PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason news I heard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Springs and Bodden played better than Hobbs. Did his absence hurt the return game? Sure, but not in the secondary. This secondary would have looked better with a decent pass rush. Butler, Springs and Bodden are all better CBs than Hobbs, who is no better than a nickel.

I don't think that Butler has been better in 2009 than Hobbs would have been expected to be as a nickel.

Both Springs and Bodden played better than Hobbs. Did his absence hurt the return game? Sure, but not in the secondary. This secondary would have looked better with a decent pass rush. Butler, Springs and Bodden are all better CBs than Hobbs, who is no better than a nickel.

I don't think that Butler has been better in 2009 than Hobbs would have been expected to be as a nickel.

I agree, but I feel that Butler has much greater upside. Actually, I still feel that way about Wilhite, too, whose deficiencies I think are correctable. A better pass rush and this is really a very nice secondary.

Vincent Jackson is a freakin beast! I would kill to have him.

Vincent Jackson is a freakin beast! I would kill to have him.

Vincent Jackson is an RFA though. Do you give up a 1st round pick and a big enough contract to make sure the Chargers don't match?

Springs was a healthy scratch for many games. Pretending he played better than Hobbs is absurd. Hobbs and Bodden would have been the team's starting corners.

Springs was a healthy scratch for many games. Pretending he played better than Hobbs is absurd. Hobbs and Bodden would have been the team's starting corners.

He started 8 games. BB used a rotation at LCB with Wilhite and Butler getting playing time. Him sitting was more about numbers than anything else, allowing the young guys some playing time. Obviously, most of us were expecting more of Springs than we recieved. To state that Hobbs is more than a serviceable nickel back is more absurd.

He started 8 games. BB used a rotation at LCB with Wilhite and Butler getting playing time. Him sitting was more about numbers than anything else, allowing the young guys some playing time. Obviously, most of us were expecting more of Springs than we recieved. To state that Hobbs is more than a serviceable nickel back is more absurd.

Hobbs was the starting cornerback on a 16-0 team. He became the starting cornerback for the Patriots in his rookie season, and remained the starter until he was traded to the Eagles after the 2008 season. Your evaluation of Hobbs is ridiculous.

Then again, that's par for the course around here since February 3, 2008.

Hobbs was the starting cornerback on a 16-0 team. He became the starting cornerback for the Patriots in his rookie season, and remained the starter until he was traded to the Eagles after the 2008 season. Your evaluation of Hobbs is ridiculous.

Then again, that's par for the course around here since February 3, 2008.

Ah yes, let's bring out the 16-0 team that was largely 16-0 due to the defense. Come on Deus, it was the record setting offense that help that team get to 16-0. Funny, they wound up 18-1. I vaguely recall a play late in that last game where he was somewhat involved :rolleyes:

Ah yes, let's bring out the 16-0 team that was largely 16-0 due to the defense. Come on Deus, it was the record setting offense that help that team get to 16-0. Funny, they wound up 18-1. I vaguely recall a play late in that last game where he was somewhat involved :rolleyes:

So we should ignore all his years of starting for the team in order to make your ridiculous point just because he was beaten in a one-on-one coverage by one of the best receivers in the NFL when the Patriots ran a sellout blitz and failed to get to the quarterback?

Seriously?

Some of you people have completely lost your minds.

LMAO Deus is a funny characcter

So we should ignore all his years of starting for the team in order to make your ridiculous point just because he was beaten in a one-on-one coverage by one of the best receivers in the NFL when the Patriots ran a sellout blitz and failed to get to the quarterback?

Seriously?

Some of you people have completely lost your minds.

No, that is not what I said. That was one example. There were a ton of instances where he struggled, particularly against taller receivers. Not to mention the 10 yard cushion he granted opposing WRs constantly. I know, I know, it was scheme. Sure, that is the easy cop out. And when he was beaten deep, it was the safety's fault. We've all heard it from you in the past.

Here are the two things that speaks volumes about his talent as a corner. 1. He was traded for virtually nothing 2. He went from a starter "on a 16-0 team" to a team where he was a bit player. Hobbit is no more than an undersized average CB that had no business being more than a nickel. But of course, you are a better talent evaluator than BB or the Eagles coaching staff.

Last edited:
The same guy who always hooks me up with info inside the stadium let me know a few things he's found out.

- said the patriots have Vincent Jackson as their highest rated WR just as a fyi nothing about actually getting him. (Highest rated wr on another team)
- patriots want to focus draft on the lines o line and d line.
- have thought about using 1st round pick to trade for someone to get a good pass rusher. I asked about peppers only to be told highly doubtful.
- want to keep core players, did not say who specifically but feels the team would like to get CJ Spiller if they had a shot.

Just thought it was good food for thought
Well the keeping core players part came true. Hopefully the "draft on the lines" point is right too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes