PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason news I heard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats need someone to permanently step in for Seymour. Green may not be coming back. They also need oline and an OLB. I'll be furious if we don't get an OLB in this offseason again.

Pats need someone to permanently step in for Seymour. Green may not be coming back. They also need oline and an OLB. I'll be furious if we don't get an OLB in this offseason again.

Either a high draft pick, a trade with another team for one, or a high end free agent pick up. But, yes, I agree with you.

We NEED one player...
SUH!!!

I hope you're kidding............it would probably take our 2010 #1,2 of our 2010 #2's AND the 2011 #1,that we got from Oakland...............after that you would have to pay the highest rookie contract in NFL history.

still wanna do it?..................ummmmmmm...............NO!

There has been talk of the bills' player schoebel, the de who obliterates matt light regularly, will retire. Maybe the pats could trade a 4th or something for him (if we had one, we don't) if he were willing to not retire.

I think he would be good as a pass rusher. Or maybe they will non IR crable, who would be a heck of a pass rusher, even if he cna't do some other things.

There has been talk of the bills' player schoebel, the de who obliterates matt light regularly, will retire. Maybe the pats could trade a 4th or something for him (if we had one, we don't) if he were willing to not retire.

I think he would be good as a pass rusher. Or maybe they will non IR crable, who would be a heck of a pass rusher, even if he cna't do some other things.

Well, we could do that and watch him retire in training camp. It's not as if that hasn't happened before.

Spiller is going to be a great back in the NFL, he has amazing speed and will be deadly out of the backfield in the passing game. He has scored at least one touchdown in each of his last 14 games. Spiller will be gone by the time the Pats pick in the first rd comes.

No need to trade for Peppers, with him making the Pro-Bowl his salary this year jumps anopther 1.3 million meaning that IF the Panthers were to franchise tag him again next year, his salary would be OVER 21 Mil, and they just wouldn't/can't afford that. Peppers will be a Unrestricted Free Agent, sign him!

I think the Pats will more than likely stay put in the 1sr rd and grab the guard Ippiti from Idaho, he is a Mankins clone. Not a sexy pick, but it would make alot of sense.

Spiller is going to be a great back in the NFL, he has amazing speed and will be deadly out of the backfield in the passing game. He has scored at least one touchdown in each of his last 14 games. Spiller will be gone by the time the Pats pick in the first rd comes.

No need to trade for Peppers, with him making the Pro-Bowl his salary this year jumps anopther 1.3 million meaning that IF the Panthers were to franchise tag him again next year, his salary would be OVER 21 Mil, and they just wouldn't/can't afford that. Peppers will be a Unrestricted Free Agent, sign him!

I think the Pats will more than likely stay put in the 1sr rd and grab the guard Ippiti from Idaho, he is a Mankins clone. Not a sexy pick, but it would make alot of sense.

Spiller is the most dynamic back in the draft and would bring instant value as a kick returner. I think we are 31st in ave starting position, so Spiller will help that immediately.

Peppers makes no send to me whatsoever. Maybe if he were 26 or 27, I could see signing him, but not now.

When looking at potential O Line and D line candidates please remember to keep in mind what schemes the Pats run and what schemes the draftees school runs. With Idaho running a man blocking scheme, the chances of BB taking this kid early; is not likely.

Sign Wilfork
Sign Mankins
Trade/Release Thomas
Let Watson go

2010 NFL draft needs to focus on DL & OL.

Good Prospects:

Brandon Spikes, ILB
Brandon Graham, DE
Jerry Hughes, DE
Arthur Jones, DT
Von Miller, DE/OLB
Mike Iupati, OT/OG

CJ Spiller, RB
Jermaine Gresham, TE
Jonathan Dwyer, RB

I agree that the draft needs to focus on the DL and the OL. It would therefore make sense to re-sign Watson and keep Thomas.

Are you willing to pay $10M a year for Wilfork. $11M? The question is whether we would be willing to sign what another team might offer him.

Sign Wilfork
Sign Mankins
Trade/Release Thomas
Let Watson go

2010 NFL draft needs to focus on DL & OL.

Good Prospects:

Brandon Spikes, ILB
Brandon Graham, DE
Jerry Hughes, DE
Arthur Jones, DT
Von Miller, DE/OLB
Mike Iupati, OT/OG

CJ Spiller, RB
Jermaine Gresham, TE
Jonathan Dwyer, RB

O-line and D-line have needs

O-line needs to be able to gain 1 yard. 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1 should be running downs and should be automatic. We need another stud tackle to pair with Vollmer. Light will have to compete for a spot depending on if the rookie is ready to go.

We also could use an upgrade at Center and Right Guard. Koppen can't control the big nose guards in this conference, especially Jenkins and Ngata. Neal is just old. If Vollmer stays at RT, then a run blocking right guard could vastly improve our running game.

The defensive line needs a RDE if they plan to continue with the 3-4, which could be Wilfork. I liked Wilfork out there against the Dolphins. Someone has to match up with the big left tackles in this league and Wilfork can set that edge. Wright, Pryor, Brace, and Richard are all prospects or reserves. Casey Hamptom would be a good FA signing to play the nose and kick Vince out to RDE.

We also need pass rushers. Crable has the height but he obviously lacks durability. I am not sure about his speed because I've never seen him play. Adalius Thomas should be cut loose. Derrick Burgess may or may not have a future with the Patriots, but if we can get some younger talent or better veterans I am all for it.

I agree that the draft needs to focus on the DL and the OL. It would therefore make sense to re-sign Watson and keep Thomas.

Are you willing to pay $10M a year for Wilfork. $11M? The question is whether we would be willing to sign what another team might offer him.

You can franchise Wilfork and pay less than that.

Re: OT: Offseason news I heard...

remember Stephen Jackson was suppose to go high and fell to 22 a few years back
I'd swap a number one and a player (Kaczur? We still have LeVoir BB seems high on) for Jackson. Dillon was a little older and they still gave a 2 to Cincy. Corey was a bargain for his return. Jackson's only 27. Ist round seem to not have the value for the Pats than to other NFL teams and Jackson has BB type experience. He would be a supplement rather than expected to carry the franchise like he does now. The Rams have way too many needs.

Although last years draft was a success, a few I had hoped them go for (you call them "binkies") seem to have blossomed.

Would you do this now in retrospect? Take Brace (even though he was #40 and Butler #41)and 3rd rounder Tate and swap them back even for Clay Matthews from the Packers trade. Swap Ohmberger(???????) for Austin Collie (huge Pats gaff!!) . My way you would have solved #3 WR and starting OLB (with ten sacks)? Instead we have a DL with an "INC" (he could be stil O.K. but it looks like Prior was the better pick) , a "what were they thinking" OG who probably doesn't make the team in 2010, and finally a pot head WR with injuries.
It just goes to show that we as fans are capable of understanding the Draft even if we don't have all of the information that each Team gets. It shows that the Draft is a very incomplete science and the instincts of the fans and the knowledge available to us today by net and media makes the picks we would choose very rational and in some cases better.
Someone should make a Thread over the last three or four years in the Draft with what our favorite picks (Binkies) were (not management) and see how much better the 2009 Pats could have been.
DW Toys

I'd swap a number one and a player (Kaczur? We still have LeVoir BB seems high on) for Jackson. Dillon was a little older and they still gave a 2 to Cincy. Corey was a bargain for his return. Jackson's only 27. Ist round seem to not have the value for the Pats than to other NFL teams and Jackson has BB type experience. He would be a supplement rather than expected to carry the franchise like he does now. The Rams have way too many needs.

In other threads, I've posted what SJ has on the reminder of his deal. Its around $5.5m a yr which for a pro-bowl 1400yd runner seems pretty good value. My only question is the Rams willingness to deal their best player and most recognizable face.There is also a possibility that they may move. If they move, they may very well want to keep their franchise player. I don'tknow what their cap situation is. Regardless, if there is no revenue sharing, a small-market team may need to pinch pennies...a team like the Rams.

With Morris, Taylor and Faulk being the wrong side of 30, it may make sense. Maroney is from St. Louis and has manageable contract. Maybe if St. L wants him they can make him part of the deal. No question SJ or LoMo is a HUGE upgrade.

Although last years draft was a success, a few I had hoped them go for (you call them "binkies") seem to have blossomed.

Would you do this now in retrospect? Take Brace (even though he was #40 and Butler #41)and 3rd rounder Tate and swap them back even for Clay Matthews from the Packers trade. Swap Ohmberger(???????) for Austin Collie (huge Pats gaff!!) . My way you would have solved #3 WR and starting OLB (with ten sacks)? Instead we have a DL with an "INC" (he could be stil O.K. but it looks like Prior was the better pick) , a "what were they thinking" OG who probably doesn't make the team in 2010, and finally a pot head WR with injuries.
It just goes to show that we as fans are capable of understanding the Draft even if we don't have all of the information that each Team gets. It shows that the Draft is a very incomplete science and the instincts of the fans and the knowledge available to us today by net and media makes the picks we would choose very rational and in some cases better.
Someone should make a Thread over the last three or four years in the Draft with what our favorite picks (Binkies) were (not management) and see how much better the 2009 Pats could have been.
DW Toys

Judging drafts is hard. All in hindsight. Pats have done well and not done so well. IMO Gotta see how the picks play and their contributions over a couple of years to see. My impression is that over the years the Pats have done pretty well with respect to the rest of the NFL..

Last edited:

DW Toys

I wouldn't give a 1st for Jackson. I loved him coming out in 2004 (he went #24, BTW, not 22), but now he has a lot of mileage on him in spite of being only 27, and his running style takes a pounding. The shelf life of RB's is not that long.

I'm perfectly happy with the trade back from 26 to 41. Clay Matthews looks like a heck of a player, but I really don't think he's a great schematic fit for the Pats, who use their LB's differently than Dom Capers' GB scheme does. I doubt Matthews would have 10 sacks for us. And I love the value we basically got from the trade (Butler, who was a steal at 41, Tate, who could be a steal, and a 2010 2nd round pick). I'm not particularly thrilled with Chung at #34 and particularly Brace at #40 last year right now, and I would have loved a couple of LB's instead (Maualuga and Barwin would have been nice), but it's too early to make a call.

I wouldn't give a 1st for Jackson. I loved him coming out in 2004 (he went #24, BTW, not 22), but now he has a lot of mileage on him in spite of being only 27, and his running style takes a pounding. The shelf life of RB's is not that long.

I don't disagree. A #1 is rich. Maybe a 2nd and something else. I'm sure the Rams would want a #1 and players perhaps. He is signed for another two years for reasonable money. If he wants to renego then Pats need to thing long and hard about that one.

I'd love to see him in that backfield though....:D

Last edited:
I could see them being interested in Gresham, the TE from OK who is injured now. He's all pro talent, but been injured for most of the year.

I don't know about a pass rusher, someone said van Miller, or whatever but he's only 235 pounds or so. Burgess size and he's pretty ineffective.

Micah Johnson or Brandon Spikes (I know he doen't always take on blockers but he could probably learn, he has the size and strength). Spikes is pretty good at rushing the passer too. Those guys aren't first round picks though.

I don't know about Spiller, the pats OL is so weak at blocking up the middle, what is a 195 pound guy going to do with no holes at all?

I really hope that we get Vincent Jackson or we draft a receiver, CJ Spiller would bring a home run threat on the ground but Jackson is a great redzone target. I also hope that we target oline and Dline in the second as oposed to the first, I have my heart set on a pass rushing lb or an ILB. Thanks for the info.

pretty good at rushing the passer too. Those guys aren't first round picks though.

I don't know about Spiller, the pats OL is so weak at blocking up the middle, what is a 195 pound guy going to do with no holes at all?

Spiller is built a lot more like Barry Sanders than Reggie Bush. I don't think Durability will be an issue, assuming he's used like he was in college - 15-20 touches, mostly outside, plus KO returns. He was the best player on the field in every game he played in this year. He would be a great pick but I expect him to go top 15.

Spiller is built a lot more like Barry Sanders than Reggie Bush. I don't think Durability will be an issue, assuming he's used like he was in college - 15-20 touches, mostly outside, plus KO returns. He was the best player on the field in every game he played in this year. He would be a great pick but I expect him to go top 15.

BB likes his 15-20 carry guys 215lbs or over. Spiller is well south of that.

Spiller is the most dynamic back in the draft and would bring instant value as a kick returner. I think we are 31st in ave starting position, so Spiller will help that immediately.

Peppers makes no send to me whatsoever. Maybe if he were 26 or 27, I could see signing him, but not now.

When looking at potential O Line and D line candidates please remember to keep in mind what schemes the Pats run and what schemes the draftees school runs. With Idaho running a man blocking scheme, the chances of BB taking this kid early; is not likely.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Spiller, I just don't think that he is gonig to be around when the Pats pick (and I don't see them trading up for him either). The Pats need to do something about kickoff and punt returns because I can not even remember the last time the returned a kickoff past the 30 yard line (Ellis we mis you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference