PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos Bench Wilson, Setting Up Offseason to Move on From Him

To save a bunch of cap space by offloading some of the cost on the other team.
How would that save them? They have to eat the guarantees, only the salaries transfer to the new team.

How would that save them? They have to eat the guarantees, only the salaries transfer to the new team.
His 2024 salary is guaranteed, if they cut him they have to pay it. If they trade him then his new team pays it.

Again there is no upside for the other team.

1. If you actually want Wilson as your starter, it's cheaper to just let Denver release him and sign him for dirt cheap with him knowing Denver is paying the contract next year.

2. If you are doing it for draft picks, you are basically paying millions in cap for a pick when you could just use that cap space to get a more proven player in free agency rather than take a lottery pick.

Neither scenario makes sense. The only reason to do it is if you 100% want Russ and think you can't land him in free agency (which would basically mean you don't believe in him enough to still pay him pennies on the dollar)
That is where you can squeeze Denver. You have to make them make it attractive for you to take his contract and save them some of that cap hit. It’s like a pick-for-cap swap. You are correct to a point. But let’s say Denver would give you their 1st rounder for your 5th rounder, it’s an intriguing proposition. You get 5 years of a mid-1st round talent for $17m of your cap space. That would probably beat out the free agent you might bring in for $17m.

The Russell Wilson move is financial. Russ was the QB that didn't get a win, but it was not his fault.

I am not excited about Wilson coming to the Pats. We need a QB desperately, but I am sure it is Russell Wilson.

That is where you can squeeze Denver. You have to make them make it attractive for you to take his contract and save them some of that cap hit. It’s like a pick-for-cap swap. You are correct to a point. But let’s say Denver would give you their 1st rounder for your 5th rounder, it’s an intriguing proposition. You get 5 years of a mid-1st round talent for $17m of your cap space. That would probably beat out the free agent you might bring in for $17m.
You get a first round pick for his contract plus 17 million, meaning you overpaid by 17 million.

Again there is no upside for the other team.

1. If you actually want Wilson as your starter, it's cheaper to just let Denver release him and sign him for dirt cheap with him knowing Denver is paying the contract next year.

2. If you are doing it for draft picks, you are basically paying millions in cap for a pick when you could just use that cap space to get a more proven player in free agency rather than take a lottery pick.
Technically, a team might be willing to do this to avoid competition. But given the offsets, I agree that it's unlikely that his contract, as is, would be tradable.

I'm coming around on him as well. Hand size is smaller than ideal and seems some reports question his short/intermediate velocity and accuracy. He looked ok to me. I wish he had Penix's arm. He's on a different level
I'm also afraid he's going to be a fast riser and out of our reach by draft day. The next two weeks are HUGE

I'm coming around on him as well. Hand size is smaller than ideal and seems some reports question his short/intermediate velocity and accuracy. He looked ok to me. I wish he had Penix's arm. He's on a different level
Not enough love for Penix Jr... Yes there are injury issues but the upside is tremendous. I think a lot of teams also get scared off of him because he's a lefty.

Not enough love for Penix Jr... Yes there are injury issues but the upside is tremendous. I think a lot of teams also get scared off of him because he's a lefty.
I think the concern is more with his knees TBH.

TJI: Wilson released
I don’t think that’s possible, if he is cut now then his $17M guaranteed salary in 2024 will accelerate onto 2023’s cap, and Denver only has $750k in cap space.

You get a first round pick for his contract plus 17 million, meaning you overpaid by 17 million.
But you carry that 17M cap hit for only one year. You really wouldn’t buy an extra first rd pick for a one time cap hit of 17M? I’d do it in a heartbeat. No way in hell Denver does it, but it’s an interesting possibility to discuss.

But you carry that 17M cap hit for only one year. You really wouldn’t buy an extra first rd pick for a one time cap hit of 17M? I’d do it in a heartbeat. No way in hell Denver does it, but it’s an interesting possibility to discuss.
You would be paying the cost of a 1st plus 17 mill. That is no longer value
Gonzales’ entire contact was 15 mill.

And yes Denver isn’t giving up their first round pick in order to get rid of a player.

Haven't read this thread but all I have to say is Payton is an total asshat. Comes across as seriously unlikable.

He'll always have a soft spot in my heart for fighting Goondell on BountyGate; and for wearing a Stokoe the Clown tee shirt (underneath a light, collared shirt but clearly visible) during a training camp/OTA interview once...

The plot thickens. The Broncos front office are scum bags.

It seems Payton couldn't stand with Wilson from the very beginning. That Wilson's office in the building, he demolished that in day one.

I believe he went to the Broncos upper management and said I don't wanna see this guy around here anymore. Normally after that investment disfunctional franchises would double down on the mistake for another year or 2. He's cutting the loss real fast.

I agree, $17M is worth the chance at a mid 1st round talent. That could be your new left tackle or your new number 1 WR.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back