PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 1/10/2011 Rex Ryan Quotes/Media Thread (merged 4x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rex Ryan cant help himself or is he playing mind games?

I think the biggest reason for this is that he prefers to be the lightning rod for his team. He purposely creates a distraction so that he is the center of the stories and attention while the players go about their work.

It doesn't hurt that he's throwing support behind his team and trying to boost their confidence. And then there is the possibility that a Pats player could lose focus over Rex's comments.

Sometimes i think he is trying a stratagey that some fighters use. Anger your opponent so he loses his cool and knock them off their game. Ali was great at it If thats what hes trying to do i don't think BB and TB are going to fall for it.

Of all the people to try to anger, Bill Belichick. The guy has the temperament of one of those British Buckingham Palace Guards with their big bearskin hats. Those guys take a lot of abuse without blinking an eye.

Parcells was famous for drawing attention to himself prior to a big game. The thing is that Tuna never came close to some of the outlandish things Rex says. he would just sit there and talk or maybe verball spar with a reporter or even tell jokes.

I do think that strategy is what noodles around in Rex's brain before he says the things he does. He just goes too far with it.

Of all the people to try to anger, Bill Belichick. The guy has the temperament of one of those British Buckingham Palace Guards with their big bearskin hats. Those guys take a lot of abuse without blinking an eye.
And serve revenge cold.

Rex has no filter between his mouth and his brain.....

Whatever he thinks just comes out....

Not a good trait to have unless you really don't care what you say....

I think maybe the blue collar NYJ fans relate to him.....

After 40 frustrating years, unless he produces something besides hot air, the fans may get sick of him......but hey, the Jets are in the playoffs 2 years running, so that must count for something with the faithful gang green fans.:eek:

Rex Ryan on Bill Belichick: 'If he slips at all, we're going to beat him.' | New York Daily News

here is the full text

Rex Ryan on Bill Belichick: 'If he slips at all, we're going to beat him.'
BY MANISH MEHTA

Here we go again.

A week after Rex Ryan took on Peyton Manning, the Jets’ brash coach said the divisional playoff showdown with the Patriots on Sunday will be personal against Bill Belichick.

"This week, this is about Bill Belichick vs. Rex Ryan,” Ryan said this morning. “There’s no question. It's personal."

Ryan tried to deflect all the pressure away from his players a month after the Jets’ embarrassing 45-3 primetime loss to their AFC East rivals in Week 13.

“When you look at it, both teams are very even,” Ryan said. “When you look at the players, our teams are solid across the board. When you look at the assistant coaches, we’re on level ground. So this is going to be about me raising my level against Bill Belichick. I recognize he’s the best. But I’m just trying to be the best on Sunday. And I plan on being the best coach on Sunday.”

“He’s going to going to get everything I have on Sunday,” Ryan added. “If he slips at all, we’re going to beat him.”

Ryan’s strategy to put it all on him was entertaining (and predictable).

“I knew I was outcoached in that game,” Ryan said. “I think the pressure should come on me. I’m the guy that said that we’d be in this position again…. I’m the guy that believes we’ll beat them. So it comes down on me. Nobody else.”

“He’ll go down in history as maybe the greatest football coach in the history of this game or close to it," Ryan said. “He was at that level that week. I was not.”

Ryan admitted that his game plan in Week 13 "wasn't realistic" and too complicated. “When we had to make the adjustments, we couldn’t execute them,” Ryan said. “It really came down to coaching more than playing. Belichick was that much better than I was that game.”

"There’s chess matches involved every week,” Ryan added. “It was checkmate. He definitely outcoached me."

To that end, Ryan said he’ll simplify the plan this time. But he promised "a ridiculous amount of preparation on our part" against Patriots this week.

More nuggets from Ryan:

On taking a shot at Brady by saying that Manning studies more: “That wasn’t my intent,” Ryan said. “I recognize the guy’s an amazing quarterback. Everybody knows how he’s studies. But there’s only one Peyton Manning as far as preparation.”

On Brady pointing to Jets sidelines after scores: “He took a shot at me by his antics on the field.... Brady being Brady.”

On being a better coach than Belichick: "I'm not there yet. But I'm going to be Sunday.”

On how often he’ll watches the tape of MNF loss: “Every day.”

On his team’s confidence level: “We just beat Peyton Manning at Indy. This team’s won three road playoff games in two years. Hey, if we win this one, we’ll be right back to where we always are: Same Ol’ Jets, right back in the AFC Championship game.”

On if he thinks the Pats ran up score last time: "Yeah, just like we would do if we’re ever in that situation. We tried to do the same thing. It’s our job to stop them. What are they supposed to do? Just kneel on it when there’s 10 minutes to go in the game?”

On What he said to Belichick after the game: "I also told Belichick after the game, ‘We'll see you in Round 3’.... He looked at me."

On the NY-Boston rivalry: "Let's face it: New York's New York. Everybody wants to beat the best.”

Everyone chill!

Ryan is doing what he thinks will help his team win.

Will it? Doubt it, wrong team to try to play mind games against.

Pats run like cyborgs, at best as someone stated above, this stuff will make some of the players giggle. Cannot see Belichick giving a toss either way.

Rexy just trying to find any edge he can. Talkers gotta talk eh?

Yes, just keep it coming.

Ryan trying to play mind games with Belichick is laughable. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight (or in this case a thermonuclear war).

He can't help himself, really that what it is, listen to the last couple of pressers, it's him against Peyton, personal, no mention of his team just him, and after they/he beat the colts it was "I finally beat Peyton Manning, again, no mention of his team. And he's doing it again with BB, "I. ME, MINE,"
Rex, go stuff your pie hole with a twinky!
He hasn't matured as an adult yet

Last edited:

Do you really think Ryan can stop himself??? Have you seen him recently? :rocker:

I love it..

Patriots coach Bill Belichick delivered a witty response to Jets coach Rex Ryan's remarks. Ryan had said that Sunday's playoff game is personal between him and Belichick.

"I might have a little quickness on him, he's probably got a little more strength and power on me," Belichick said Monday on a conference call. "I don't think you'll see either of us out there making any blocks, or tackles, or runs throws or catches. At least you won't see me doing that. It's probably a good thing for our team."

There's no sense getting riled up over the comments. At this point, the guy clearly has a strategy. He's being deliberately provocative. This is not Rex "speaking his mind." This is a guy who has gone all in with his strategy of trying to be antagonistic in the press and trying to tweak the Patriots, Brady and Belichick in an attempt to get under their skin.

Will it work? History indicates no. Then again, they lost their last game to the Patriots 45-3, so what does he have to lose? Like it or not, Ryan does seem to have his finger on the pulse of what works with and for his team. He's 3-1 in the playoffs in one plus seasons, all on the road. And he's also largely teflon -- tripgate, footgate, it just makes him stronger. I thought his bluster during las year's playoffs had to be counterproductive, but it wasn't. He's clearly decided that trying to get his guys to play up to the level he sets for them outweighs any perception that it will fire up the other team.

He's doing it deliberately. Getting worked up about is like getting worked up about who wins or loses in pro wrestling. You're being put on. Getting too emotionally tied up in what Rex says is a losing game. It's the mental equivalent of wrestling with a pig -- the pig loves it and you get filthy. If the Jets win on Sunday, it will make you even more miserable. If the Patriots win, it's not going to change Ryan one bit or shut him up next time. If anything, it will just make him more outrageous.

I think you're giving the guy a little too much credit. Sure some of it is strategy, but I honestly believe he can't keep his fat trap shut for more than 3 seconds. What do you expect growing up with Buddy Ryan as your father. I can't imagine any of his parents ever warned Rexy to think before he speaks. His upbringing was learning to speak your mind no matter what even if what you're saying is plain stupid. Guys like him burn bright for about 2 seconds then either flicker out or are violently extinguished by someone that's sick of you. His shelf life is very short in NY.

Last edited:
He was talking the same trash last game, and it was all the more satisfying when we punched the Jets in the mouth on the field, without mercy.

When you win, talk little, when you lose, talk even less.

Look, this is the same guy who got caught sniffing his wife's feet on the internet, and had a profile talking about his love of "nipple torture" and "watching his wife take a big one in all 3 holes". He did this while knowing he is a public figure under media scrutiny. Outside of football, the man is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He could be a defensive genius, he certainly is one of the better defensive minds in the game right now. But when it comes to common sense and intelligence, I don't think he has much of it.

So no, I don't think he's playing games, he just is who he is.

Answering the original question, both. He is a sadist, he liked to dominate other people, he has a damaged frontal cortex he has no inhibition. If he wants to hire a crack head to suck his wife's feet, that's what he's going to do. If he wants to take a dump on her, that's what he'll do, and post about it on the internet.

If he weren't from football, he would be a cop, a really annoying, power-hungry cop. Or in jail.

His strategy works: his guys respond to it. The problem is, so does everyone else in the NFL. Belichick is the master of information distribution: he will package the Rex Ryan stuff in a way that will get our guys up

I was worried the Pats wouldn't be motivated to play this weekend. But there is no chance now. Brady has a chip on his shoulder. Belichick does not want another one and done like last year, and now Ryan has made it personal.

Really, Rex? You want to make Belichick even more motivated to beat you? Really?

F Rex Ryan and the Jets. God I hope we beat them.

I went to the 45-3 game, flew up from North Carolina. I remember each time we scored the electrical charge that I felt. Every stop, interception. It was awesome, I was going crazy in the stands screaming.

This time it'll have to be from home, but I would not complain one bit if it were another blowout, though I don't expect it (watched the MNF game again, and the Jets blew it early with horrible coaching, lots of drops from the WRs, and their defense had no idea how to deal with our new offense: it shouldn't be quite so one-sided this time).

I wish the Colts had won yesterday, though. I hate the freaking Jets.

Last edited:

Ryan is a pathological babbler. Contrast what he said yesterday "I beat Payton Manning" to what Belichick said after the Miami game (paraphrased) "Players make the plays. I don't pass, block or make tackles".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe