PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dungy says Super Bowl won’t be close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Dungy says Super Bowl won’t be close

In a thread about the Colts and Dungy.

What exactly are you trying to prove here? Do you think you're going to come in to a Patriots message board and have all of us say that Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady because of this stat or that point? Not going to happen. The Colts are great team and Peyton had a great year. Go enjoy your Super Bowl and bang it out with Saints fans this week. We'll have plenty of time to debate Brady vs. Manning. We'll see you guys up in Foxboro next year.

The PI call in the 4th & 2 game was hardly the "phantom" call that Pats fans make it out to be. There was contact, and the announcers praised the WR on that play for making a veteran move to draw it.

I understand it wasn't much, and truthfully, I wish refs wouldn't make calls like that. But it was within the rules.

If the Colts win it all this year, 4th and 2 officially becomes a legendary NFL Films clip

The ether burns slowly, enjoy it Pats fans

cheers:eat3:

Last edited:

How'd BB do in Cleveland?
Why don't you look it up? For starters, in his first year their defense gave up 120 fewer points than they did the previous year. The second year, they went to the playoffs and won a game. The third year, Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore halfway through the season, after which the Browns understandably lost all their games.

So I'd say he did significantly better than your snide question seems to ignorantly imply.

I'll also note that he helped build that Browns organization, the same organization that won the Super Bowl in 2000 a few years after Bill left. Ozzie Newsome was a Belichick hire.

And the present 10-6 Pats team that was blown out by the Ravens, at home, was built by BB right?

Take your ignorance and just go away.

Anyone that will try to argue that Dungy is a better coach than BB doesn't even warrant being talked to.

And you actually believe that the only reason BB didn't punt on that 4&2 is because he was terrified of Peyton Manning? Learn something about football. It actually had more to do with the law of averages and the New England defense and how it was so gassed at that point, it couldn't stop anyone.

Seriously, get a clue or just go the hell away.

If the Colts win it all this year, 4th and 2 officially becomes a legendary NFL Films clip

The ether burns slowly, enjoy it Pats fans

cheers:eat3:

Newsflash dip$hit. 3>1 even if the Colts win 3>2.

The PI call in the 4th & 2 game was hardly the "phantom" call that Pats fans make it out to be. There was contact, and the announcers praised the WR on that play for making a veteran move to draw it.

I understand it wasn't much, and truthfully, I wish refs wouldn't make calls like that. But it was within the rules.

You must have been hearing colts announcers, because tv anoucers never said that...and yes, it was a BS call.

You must have been hearing colts announcers, because tv anoucers never said that...and yes, it was a BS call.

Nope; it was the national guys. They definitely talked about it. It's not the controversial call that you would like to believe it is...

The Saints have a mediocre defense and they tend to play down to whoever they're playing. I know Pats fans are in awe of them because they blew your team out, but they also barely beat the Falcons, lost to the Cowboys, barely beat the Rams, etc.
QUOTE]

Kind of like how the Colts barely beat SF? Or Miami? Or Houston? How can you discredit the Saints for losing to Dallas? Get a clue, man. The Colts had a cakewalk of a schedule this year. Hell, they usually do. Along with the refs being Polian's boy toys. I respect Peyton Manning as a football player, but man you Colts fans are some of the most dificult to have a real conversation with. You can never see things in reality. Everything is Lord Peyton, Dungy the master and al that bull****.

The Colts were NEVER Dungy's team.

Newsflash dip$hit. 3>1 even if the Colts win 3>2.

Yes, but 6 > 3, so does 5

but the 49'ers , Cowboys, or Steelers aren't playing Sunday either. Just like another team I know :cool:

Last edited:

Yes, but 6 > 3, so does 5

but the 49'ers , Cowboys, or Steelers aren't playing Sunday either. Just like another team I know :cool:

So now you're comparing the Cowboys and 49ers accomplishments. OK, then
6>1
5>1
4>1
3>1

I'll admit. I'm definitely bored when I find myself debating with middle-school kids whose parents happen to Colts fans. Shouldn't you guys be doing homework(especially math) or something. :confused:

Nope; it was the national guys. They definitely talked about it. It's not the controversial call that you would like to believe it is...

Uh, I have eyes, and ears and yes it was.

No, it wasn't.

Yes, it was.

So now you're comparing the Cowboys and 49ers accomplishments. OK, then
6>1
5>1
4>1
3>1

I'll admit. I'm definitely bored when I find myself debating with middle-school kids whose parents happen to Colts fans. Shouldn't you guys be doing homework(especially math) or something. :confused:

Sit back relax and enjoy the game Sunday, just like the rest of the Patriots will be doing. :lol2:

Sit back relax and enjoy the game Sunday, just like the rest of the Patriots will be doing. :lol2:

Oh I will, regardless of the outcome and from the looks of it you seem to think the Colts winning is in the bag. Do you not?

You Pats fans are so damn paranoid. When did I ever say he wasn't a better coach?

The guy asked what did Dungy do without Manning? Quite a bit actually. Dungy established himself as a excellent coach before he coached Manning.

I was pointing out that as a head coach BB hasn't done much without Brady.

Dungy held his own against BB, like I said, I believe they split all time head to head and Dungy beat BB 4 out the last 5 times they met.

Both great coaches, but you have to give the edge to BB. I never said otherwise.

You do realize that, without Brady, Belichick led a team to an 11-5 season while starting a quarterback who hadn't made a single meaningful start since high school right? Should I bring up what his defenses with the Giants and (Tuna era) Patriots did? Now I won't deny that Dungy isn't a good coach, because he is. However, stating that BB hasn't done anything without Brady is simply ridiculous. First 11 win team to miss the playoffs, two Super Bowls wins with the Giants (that featured the great offense of the time getting shut down by his defense), and a Super Bowl appearance with the Pats which featured the Packers only winning because of a return man. How many Super Bowls did Dungy win, either as a head coach or a coordinator, before he had Manning? That's what I thought.

It was a complete bs call. Butler was playing the ball the entire time. He has as much right to the ball as the WR. If there was any contact initiated, it was from the Colts WR slowing down and reaching back for the ball. Either way, no one should have been penalized for the play. Both Butler and Colts WR were playing the ball. And in case you need to know, here is what the rules are in regards to pass interference.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

It was a complete bs call. Butler was playing the ball the entire time. He has as much right to the ball as the WR. If there was any contact initiated, it was from the Colts WR slowing down and reaching back for the ball. Either way, no one should have been penalized for the play. Both Butler and Colts WR were playing the ball. And in case you need to know, here is what the rules are in regards to pass interference.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

case closed!

Going back to the original post, I find it curious that of all reasons to back the Colts he feels the 4th and 2 decision is the best example he can find. Just seems like a passive agressive way to take a jab at BB to me, especially when he says "nobody in their right mind goes for it." Dungy also talks about how he would punt to Brady, but BB didn't want to punt to Manning. Then he uses that logic to conclude Manning is a better QB.

The problem with that logic is that he's assuming the two coaches think alike, which they clearly don't. This has nothing to do with Brady vs. Manning; it's about Belichick's thought process vs. Dungy's. Keep in mind Dungy was run out of Tampa because his ultra-conservative philosophy kept what was one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL out of the Super Bowl during his tenure there. That was a team that probably should have been NFC champ or better two or three times, but that didn't happen. Then as soon as Dungy was gone, the team won the Super Bowl the very next year.

Perhaps Tampa Bay was a good learning experience for Dungy, and he learned to trust his offense a bit more. In my opinion while Dungy was a very good coach, he also benefitted greatly from being in the right place at the right time - twice. In Tampa Bay they had a new owner willing to win; their previous owner was interested only in profits. He also had a slew of draft picks and a decent GM making those picks. The turnaround had already been started by Sam Wyche; with the new owner and players in place he had no place to go but up.

In my opinion though he vastly under achieved. That Buc team was one of the best defenses ever assembled, yet they made it to only one conference championship, which they lost; they had enough talent that they should have made it to two or three more NFCCG's. For some reason people want to give Dungy credit for the Super Bowl Gruden won, but the fact was that they never would have made it that far had Dungy still been the head coach. In fact, the same argument can be made about the Colts. Though he did finally win a Super Bowl there, with the talent on that team they probably should have been in the Super Bowl one or two more times.

Bottom line is that in my opinion while Dungy may have been a good coach based on his record, he is also greatly under achieved based on the talent that was on the teams that he coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back