PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason news I heard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Re: OT: Offseason news I heard...

Although I posted a lot of NEInsider's posts from ESPN on this site. I always doubted he was real. Looking at this post, here are some gems he predicted:

- "This is hands down the deepest and potentially most physically gifted set of DB's we have ever had" - Neither was las year's set of DBs the deepest or most talented the Pats had ever had.

- (Fenandor)"Bryant is an excellent corner and will thrive here" - Not an excellent CB nor did he thrive with the Pats nor make the final 53 man roster cut

- "With Bruischi, Seau, Hobson, Woods, and Mayo we are set at ILB. I would not be surprised to see a constant rotation of the four inside until Mayo certainly takes over by mid-season if not in training camp. keep an eye on Hobson. he might be the biggest surprise pickup and a really good kid. " - Woods never played a down as an ILB nor took reps in the preseason. Hobson quickly fell down the dept chart in the opening weeks of camp. He was cut before the final 53 man cutdown.

- "Film does not do O'Connell justice. He is raw for lack of coaching but lord does he have a big-time gun and is extremely coachable. A few coaching tips and his accuracy improved instantly." - I gotta see the film on O'Connell if they didn't do him justice. It must be the funniest thing ever. I'm sure he was cut after one season by the Pats because he was too coachable.

Maybe he really is an insider and he got this information from scouts. If he is and did, I worry about this team.

Last edited:

Maybe he really is an insider and he got this information from scouts. If he is and did, I worry about this team.
Or more likely a silly person sprouting crap for attention. Most people that are in the know normally keep sensitive information to themselves. Blabber mouth employees have a way of finding the door.. fast.

I would not be surprised to see a deal made for a younger vet rusher. That being said, which of the top rushers is available? Also, when looking at the stas, notice how TBC's stats are equal to and betetr than Robert Mathis. This is without the benefit of playing with Freeney.

Sack stas link: NFL - Statistics by Category - Yahoo! Sports

In regards to Spiller...he is a machine. He would be a great addition to this team. A stronger focus on the run game will make Brady better and increase his longevity.

The oline and Dline need talent and this draft is loaded with talent. There will be some quality Dlineman available in rounds 1-3.

Great topic, I love reading and discussing this stuff.

Or more likely a silly person sprouting crap for attention. Most people that are in the know normally keep sensitive information to themselves. Blabber mouth employees have a way of finding the door.. fast.

I have little doubt it is a BS post, but just throwing the theory out there. In hindsight, much of the information is way off.

I have little doubt it is a BS post, but just throwing the theory out there. In hindsight, much of the information is way off.
Yeah I agree. My reasoning is I doubt the Patriots scouts could be that crap in their assessment of players. I would share your concern if true though.

The same guy who always hooks me up with info inside the stadium let me know a few things he's found out.

- said the patriots have Vincent Jackson as their highest rated WR just as a fyi nothing about actually getting him. (Highest rated wr on another team)
- patriots want to focus draft on the lines o line and d line.
- have thought about using 1st round pick to trade for someone to get a good pass rusher. I asked about peppers only to be told highly doubtful.
- want to keep core players, did not say who specifically but feels the team would like to get CJ Spiller if they had a shot.

Just thought it was good food for thought

Let me just say that I too have the same source as you and he has been pretty reliable, in fact I talked to him the other day at Gillette I was in the Crapper and he was in the adjacent one. In fact he thought I was you and kept tapping his foot and clearing his throat. When I finally came out he looked a little embarrassed. But then he told me that the Pats would probably draft a TE in the second round. Great guy kinda odd though

hopefully the "core" means mankins vince and ghost. Interesting with the spiller mention tho. Running back isn't that high on my priorities as we have gotten on ok with our core but hey... i don't get paid for my opinion they do.

Assuming CBA does not get ratified, this makes Jackson a RFA (5 years), but then he has great chemistry with Rivers so I see him at the top of the Chargers list of players to retain at the end of this season.
If there is a new CBA in place, the Chargers also have to make a decision on Marcus McNeil. Do they franchise the WR or the T. It wouldn't surprise me if they franchise Jackson because good WR's don't come around very often with the Chargers.

However, If I'm the Pats, I go hard after Vincent Jackson if a new CBA is in place. That guy is a stud!

Last edited:

Although I posted a lot of NEInsider's posts from ESPN on this site. I always doubted he was real. ... Maybe he really is an insider and he got this information from scouts. If he is and did, I worry about this team.

Based on his predictions and ability to judge talent, he sounds a lot like Matt Millen. :singing:

For those of you in the know, how high do you think CJ Spiller will go in the draft? I know he is the projected no. 1 RB in the draft.

Actually, I think Jahvid Best is touted more ast the no. 1 RB then CJ Spiller, but that is subjective.

CJ Spiller will probably go in the 10-20 range because of the needs for franchise QBs, defensive stars, and O-lineman. He is like Jamaal Charles. Charles has great vision, patience in finding holes, extremely good catching out of the backfield. I see that in Spiller.

If any of that is right i hope its the draft focus on the lines

We need one if not two 1st day DE/OLB and a C/RG

I personally feel that BB is targeting a 5'9" cornerback and a tight end in thedraft. Just a gut feeling...

:eek::eek::eek:
Let me just say that I too have the same source as you and he has been pretty reliable, in fact I talked to him the other day at Gillette I was in the Crapper and he was in the adjacent one. In fact he thought I was you and kept tapping his foot and clearing his throat. When I finally came out he looked a little embarrassed. But then he told me that the Pats would probably draft a TE in the second round. Great guy kinda odd though

There is no denying spiller's speed, but i am not impressed with the way he runs at all. I think he hits the hole way too slow. I hope the pats can somehow get jahvid best though. He reminds me of a more elusive thomas jones. I compare best to jones in the way that he hits the hole with ridiculous speed and shows the ability to run it between the tackles to a certain degree.

I think we all hope this happens. As Brady gets older it's important he is protected better. And the DL clearly needs help especially if Vince leaves.
Last years draft, we took 3 O-Linemen and 3 D-Linemen. We picked up and traded for some D-Linemen/hybrids as well.

I think we're fine on the D-Line.

Wilfork is going nowhere. He'll be franchised.

Will we keep Jarvis Green?

Anyone know if he still posts these days?[/QUOTE]

in all fairness, he predicted the chad jackson and guttierez cut a few hours before it was announced......and this was as people thought Gutz was taking over for Cassel at the 2 spot and CJack was ready to break out for a thousand yard season in his de facto 2nd yr.

Last edited:
We NEED one player...
SUH!!!

Suh has had a very good year, but I wouldn't give up what it would take to land him. Seems like a good kid with some great talent, but it's one thing to be tossing and overpowering college offensive lineman as opposed to tossing NFL OL. I'm not denying his talent, but I think some of this talk about him being the best defensive prospect of the last decade is a bit premature. In the NFL, he's not going to be able to just toss guys aside like he has been able to do in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots