PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chad Johnson Goes Crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
PFT isn't exactly the most trustworthy source, but IF true what a horrible turn of events for the Bengals!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CHAD TOOK SWING AT MARVIN

A league source tells us that multiple members of the Cincinnati Bengals witnessed a troubling incident as the team prepared to take the field for the second half of Sunday's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Per the source, the last few minutes of intermission were ticking away, when the players were startled by the sight and sound of a helmet slamming against the glass pane of the training room door. Inside, receiver Chad Johnson and receivers coach Hue Jackson were engaged in an altercation. At one point, Johnson was seen holding Jackson in a headlock.

Coach Marvin Lewis entered the training room to intervene, and Johnson (per the source) took a swing at him.

Eventually, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh broke up the skirmish, within a minute or so of the team exiting the locker room for the second half.

On Monday, several members of the team point to the Johnson-Jackson-Lewis incident as the catalyst for the loss of a 17-14 halftime lead and, ultimately, a 31-17 defeat.

Word is that Johnson was unhappy with the lack of balls thrown to him in the first half. A total of three passes came his way, with two completions.

In the second half, another three passes were thrown to Johnson, with only two more completions. For the game, Johnson had four catches for 59 yards.

The incident could have an even more lasting impact on the team than quarterback Carson Palmer's torn ACL and MCL. Some players, we're told, don't want to see Johnson back next year, and there's a belief that the team will be less inclined to give in to Johnson's request for a hefty restructuring of a contract that expires after the 2009 season.

So the Chad Johnson saga very well could evolve into the 2006 version of the Terrell Owens fiasco.

If so, it's very bad news for a franchise that looked to have a very bright future.

Funny how the $#1t keeps floating back up to the surface, isn't it.

I don't buy it for a second.....if, as it says, "Several members of the team pointed to the altercation as a catalyst for the loss"....it would be all over everything.

WHOA! That's the first I've heard of that. If it's true, though, it's very troubling indeed for the Bengals.

Wow.

PFT is the most un-reliable source of all time. I complained a long time ago about an article rumoring that Champ Bailey would be retiring after last season (yeah right.) and the main editor or whatever gets my AIM name and starts saying so much profanity he sounded like a 12 year old.

LiquidBlue said:
PFT is the most un-reliable source of all time.

Actually, I've found them extremely reliable - they're clear when something is just a rumor, they give a sense of how reliable each particular source is, and when they make a mistake, they don't try to hide it. I think they're terrific. Seriously.

I hope that's not true. I know Chad does the TD antics but I hope he's not that selfish. Chad is definitely one of my favorites.

patsox23 said:
Actually, I've found them extremely reliable - they're clear when something is just a rumor, they give a sense of how reliable each particular source is, and when they make a mistake, they don't try to hide it. I think they're terrific. Seriously.
they also said our defensive cordinator is going to get fired after our second game this year. PFT is run by a bunch of lawyers who have their heads stuck up their ass.

I saw his postgame interview outside the locker room on NFL Network. He seemed very subdued, and introspective for Chad. He said something to the effect that it was hard to see Carson go down but he did all he could before the half and then in the second half once some things happened and the Steelers got up on them and it was just over and there was nothing he could do because it was too late.

I hope it's not true. His antics mildly annoy me - all antics do - but he is a lot more charming and seemed less malicious than TO. But if he's all about me and $$$ under the surface, he'll end up self distructing too.

I had a feeling the emotion that was carrying them in the first half might fade after the trip to the locker room, and facing the reality of Carson's injury. They knew they were done, if not this week then next week. Maybe it was just frustration exploding and the coach was trying to calm him down.

There is no excuse for a locker room fight at halftime. The stats are indeed strange. Chad is a pro-bowl wide receiver. I can understand him being very frustrated having only three passes come his way per half. For Cinci to win, Chad needed to have a bigger role.

I really have a hard time believing this. This would be all over the news.

If this were true (and I don't believe it is), I would cut him. There is just no excuse for that, and I firmly believe in people being held accountable for there own actions.

But I will be shocked if this comes out as being true.

Oh sure, cut him. We would first in line to bid for his services, as we were for Dillon.

sarge said:
I really have a hard time believing this. This would be all over the news.

If this were true (and I don't believe it is), I would cut him. There is just no excuse for that, and I firmly believe in people being held accountable for there own actions.

But I will be shocked if this comes out as being true.

No way. Cincinnati was up at the half, and playing against adversity. This makes no sense at all.

Well

It's now being reported on "dave and holley" on WEEI (11:20 am). Dale and Holley are usually really good and they are saying it's starting to come out from multiple sources.

We'll see what happens!

mtbykr said:
It's now being reported on "dave and holley" on WEEI (11:20 am). Dale and Holley are usually really good and they are saying it's starting to come out from multiple sources.

We'll see what happens!
Uh-oh, here it all comes...s**t, meet fan.

Darn, too bad. I was hoping the Bengals organization was turning a corner, but it appears the car may have flipped over.

Bella*chick said:
Uh-oh, here it all comes...s**t, meet fan.

Darn, too bad. I was hoping the Bengals organization was turning a corner, but it appears the car may have flipped over.

Maybe this explains the resurgence of "Golden Boys" into the upper management! Can't picture Marv getting put into a headlock! :eek:

Not sure whether anyone recalls it or not but, when Marvin Harrison scored his first touchdown in the game between the Colts and Bengals Marvin gave the Bengals mascot a little slap on the cheek as he ran by him.
Rumor here in Indy after the game was that CJ went off on Harrison for doing that.

It must be tough to be a Bengals fan.

Three weeks ago: Just clinched the division, going to the playoffs maybe as the 2 seed if it breaks right, you have an explosive young offense led by the best young QB in the sport who you just locked up LT signaling the coach and players that the organization is committed to winning.

Today: You are out of the playoffs and got embarassed 3 weeks in a row, your franchise QB has multiple torn ligaments in his knee, your veteran back-up in a FA, and your star WR got in a fight with a coach because he wasn't getting the ball enough in a playoff game that they were winning at the time!

The only way it can be worse is if Chad follows through on his preseason threats to do this offseason what TO did last.

mgteich said:
Oh sure, cut him. We would first in line to bid for his services, as we were for Dillon.

No we wouldn't. BB is all for admiring exceptional talent, but he makes an exception to acquiring it if it cannot play within the confines of his system. Corey was frustrated with a perentially mismanaged team widely referred to as the Bungles and wanted out to play for a winner, but he was not a problem in the clubhouse or a mouthy player ever. Chad's list antics alone and that bulletin board mouth would exempt him from consideration here.

Lewis tried to firmly but gently tone him down over the course of the season and instill some team in him. If this is the payback Marv gets, screw Chad. It will only get worse if he doesn't have Carson behind center come next September, and I honestly doubt he will. I doubt you'll see Carson much before the bye at best because there is just too much at stake beyond the $$$ for them to take any chances with this guy. Shefter says they may go so far as to franchise Kitna to insure nobody else grabs him, which is some indication of their concern, and if Chad-man had a problem with the offense Sunday he'll be a potential powder keg come next season if he feels his value is being impacted by the QB situation (ala TO). Perhaps the Bengals would be better served to take a small step back and trade the prolific young WR for some additional draft picks before he or their situation lowers that value any further.

mtbykr said:

We'll see what happens!

I thought Marv looked odd at the post game press conference... not just the typical "we just lost an important game" look. I chalked it up to Palmer going down, but now I tend to think this rumor/report may be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News