PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Sign Moss too, to a 5 yr extension!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OPINION:Sign Moss too, to a 5 yr extension!

Because of the confusion created by the thread title, I added "OPINION".

Now I think that Moss is very different from Brady. Five years is way too long as we don't know what the new CBA will bring. We on this board have been very loose with Bob Kraft's money.

Personally I'd like to see if he is motivated by this year being his contract year. If he shows he still really has it and produces, then maybe a 3 year max deal after the season if he wants to stay a Patriot and be with Tom to end his career.

Are you serious? He was fantastic last year with a screwed up back. He still has a few more good years in him.

This is a contract year for one of the best WRs to play the game,probably second best ever just behind Rice - This should be Randy Moss's biggest effort we will see in a Pats uniform to show the league he still is worth big dollars at 34 next year

I still wonder how good he will really be? We face some pretty good secondaries this season including the Jets twice,Baltimore,Indianapolis and Pittsburgh - if Randy is worth the $$$ to keep him here I would expect some big games against some pretty good secondaries - of course this all starts with OL protection and Brady having time to let him get loose from the 2nd tier of defense.

Last edited:

Because of the confusion created by the thread title, I added "OPINION".

Now I think that Moss is very different from Brady. Five years is way too long as we don't know what the new CBA will bring. We on this board have been very loose with Bob Kraft's money.

Personally I'd like to see if he is motivated by this year being his contract year. If he shows he still really has it and produces, then maybe a 3 year max deal after the season if he wants to stay a Patriot and be with Tom to end his career.

Perillo was on with DA tonight on my ride home and while he agrees that Moss appears to still have it he's comfortablr with his playing for his dinner from here on out for other reasons...or moving on. And he thinks the team is as well. I think Bill admires his talent. I think there are a couple of things about him he'd just as soon were different... I think whether he's here next season depends on his overall performance this entire season, how the kids progress and whether he's singlemindedly focused on making bank before he's done 'cause he isn't going to do that here at his age. Not after what happened with Dillon after his extension or what he's seen from some elite aging WR's he thought had something left based on their last year or two elsewhere and it turned out they didn't...

There was a reason they didn't tag Moss. They wanted it to be his decision to stay here on their terms which weren't really that far off his potential high market. They love and what he's brought here most of the time. But that some of the time crap still lurks just beneath the surface and they know that. Paul actually equated him to dealing with Manny from a Brady Belichick perspective. If he pays dividends you can justify it. If not, it gets harder to. Said it's always more about him than team so even if we're winning and the kids are getting a lot of his touches it could get difficult again down the stretch this season...and if that happens they will let him walk. If not, then they will probably think long and hard about extending him if he will take another short term deal.

Last edited:

The money will only stretch so far. The Patriots have secured Willfork, Gostkowski, Warren Ty, and maybe Brady.

Who do you want more Mankins? Moss? or Seymour? Choose one or possibly two, out of three.

Salary Caps SUCK. :mad:

I thought Moss played pretty well last season. The "decline" hopefully had more to do with the injuries than anything else, but this season will show us a lot one way or another.

Hard to really say anything for sure until we see him play a full season, but all the reports out of training camp have me hoping for a huge year out of a healthy Moss.

If he is starting to decline, I wonder if we might try to sign him for another year or two at a reasonable rate. Even a declining Randy Moss is better than any other wide out on the roster, unless Tate or Price make a massive leap. I'd love to see that happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I thought Moss played pretty well last season. The "decline" hopefully had more to do with the injuries than anything else, but this season will show us a lot one way or another.

Hard to really say anything for sure until we see him play a full season, but all the reports out of training camp have me hoping for a huge year out of a healthy Moss.

If he is starting to decline, I wonder if we might try to sign him for another year or two at a reasonable rate. Even a declining Randy Moss is better than any other wide out on the roster, unless Tate or Price make a massive leap. I'd love to see that happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

IMO Randy will REFUSE to sign for anything less than 2 years...I don't think there is a chance in hell he signs for a year...anywhere.

IMO The next signing for Randy will most likely be with his final team before he retires in a couple of years down the road.

I don't see Randy playing until his talent totally diminishes like Jerry Rice did when he tried to sign with Denver at 42 years old,I see him hanging it up at about 36 and moving on to his racing and smoothie endeavors.

Last edited:
faceplant065qm.jpg

:rofl: Wonderfull!! :rofl:

Moss has EXACTLY one more year of usefulness left:

1 ~ Gronk + Hernandez will be fully developed as imposing Red Zone Targets.
2 ~ Welker will be more than 18 months removed ~ a year, hence ~ from his Injury, and the WORST likely scenario is that his effectiveness is reduced to a Troy Brown level for the next 10 years. Any complaints??
3 ~ Edelman will be entering his 3rd year, and is already RAPIDLY improving.
4 ~ Tate will, as well, be entering his 3rd year, and should EXPLODE.
5 ~ Price will be entering his 2nd year, and should produce a BIG spike in Productivity.

Really, to me, the only real question is: Is it realistic to think we can work a Sign + Trade for Randy...or will we have to settle for a 3rd Rounder Comp in 2012??

IMO Randy will REFUSE to sign for anything less than 2 years...I don't think there is a chance in hell he signs for a year...anywhere.

IMO The next signing for Randy will most likely be with his final team before he retires in a couple of years down the road.

I don't see Randy playing until his talent totally diminishes like Jerry Rice did when he tried to sign with Denver at 42 years old,I see him hanging it up at about 36 and moving on to his racing and smoothie endeavors.

I agree with you 100%. I doubt he'd be willing to sign for that. But I can hope. And I've been wrong many, many, many times before... :D

Now I think that Moss is very different from Brady. Five years is way too long as we don't know what the new CBA will bring.

We on this board have been very loose with Bob Kraft's money.

True, and a very good point!!

But allow me to add ~ to argue: a Sports Franchise ought to be one's REWARD for amassing a Fortune...not the MEANS to do so.

After I've amassed my Billions, and buy out Brother Kraft at Decade's End, I have NO intention of pinching pennies...beyond such measures as the Cap imposes, of course!! :D

I said it before, and I'll say it many times again:

1 ~ Moss was a wonderfull addition, and those of us who paid close attention to the MILLIONS he deliberately walked away from to come here had NO question about how he would perform, even though the vast majority DID.

2 ~ Alpha WideOuts do NOT work in favor of winning SUPER BOWLS, the Miners Epic Dynasty being the exception to EVERY rule.

3 ~ TrenchMen ~ The Front 8 ~ DO work in favor of winning Super Bowls.

4 ~ I say we let Randy rip it up ~ I feel a 14/1400 year coming on ~ and then get at LEAST a 3rd for'm...but preferably a Sign + Trade deal, via Franch Tag, if need be: I bet we could get a nice, juicy 1st Rounder for'm, in 8 months...perhaps MORE!!

Moss, straight off a 14/1400 year, to Washington for, say, the 16th Pick in the Draft??

PACKAGE the 2 2nd Rounders???

1 ~ OLB Robert Quinn
1 ~ DE Marcell Dareus
1 ~ C Mike Pouncey
1 ~ LT Gabriel Carimi

I'm just SAYING!! :D

I still wonder how good he will really be? We face some pretty good secondaries this season including the Jets twice,Baltimore,Indianapolis and Pittsburgh...

MUCH Respect to the Jets ~ I actually love Ryan's attitude, thank you very much!! ~ and the other Crews.

And GOD knows we're likely to sustain HEAVY burns as our highly talented young D makes its way...

But are you KIDDING me??? We've got:

1 ~ Randy Moss
2 ~ Wes Welker
3 ~ Julian Edelman
4 ~ Brandon Tate
5 ~ Taylor Price
6 ~ Rob Gronkowski
7 ~ Aaron Hernandez
8 ~ Algae Crumper
9 ~ Kevin Faulk

Revis is not a SAFETY.

He can only cover ONE man.

In a word: Those Cats are PHUCKED. :eek:

Off the Grid.... tildes... stop that ****. I don't know what the hell you're thinking.

And to count on unproven rookies, that's a no-no, no matter how promising they look. We'd have to wait this year to make the personnel decision on getting rid of Moss.

Off the Grid.... tildes... stop that ****. I don't know what the hell you're thinking.

And to count on unproven rookies, that's a no-no, no matter how promising they look. We'd have to wait this year to make the personnel decision on getting rid of Moss.

Nobody's talking about jettisoning Moss right now, Bro.

I was referring to after this season, 'bro'. As you said in;

Moss, straight off a 14/1400 year, to Washington for, say, the 16th Pick in the Draft??

Most WR prospects take a few years to translate to the pros, which is unless Tate/Price/Hernandez/Gronk pull a magic rabbit out of their collective rear-ends and become extremely effective receivers. So my statement was more or less trying to say that I expect Moss to be kept around for another 2-3 Years (counting this one, so 2 year extension). And I doubt Moss would fetch a pick in the top half of the first round anyway.

Last edited:
5 years? for a 33 yr old WR? Are you freaking high? In two years Wilfork will be able to run him down.

For those who are saying he's still playing at a high level for his age, keep this in mind. Age can catch up to you real quick. I think people should remember Corey Dillon. The Pats coughed up some money to keep him after his 1600 yrd season, only to find out he had hit the wall. Im ok with a 2 year deal, but 5 is reeeeeeally pushing it. You cant outrun CBs forever.

For those who are saying he's still playing at a high level for his age, keep this in mind. Age can catch up to you real quick. I think people should remember Corey Dillon. The Pats coughed up some money to keep him after his 1600 yrd season, only to find out he had hit the wall. Im ok with a 2 year deal, but 5 is reeeeeeally pushing it. You cant outrun CBs forever.
He doesn't need to outrun them if he does this. ;)

New+England+Patriots+v+Miami+Dolphins+5rL5LXrlfSRl.jpg

I'm less inclined to worry about one of the greatest receivers of all time provided he can still jump.

And to count on unproven rookies, that's a no-no, no matter how promising they look.

I was referring to after this season, 'bro'.

Well, then they wouldn't be Rookies, now, would they, BRO?? :eek:

1 ~ Welker: Vet
2 ~ Edelman: 3rd Year Vet
3 ~ Tate: 3rd Year Vet
4 ~ Price: 2nd Year Vet
5 ~ Hernandez: 2nd Year Vet
6 ~ Gronkowski: 2nd Year Vet
7 ~ Crumpler: Vet
8 ~ Faulk: Vet

So much for "unproven rookies", genius. :bricks:

Well, then they wouldn't be Rookies, now, would they, BRO?? :eek:

1 ~ Welker: Vet
2 ~ Edelman: 3rd Year Vet
3 ~ Tate: 3rd Year Vet
4 ~ Price: 2nd Year Vet
5 ~ Hernandez: 2nd Year Vet
6 ~ Gronkowski: 2nd Year Vet
7 ~ Crumpler: Vet
8 ~ Faulk: Vet

So much for "unproven rookies", genius. :bricks:

You don't get it. The curve for acclimation to an NFL scheme isn't 1 year, it can take players several years to become impact players, take Tedy Bruschi for example. To expect Tate in his third year to be our starting Y and Price in his second to be our starting X... yikes. I'd rather take Moss for a year or two more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes