PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: I am getting tired of Albert Breer and his anti Patriots Rhetoric

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's his Alma mater.

That doesn't make him any less creepy. He comes across as the same kind of guy who would drive across the state to poisen trees on a rival campus or who would riot and then kneel and pray in Urban Meyer's front yard if he were involved in covering up a crime.

Why does it matter? Football is a sport that always has criticism and trash talk, deal with it. At least you have a team here that talks on the field.

What Breer suffers from is media toadyism. He's only as smart as his insiders lead him to believe he is. When he went to Dallas he fell in love with all things Parcells, including Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano. When they went to Miami with Tuna he predicted great things for that franchise... When it tanked and Tuna abandoned it and then Sporano got canned, not a word... Then he got the courtroom/lockout gig and that gave him even more access to the kind of insecure and egotistical knuckleheads that run the majority of franchises in this league who love to whisper in a mediots ear to curry favor and cast aspersions on their competitors. He's apparently on Rex and Tanny's jocks these days...or anyone who tells him you know...insider stuff about competitors who are beating them. I mean, those guys must be wicked smaht... And his peers treat Bert like a mini-celebrity they are lucky to rub shoulders with because of all his access and whatnot... And that Belichick dude who won't tell a bright rising NFLN star or the local hack anything worth repeating must be the anti-christ.

This pretty much covers it. Look, Breer does seem to know some football. And he can write some good pieces, like this one on NFL.com about the toughness of the '11 Patriots. But when he gets on the radio in Boston, maybe it's an element of not wanting to come across as a homer, but there's also what I think Mo points to here: He always seems to take a "what Patriots fans don't understand" and "that gets too much attention around here" attitude, because fans here clearly don't have the leaguewide perspective he has. I do follow him on Twitter and think he has a lot to offer from around the league, but every time I hear him on the radio my hand is on the dial, because I know at some point he'll turn from football to snark and I don't have much patience for that.

As for Albert Breer it should be noted that he was Mike Reiss before there was a Mike Reiss, and for that I am still to this day grateful for all those reports during that time he was with the Herald.

Something happened either in Dallas, with the Sporting News, or during his return to Boston that affected his writing. When he came back here he was assigned to be the NFL reporter, not the Pats beat writer with the Globe; perhaps they asked him to offer an opposing view counter to that of covering the Pats on a daily basis, I don't know. Or maybe he was looking ahead to getting another opportunity to go national (the Sporting News went into decline just about the time he joined them) and wanted to show that he was something more than a provincial homer.

As suggested previously he could very well have been soured by negative fan reaction too, especially after being very popular here during his original days here with the Boston Herald, as well as with Metro West.

At this point, just like anyone else you don't care for - don't listen to him and don't read him if his viewpoints bother you.

If you go back to that Dallas period, Breer was doing alot of "X and O" work but was vilified as a Pats lover and a Yankee. They killed him for picking the Patriots in 2007.

As a national NFLN guy, there are rules:

Anti-Patriot talk sells. Despite the nonsense about the Cowboys, the Patriots are the league ratings cash cow.

National guys can't devote enough time to one team. Look at the fans we have here of one team and are still completely clueless.

Impartial will never get him to the next elevation of his career.

He did write a nice article over at NFL.com this week on the team.

His "anti" views do mirror alot of the equally clueless mediot opinions. he's not exactly on an island.

Actually Reiss and Breer came into the scene around the same time. I admit I was a big fan of his in 2006 when he gave detailed coverage of training camp and preseason games. He was more like the Greg Bedard before Bedard in that respect.

Unfortunately, Breer is not the same guy he was back in 2006. I don't mind people being critical or contrarian as long as they back up their points with facts and some intelligence (hence why I never hated Felger), but Breer has thrown that all out the window for some reason.

Actually they didn't. Breer basically rode Mike's coatails and replaced Reiss every time Reiss earned a better gig... Except at PFW where Mike started out - possibly the only member of that staff to ever go on to bigger and better things - before joining the Metro West Daily News which shared content with the Boston Herald where he eventually hired him outright once Felger became a multi-mediot before the Globe scooped him up in the wake of the Borges canning before ESPN nabbed him for one of their new regional gigs. Breer followed him at the Metro West, then got tapped by the Dallas Morning News as a beat reporter and blogger (whose let me explain this to you simpletons style didn't sit well with Cowboy fans) and The Sporting News briefly as an NFL reporter before the Globe tapped him to (albeit to cover the NFL) to fill the talent void when Reiss left for ESPN and Karen Guregian apparently passed on a shot to join the Globe staff. The lockout elevated his flagging profile at the Network and probably saved his on air career. Now his suits even fit although he still comes off as a putz.

Bill tends to not like egotistical, self absorbed mediots who spew agenda driven venom about coaches and players to climb their personal career ladder, which is the basis of his issue with many of the old guard in Boston media, but also the impatient gen X or blogger generation mediots who often seem disinclined to even pay their dues before taking up their post as resident critics of guys who actually, you know, do this for a living and in some cases have been doing it well for decades. It's a generational thing and we see it even in posters here...

I blame it all on Woodward and Bernstein and Geraldo...and the internet and fantasy football. Suddenly everyone wanted to be an investigative reporter digging up dirt or breaking shocking news, or making impactful predictions, even if all they were covering is local sports... Today's gen X sports mediots are a bunch of lemmings who spend more time retweeting each other and any jock whose foolish enough to be drawn into the social media fray than honing their respective craft. A guy who succeeds without stooping to joining their fray is labeled as Kraft's fifth son. Even Holley whose success was achieved based on credibility and discretion has had to endure the slings and arrows of his jealous peers (like Felger who never got over or forgave Bill for Patriot Reign...). While they defend a screwup like Tomasse to the death and he gets rewarded in the end for his screwup by landing the plum job that was always his goal...

Bill doesn't have much use for guys who choose to persue the easy road to individual success, and I can't say as I blame or disagree with him. In fact I admire him for sticking to his guns. Let them all fellate their smarmy sources and ballwash opponents at his expense. They'll all come and go, while their collective nemesis will endure.

I think I'll "persue" a law degree and open an office catering to the masses, offering bargain rates per sue...Peter Perseus,Attorney -At-Law.."we pursue for $50 per sue!"...catchy...could mean millions...perhaps even billions.

This pretty much covers it. Look, Breer does seem to know some football. And he can write some good pieces, like this one on NFL.com about the toughness of the '11 Patriots. But when he gets on the radio in Boston, maybe it's an element of not wanting to come across as a homer, but there's also what I think Mo points to here: He always seems to take a "what Patriots fans don't understand" and "that gets too much attention around here" attitude, because fans here clearly don't have the leaguewide perspective he has. I do follow him on Twitter and think he has a lot to offer from around the league, but every time I hear him on the radio my hand is on the dial, because I know at some point he'll turn from football to snark and I don't have much patience for that.

His articles and tweets may demonstrate he is a capable reporter with contacts willing to feed information to him. It does not mean he knows a lot about football. Without trying very hard, I can think of several Patsfans posters who probably know more than Breer.

His articles and tweets may demonstrate he is a capable reporter with contacts willing to feed information to him. It does not mean he knows a lot about football. Without trying very hard, I can think of several Patsfans posters who probably know more than Breer.

When you work for NFLN your articles and tweets demonstrate little more than your ability to deliver spoon fed information in a timely manner...

Because they probably aren't very intelligent.

Whoop-de-doo. So does almost every other team. We DO NOT have some unique revolutionary NFL offense.

Actually, no. Almost every other team does not have pre-snap reads the way the Pats do. Most teams call a play and then rely on the QB to read the defense and make any adjustments in the form of an audible. The Pats rely on the QB and the Receivers to make the SAME read and make the same adjustments without the benefit of an audible. In fact, when you watch the Pats, the only time they audible is when Brady is changing the play entirely.

Wow, they have to remember what they're supposed to do when the safety lines up inside the numbers vs. outside the numbers? Mind-boggling! No wonder they make millions of dollars a year!

Next up for the Pats WRs...cracking cold fusion!

Clearly you don't understand that its more than just remembering what to do when the safety lines up inside or outside the numbers. On each play, each receiver has 3-5 different routes they can run. They have to be in sync with Brady as to which route they are going to run based on what they see. They also have to know what routes the other receivers are going to run so that they don't end up with two receivers in the same spot.

Before commenting further, you really should learn a little bit about the Pats offense so you don't look like a fool when you post your comments..

If you don't like a certain reporter just change the channel or turn the TV off. I do that all the time.

It's the voices in my head that I have a hard time ignoring.

In recent years, we Pats fans have been blessed and cursed when it comes to people in the Media. We've has some great local talent hit is big. Reiss, SMY, Curran, and even Breer all started out at less major media areas, busted their butts and made something of themselves. We've also had the garbage in the form of Borges, Felger and Tomase. Tomase is one of the guys who I couldn't stand before he was hired to the Herald. He was a horrible reporter for the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune and I wasn't surprised that the pre-SB fiasco piece he wrote was false and, for all intents and purposes, fabricated.

However, as they ascended, most of them have warts that they couldn't hide anymore. This is definitely the case with Curran, Breer, and SMY. Curran and Breer both seem to have forgotten what got them to the place they are at now. It definitely wasn't being contrarian without facts.

The only one who doesn't seem to have forgotten what got him to where he is at is Mike Reiss. Though Mike isn't the "RA-RA" boy we all loved when he was writing for the Metro West and Globe, he doesn't go over-board and he clearly hasn't burnt the bridges with the Patriots that Curran and Breer have.

I stopped reading Curran and Breer awhile ago. Mainly because it was clear that they no longer had the access that they once had and the tone in their writings proved it.

Albert+Breer.PNG
FSavage120.jpg

anybody ever seen Breer and Fred Savage in the same place at the same time???

I actually think he looks more like your avatar. Not sure who that is though?

That's Steve McQueen.;].;..one of the greatest actors of his generation..that's his Hollywood mug shot

That's Steve McQueen.;].;..one of the greatest actors of his generation..that's his Hollywood mug shot

I always figured you were actually Steve McQueen just in hiding with Tupac after faking your own death to get out of your contractual obligation to star in Bullitt 2: Electric Boogaloo. Color me disapointed.

no, sorry Rob...actually...I'm Agnes Moorehead...

250px-Agnes_Moorehead_in_Johnny_Belinda_trailer.jpg

no, sorry Rob...actually...I'm Agnes Moorehead...

250px-Agnes_Moorehead_in_Johnny_Belinda_trailer.jpg

What coincidence! I always had a thing for Endura from Bewitched when I was a kid. She (you) always looked smoking with 5lbs of makeup and a moo moo!

Last edited:
no you di'int. steve mcqueen ? come on, man !

Yeah, McQueen was one of the coolest men to ever live and Breer is an adult version of a high school AV geek.

Yeah, McQueen was one of the coolest men to ever live and Breer is an adult version of a high school AV geek.

"AV"?

Rob, you are dating yourself.

I did AV in 6th/7th grade.

I beat standing outside in sub zero weather.:rocker:

Breer is just some guy who has worked really hard to make it in his profession. I give him credit for that.

But... he's got little to no domain knowledge on the subject of football and is a complete hack. His strength is his ambitious nature and his willingness to go anywhere and do anything for the networks. In terms of writing, he's filling out a column but like most of the writers, it should say in small print (little or no domain understanding on subjects written ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News