PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random theory on Jimmy G. trade to SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where in the OP did I say anything about Brady being resentful? That was something you actually brought up. Brady will be a free agent after this season, and it isn’t due to hate or resentment; free agency just happens sometimes. Hating the Patriots and actively wanting out of NE are not the reasons he would be attracted to SF. His mother is in cancer remission, his family is there, and he will likely move back there at some point, and it would be an option for him. Yes, SF (now off the table with JG there) or NE could very well have been his only two sensible options. It really isn’t that far fetched as you’re making it out to be. You underestimate the role that Tom’s family plays in his life.
Players that have spent 19 years with a team don't just leave because "free agency just happens sometimes" -- especially not when the player is one of the most iconic faces in NFL history. Virtually the only time a player leaves under those circumstances is when his skills have deteriorated to the point of him and the team having drastically different valuations of his worth, or when a successor is waiting in the wings (clearly not the case -- we just traded the successor).

But by all means, stick to your guns and believe this contrived fanfiction you've concocted.

Players that have spent 19 years with a team don't just leave because "free agency just happens sometimes" -- especially not when the player is one of the most iconic faces in NFL history. Virtually the only time a player leaves under those circumstances is when his skills have deteriorated to the point of him and the team having drastically different valuations of his worth, or when a successor is waiting in the wings (clearly not the case -- we just traded the successor).

But by all means, stick to your guns and believe this contrived fanfiction you've concocted.

Way to misuse “contrived” for the second time. I’ve acknowledged multiple times in this thread that I’m not sticking to my guns at all, if you bothered to actually read it. I’ve said I’d go back to amend it to include the Hoyer piece as a major reason behind the deal, making me question this theory, not have I ever claimed to have any certainty. I’m not sure where your hostility is coming from when I’m merely asking if there’s potential merit to this San Francisco-Brady connection in the OP, not making some kind of staunch argument.

After reading this entire thread there's no way Roger & company isn't rooting for this potentially historical Superbowl matchup!

but to call this contrived makes it sound like it’s a totally made up idea to the point of dishonesty"

Way to misuse “contrived” for the second time ...
Contrived is a perfectly-acceptable word to describe what you're doing. Your theory only makes sense if you make like 3 or 4 assumptions (SF has an opening, SF is interested in Brady, Pats-Brady part ways, Brady doesn't want to stay in NE and/or NE doesn't want Brady anymore, etc). You're concocting a scenario predicated on multiple dominoes conveniently falling the way you want them to -- that's contrived in every sense of the word.

Your entire theory is predicated on the basis of Brady considering only the 49ers if he were to leave. That's very contrived.

I think people forget that Brady is married to an incredibly rich lady who is also very opinionated. Where Brady goes after his time in NE are as much her decision as they are his. That is why you will not see Brady in Arizona, Indy, etc.

Much has been made about why the Pats only got a high 2nd rounder for JG. Really? JG has just 5 quarters of actual game film before he was traded. Granted it was good film, but the kind of team that would have wanted him would have been the kind of team that would have had to give up a high first round pick. That's a hard get for 5 quarters of work. Would you expect teams to give up a high first for Kyle Allen, who has 4 games of winning film in the can?

OTOH, you could also argue that they could have gotten, say, a 2 in 2018 and a 3 in 2019 or something. But remember that SF also paid Hoyer $10M, and the lack of additional/better draft picks makes more sense.

Contrived is a perfectly-acceptable word to describe what you're doing. Your theory only makes sense if you make like 3 or 4 assumptions (SF has an opening, SF is interested in Brady, Pats-Brady part ways, Brady doesn't want to stay in NE and/or NE doesn't want Brady anymore, etc). You're concocting a scenario predicated on multiple dominoes conveniently falling the way you want them to -- that's contrived in every sense of the word.

The assumptions you are referring to would apply if the Patriots thought there was certainty that Brady would end up there, and could predict exactly how it would happen, and account for every twist and turn. That’s ridiculous. It’s much more simple than that. A nice bonus to the JG trade is that if, for whatever reason, however it could happen, if Brady wanted to go home, that door his closed. Kraft wants him to retire a Patriot. Go ahead and think the theory is whack - I’ve been very open to people thinking that. Th problem is you are requiring an ironclad case that Brady would have been destined for SF for sure if they hadn’t traded JG there. I’ve never implied that. Eliminating a possibility doesn’t mean a strong probability of that outcome needs to exist..

You disagree with the theory, which by nature requires assumptions, or it would be an argument of fact.

OTOH, you could also argue that they could have gotten, say, a 2 in 2018 and a 3 in 2019 or something. But remember that SF also paid Hoyer $10M, and the lack of additional/better draft picks makes more sense.
Well the thing I was hoping for was that they'd trade JG before the draft for a first rounder.
I wanted that mostly because it would have made my draft watching that much more interesting.
But given the possibility of the Brady suspension made that idea not a good one, and since it happened it turned out to be a good thing we didn't trade him THEN.

I still think the whole Hoyer thing was a big reason why SF was the best choice for the Pats. For example. Say some other team offered a 1st for JG, or a 2nd and 4th, or something like that. What would the team have done for a back up. IIRC Brissett was injured at the time and clearly not ready to win on a consistent basis even if healthy back then.

So if you don't have that plan for a back up, you really can't trade Jimmy and he'd have walked away for the 100th pick in the 2018 draft. Instead you got the 36th pick in the 2017 draft.....AND a back up QB you could count on.

When you look at the trade compensation for JG, you HAVE add the value of Brian Hoyer to the mix'

Works for me, lets get it printed as the front page story in tomorrow's paper!

Also explains trading him for cheap, a good deal for SF.

I think people forget that Brady is married to an incredibly rich lady who is also very opinionated. Where Brady goes after his time in NE are as much her decision as they are his. That is why you will not see Brady in Arizona, Indy, etc.

I think this is why we won't see Brady anywhere if he splits with NE. She will hopefully put her foot in there and tell him enough is enough.

And I would agree with her.

I think this is why we won't see Brady anywhere if he splits with NE. She will hopefully put her foot in there and tell him enough is enough.

And I would agree with her.

So NE could basically force him to retire if we want to move on after this year.

So NE could basically force him to retire if we want to move on after this year.

NE can't do anything other than not allow him to play for them anymore.

His dad has predicted that it will end ugly.

I'm hoping that before it turns ugly, Gisele steps in and forces him to retire if and when BB decides that it's time to move on.

I'm hoping that before it turns ugly, Gisele steps in and forces him to retire if and when BB decides that it's time to move on.

I'm refering to the statement that Gisele would only let him play in NE. If that's the case we could force his hand if we move on after this year.

I'm refering to the statement that Gisele would only let him play in NE. If that's the case we could force his hand if we move on after this year.

Well that's assuming he is going to listen to her. She has already expressed her desire for him to retire by making that controversial statement about the concussions he has suffered.

I never understood why his dad would feel the need to make that statement? How does that help his son or his son's team?

I never understood why his dad would feel the need to make that statement? How does that help his son or his son's team?
Agenda free honesty.
Papa Brady is not crafting his words to assuage Pats fans’ insecurities

Agenda free honesty.
Papa Brady is not crafting his words to assuage Pats fans’ insecurities
Of course not nor would I expect that. My question was how that comment helps his son or his son's team, both of which I assume he wishes good things for...

I just need a dislike and I’ll have EVERY single type of response to the OP! Please someone make it happen :). Would this be a milestone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3