hire a "firm" to analyze and sound off on top-down football decisions.

Hub Arkush, on 670 The Score out here in Chicago, has been pounding the drums for the Bears to trade for JG. I think, if the Patriots are open to it (although I hope not as I'd like to see JG stay) that Chicago is as good spot for a trade opportunity. A rookie QB with the current coaching regime would mix like oil and water. Fox would prefer to have a guy who has some experience IMO. Now, if the Bears clean house, then all bets are off...

Mcdaniels and Jimmy G instantly turn that franchise around.
If they get their grubby hands on Josh we dont let them take our future in Jimmy G.
Unless your getting at least 3 star players.

Hey fellow forum members/Pats fans hope everyone had nice ThanksGiving!!.. Now onto the thread topic.. I really hope we keep Jimmy G because TB12 aka The GOAT is older and won't player Forever unfortunately as it is!. I don't think J.Brisset is the "future" for NE and as much as a potenial 1st rd pick along with whatever else would suck if TB12 suddenly got really hurt, skills/talent started going south, etc.. Really think as it is rite now presently aside from The GOAT between Jimmy G & Brissett id rather have JG all day & 100x over Brissett!!.. And ya, i know Brissett hasn't had a full year in system but just going off of the different skill sets/talents each have from one another JIMMY G IS OUR GUY!!.. ;)

Hey fellow forum members/Pats fans hope everyone had nice ThanksGiving!!.. Now onto the thread topic.. I really hope we keep Jimmy G because TB12 aka The GOAT is older and won't player Forever unfortunately as it is!. I don't think J.Brisset is the "future" for NE and as much as a potenial 1st rd pick along with whatever else would suck if TB12 suddenly got really hurt, skills/talent started going south, etc.. Really think as it is rite now presently aside from The GOAT between Jimmy G & Brissett id rather have JG all day & 100x over Brissett!!.. And ya, i know Brissett hasn't had a full year in system but just going off of the different skill sets/talents each have from one another JIMMY G IS OUR GUY!!.. ;)
We all love JG. Most of us do, anyway. But you have the "problem" that Brady looks like he'll play more than 2 more years and JG will move on in no more than 2 years. A year and a few months, in fact. Unless Brady changes his mind, suffers a bad injury or the Patriots trade him, it doesn't matter what you think of JG. As much as he probably appreciates it, loving him isn't enough.

Russell Wilson has shown that height can be overcome. But a lot of shorter QBs can be hindered by flooding the middle of the field.

jimmy was measured at 6ft 2 1/4.
2014 NFL Combine: QB

i doubt BB draft him that high if he was 6ft. every inches matter.

aaron rodgers is 6ft 2.

With Brady out of practice again yesterday : maybe we still need the Jimmy a time or two before we ship him away !

jimmy was measured at 6ft 2 1/4.
2014 NFL Combine: QB

i doubt BB draft him that high if he was 6ft. every inches matter.

aaron rodgers is 6ft 2.

Maybe I am wrong, but you and others are getting sidetracked from my point. We haven't seen Garoppolo go against a defense that game planned for him to exploit his weaknesses. That is the real point.

Until we see how he does against good and great defenses that is game planning specifically for him and his weaknesses, we have no idea no idea what he is. He has potential to be great, but a team might be able to exploit weaknesses teach other teams to shut him down.

Wouldn't combine measurements have resolved that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST