PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Autistic kids Coach a disgrace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SaCaCh said:
Mr. Also-ran will be on Felgers show today from 5-7 so please by all means call up the show and give him HECK!!

Too bad Halloran finally gets known because of this. Best thing to happen to his "career" was to piggyback his criticism of the circumstances of the autistic kid's achievement.

Now THAT, Mr. Halloran, is a proper definition of "evil".

shmessy said:
There is no "side" to the coaches story. His side is all of America's side today. 99% of the population is behind him, Jason and that whole story. The 3 or 4 Clifford Clavins' living in their mom's basements, mourning over their broken dreams (like Bob Halloran, Pats1, etc.) can moan all they want.

BTW, did I imagine it or did Halloran call the coach an "evil hypocrit"? OK, it's debatable whether one wants to call him a hypocrit, but calling him "evil"? Does WCVB have any standards? What did the coach do for Halloran to label him "evil"?

If I were the station manager, I'd start being a bit concerned about this 3rd stringer who represents my station to the public.

OK, no "side". I listened to most of the Rome interview. The coach said multiple times how emotional he (the coach) was about the whole thing, especially when the boy caught fire shooting, as were his players and the crowd. He had to sit down, and he never sits down during a game, the JV coach asking him if he was OK. He'd spoken to the opposing coach prior to the game saying he may put the autistic boy in the game...OK. The only thing I didn't like was the coach said the boy tried out for the team as a player, but he "wasn't good enough". I'd prefer him saying he didn't make the cut, or something like that. The coach sounded sincere to me. As you and others said, what's with this Halloran guy?

I think the coaches job is to teach basketball and to win at baseketball. With his team up up 20 points, he let the autistic manager with a deadly three point shot (unguarded) play. Yah......and????? Was he supposed to play him if they were tied with four points left? And what? Give the autistic kid a lifetime memory - and if playing him had led to a loss - the other kids would be what? Not living the "dream" right? Yeesh, what a nothing, negative, story this is.

The media is scum. I've felt this way for a LONG time now.

Garbanza said:
I think the coaches job is to teach basketball and to win at baseketball. With his team up up 20 points, he let the autistic manager with a deadly three point shot (unguarded) play. Yah......and????? Was he supposed to play him if they were tied with four points left? And what? Give the autistic kid a lifetime memory - and if playing him had led to a loss - the other kids would be what? Not living the "dream" right? Yeesh, what a nothing, negative, story this is.

I don't agree that entire is media is scum, but this guy should be publicly shamed.

Garbanza said:

He's been vocal on the bench..his father worried that he might be so vocal sometime that he'd get a T and cost the team a game. An incredible story!!
but Halloran?? WHen I read that, it seemed like he was just a sports scrooge...something to complain about...facts in his story wrong and hypocrisy everywhere...

This kid took his job as Team Manager very seriously.

He would do ANYTHING to help his team win. Its insulting to him to suggest that anyone should put his personal agenda before the team.

I don't think he, nor his father, nor his teammates, nor his coach, felt that having him play routinely, or in a close game, would help the team win.

I think this kid would be the first to acknowledge that the other guys who were ACTUALLY ON THE TEAM as players, generally give his team a better chance to win.

It seems clear the coach was prepared to play him regardless of the score - but the blowout and 4 minutes of play, including all those 3-pointers really make this a great story.

Man, a SECOND thread about this?

You'd think Helen Keller just became president.

Last edited:
pats1 said:

go away.... fine you don't like the story for whatever reason, find it in your cold dark heart to not post or read anything about it anymore...just go away.

pats1 said:

She would have made a better Prez than shrub ever will be..

Pats726 said:
She would have made a better Prez than shrub ever will be..

Uh oh...my contrarian status rears its head again...

I'm a Bush supporter! :eek:

Pats726 said:
It was the last game of the year..J-Mac wasn't even ON the team..he wasn't tall good enough to play on the varsity or even the junior varsity..he was the manager,,, How many high school team mangers EVER play in a game??? Do you know of any that ever have?? Halloran to me misses it when he attacks the coach..My question to him is is he going to attack every other coach that does NOT let the last few players and manager play. Ask all the local high school coaches if they are going to let their managers play?? If not, have the same zeal and attackk them!! This coach let him play..others NEVER do and are off the hook. Jason played in only one game so he was ineligible for the post season..the next game. Halloran doesn't mention it because that is a fact he didn't want to know about..didn't fit in with his story. Schmessy is so correct in his assessment..what a scrooge!! Maybe WCVB should be bombarded with e-mails...

I know Bob personally so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I personally think he is way off on this on.

The writer must have always been picked last for kickball ...

The coach balanced the team with the individual so that both got a piece of the spotlight. I'm willing to bet that if told about this article McElwain would come back with a simple "We won, didn't we?"

If we follow Halloran's line of reasoning, does this mean that Scott Pioli is going to play some DB for us this year? (Ok, bad example, I heard it was close to this last season.)

Bruce Allen in today's (march 3d) bostonsportsmedia.com has the take on Halloran's ugly piece. It's a few paragraphs down.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com

shmessy said:
Bruce Allen in today's (march 3d) bostonsportsmedia.com has the take on Halloran's ugly piece. It's a few paragraphs down.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com
BRAVO!!!! I am glad they commented on that trash piece..I was just if not more outrageed by it.
BTW CBS followed up the story last night. It seems AThena HS was cited years ago for not following laws with those with disabilities; basically I guess segregating them. IN the last years, the school made large strides and thus, much more inclusive. The interviewed one of the guys on the team who basically said that J-Mac is just one of the guys...doesn't really think about his autism. To me, Coach Johnson did something many many other coaches would not do...and sadly, those coaches will never at all be criticized nor even known about.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however whacked. But Melori about sums it up where Halloran is concerned:

"I think I can, faintly at least, see the point Halloran is trying to make through the ugliness, but his insulting style negates any credence there might be to his argument. I don't get it. Why take this story...one which has the whole country feeling good, and try to put this level of nastiness and negativity to it? It's uncalled for. More, it smacks of the whole "Look at me, I've got a contrary opinion!" mentality that is sadly all too common these days. The name-calling towards this coach, of whom I have heard nothing negative, is just plain low."

Felger's phone was ringing off the hook during Halloran's 5-7 slot with callers wanting a shot at the jerk. And that will probably get him a lot more time on ESPN Radio Boston, unfortunately. It's not about content - Felger's show is unfortunately going down the crapper quality wise. Most of his in studio guests lately are low level local mediots. It's all about the ratings. And controversey and contrarian opinions are what fuel ratings.

MoLewisrocks said:
It's not about content - Felger's show is unfortunately going down the crapper quality wise. Most of his in studio guests lately are low level local mediots. It's all about the ratings. And controversey and contrarian opinions are what fuel ratings.
Guess who is on today...WRONG Borges....

SaCaCh said:
um....ok... and?

Its one guys opinion, and he's wrong. He is just trying to drum something up from a national story, to draw attention. MOST "reporters" do this now. I grew tired of it years ago and ignore it, you should too and you will be less angry.

I feel the same way, SaCaCh, but most Americans are like lemmings following the media where ever they are led. Your advice, while wise, will not be followed by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call