PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos Bench Wilson, Setting Up Offseason to Move on From Him

Yeah, both were traded for negative value...which was my point. The Broncos could find some cap relief by unloading Wilson and giving up a high pick....
I don’t think anyone will take Wilson at that cost.

Theoretically Pats could send Denver a 5th in exchange for Wilson and a 2nd, in order to relieve them of his contract. Then NE could either keep him for what would basically be 2 years/$54 million fully guaranteed ($27m per year), after which all future salaries are non-guaranteed, or they could immediately cut him before the 5th day of the 2024 league year hits in order to avoid his 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and just take a $17m cap hit in 2024 in exchange for a 2nd rounder.

Depends on what you think of Wilson. I think he has looked better under Payton this year but obviously not quite what he once was. If they wanted to go the "veteran QB starter, draft a rookie to develop in 2nd round to sit for a year or two" route then Wilson is an option and you might be able to get a pick back in the deal that you could use to select said rookie. Or you just dump $17m off your 2024 cap for the pick. I think you'd get a credit if he signed with another team as a free agent as well. Just food for thought.

Edit: Jesus, Denver doesn't even have a 2nd. These guys...
Why would Denver give away a pick to dump a guy they could just cut?

Rare occurrence of both teams losing a trade. Fant is a middling TE, Boye Mafe is the only standout player Seattle drafted. Verdict is still out on Charles Cross. The rest are on other teams or busts.
What? Seattle won that trade a dozen different ways.

We will have the money and draft capital to put top talent around Mayfield. The defense is prime and ready to go.
Laughed at putting top offensive talent around him part. Are you new?

It was a Huge mistake letting Stiddy go basically for nothing he's basically better than both QB's we have now. Talk about a series of unfortunate events.
What are you talking about? The guys is a lifetime 1k passer with 59% compl, 6 TD, 7 Ints and 73 QB rating.

These trades, where the farm is sold for a single player, feel like they never pan out. It's one thing to tie future cap space up in leverage for a contract. It's another thing to tie up future cap space and future high-round draft picks. I'd argue there's very few players - if any - worth that cost. Even Mahomes.
Teams and QBs saw Brady be elite in his 40s and both sides started thinking everyone could do it.

Without Brady winning SB in Tampa, I don't believe Russ and Rodgers get the deals they have gotten since.

Things will recalibrate eventually.

Kinda crazy that Wilson has better stats than mahomes this season

What are you talking about? The guys is a lifetime 1k passer with 59% compl, 6 TD, 7 Ints and 73 QB rating.
Some guys take a little more time ahmed. The little we have all seen from Stiddy would have moved mountains here. Have you seen Drew Lock play as a Back up recently?? He's looked more than capable again some guys get it later on

Kinda crazy that Wilson has better stats than mahomes this season
We don't want him as a gap QB don't try to talk us into him RIpats. :)

That's a lot of dead money...for as disappointing as Russ has been, I'd rather have him if I'm paying him anyways and not eat all his guaranteed money up front.
Yup - this is the only thing that makes sense. You are eating 85MM in dead cap which will cripple your team for a good 2 years. Also you are not likely to replace him with anyone better during those years.

Has to be that Peyton hates his guts or wants him to be the fall guy while he stinks next 2 years with zero pressure. I guess he hopes to land a QB over those 2 years he will have a crappy record which will buy him a few more years.

Some guys take a little more time ahmed. The little we have all seen from Stiddy would have moved mountains here. Have you seen Drew Lock play as a Back up recently?? He's looked more than capable again some guys get it later on
I have seen Stidham play and he was always crap.

Based on what? Your imagination? Because none of it is based in reality of what all 3 have done.
I guarantee he will play well in Denver's next two draw your own conclusion.

They will most likely look to trade him... Might have to eat some of the money, but he still has some value
They’re going to have an eat a lot of the money, let’s be real, his play has been terrible.

They’re going to have an eat a lot of the money, let’s be real, his play has been terrible.
yeah... a big chunk no doubt but if it cuts that 49M in dead money down a bit, its a win i guess

saw this article about the why... somewhat interesting...

Wilson is slow and can't see the field, he may have good stats this year but the eye test from the Broncos games I've seen, man it's painful to watch

Why would Denver give away a pick to dump a guy they could just cut?
To save a bunch of cap space by offloading some of the cost on the other team.

To save a bunch of cap space by offloading some of the cost on the other team.
Again there is no upside for the other team.

1. If you actually want Wilson as your starter, it's cheaper to just let Denver release him and sign him for dirt cheap with him knowing Denver is paying the contract next year.

2. If you are doing it for draft picks, you are basically paying millions in cap for a pick when you could just use that cap space to get a more proven player in free agency rather than take a lottery pick.

Neither scenario makes sense. The only reason to do it is if you 100% want Russ and think you can't land him in free agency (which would basically mean you don't believe in him enough to still pay him pennies on the dollar)

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back