PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears crumbling, paving way for Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the team feels that Brady can play at an acceptable level for the next 3-4 years then Jimmy G will leave when his contract is up. He isn't gonna re-sign here to be a backup. Only way Jimmy G stays after next season is if the team feels Brady is done.

So if the plan is to keep Brady then we try to get as much as we can for Jimmy G. No need to keep him here and let him walk for nothing.
Going to be really interesting to see what Belichick does. If Tom wants to play another 3 or 4 years it won't be here. A game like last week, when Binky #1 is out and Brady forces 17 throws to Binky #2 and stalls the offense, is why Belichick relishes the idea of having a fresh young QB who's favorite receiver is the open receiver. I think Jimmy G is the next QB of the Patriots and they'll find a way to re-sign him.

Washington really has to pay Cousins or let him walk, franchising him for top five money overall makes no sense.

Romo may well be done, he can't stay healthy.

Garrapolo will cost a team a high price as I think Belichick is fine with keeping him around through 2017.

If Jimmy has to leave NE, we need to find ways to balance the risk of never getting a QB as good as Garoppolo again (Jacoby fails to develop / we can't draft the next Gropp), by building perennial, dominant defense + OL. So the compensation any buying team would have to surrender should result in 3 additional franchise players let alone the players to be drafted with our own picks : high 1st rounder (tradable in multiple early round picks) + player, or high 1st + 2nd in 2018 or 2019, or multiple early round picks in 2017/2018 or 2019.

If no one want to pay that price, then we have to convince Garoppolo that he is Tom Brady's Steve Young and give him enough guaranteed money in a long term/backloaded deal with big playing time incentive, just in case he has to take over earlier than expected (easier said than done).

By the way, once our own guys are extended or franchised, we should have enough cap space left to sign at least one top Free agent (if the money is right).

Last edited:
If Jimmy has to leave NE, we need to find ways to balance the risk of never getting a QB as good as Garoppolo again (Jacoby fails to develop / we can't draft the next Gropp), by building perennial, dominant defense + OL. So the compensation any buying team would have to surrender should result in 3 additional franchise players let alone the players to be drafted with our own picks : high 1st rounder (tradable in multiple early round picks) + player, or high 1st + 2nd in 2018 or 2019, or multiple early round picks in 2017/2018 or 2019.

If no one want to pay that price, then we have to convince Garoppolo that he is Tom Brady's Steve Young and give him enough guaranteed money in a long term/backloaded deal with big playing time incentive, just in case he has to take over earlier than expected (easier said than done).

By the way, once our own guys are extended or franchised, we should have enough cap space left to sign at least one top Free agent (if the money is right).

Much as I hate the idea Belichick may be planning on setting aside Garrapolos franchise money this offseason and franchising him after 2017, then he would have Brady play out 2017 and 2018 and trading him if he isn't ready to hang them up by 2019. That would be problematic however if Brady is still the best player in football after 2018, and the way things are going that may well be the case. Either way he may do as he did with Cassell and franchise and trade him or simply let it play itself out.

I echo others in not understanding media outlets listing Cousins as a potential option for teams in the off season. He has had a top 5 quarterback rating his first two seasons as a starter, the 2nd best career comp. % all time, and is on pace for 5,000 yards. He reminds me of a young Brees. The Redskins can't be that clueless to let a potential elite QB go.

He reminds me of a young Brees. The Redskins can't be that clueless to let a potential elite QB go.
Eeehhh, I think he's more like another Matt Stafford than anything. Still a franchise QB.

It did. He's 6'2 1/8". Rob changed the subject when that was pointed out.

I didn't change the subject. I admitted I was wrong and brought it back to my original point. People got side tracked by the height issue, but my original point stands where I originally talked about height. We still haven't seen a team game plan for Garoppolo and exploit his weaknesses.

Going to be really interesting to see what Belichick does. If Tom wants to play another 3 or 4 years it won't be here. A game like last week, when Binky #1 is out and Brady forces 17 throws to Binky #2 and stalls the offense, is why Belichick relishes the idea of having a fresh young QB who's favorite receiver is the open receiver. I think Jimmy G is the next QB of the Patriots and they'll find a way to re-sign him.
Just a question about the reasoning above - what makes one think that Jimmy G would do any better than 4TDs and no INTs without Binky #1?
I really like Jimmy and he has looked great at times and good all the other times. But I still don't see how people think he is a top 10 QB in the league right now. It all seems to be projection.
Also, Brady still seems to find the open guy most of the time. I mean his TDs went to JE, Amendola, MM, and James White.
All I have to say is a I am grateful for all the memories and championships Brady has brought to Boston. I would also like to caution anyone wanting to run him out of town when he is still playing like the best QB in the league, to be careful what one wishes for.
I trust in BB and hope he makes the decision that helps maximize the Pats SB opportunities.

The only way that franchise gets used on JAG is if Tommy Boy gets injured or shows a multi-game decline. Were either to happen the priority would shift to retaining JAG.
All being well with TFB through February, I think BB would trade JAG for a couple of high 2nds plus a later pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST