PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.K. Fellow Members...Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 4 years of HS football. TE/DE. Caught a 2 pt conversion once but it was a wishbone O so all we did was block. Still hold the school record for personal fouls.

Theres a football team right be me but I've trimmed down alot for "soccer" so I'd be ineffective unless I put the muscle I used to carry back on. About 5 years ago I would have fancied myself as a DE or OLB had I wanted to play.

I wouldn't worry about that so much; amateur Football over here attracts all shapes and sizes. I think willingness is more important.

Personally, I have never played and at 36 I suspect it's too late. I have never been fit or aggressive enough.

It's funny that the Brit on the thread has more experience than most of the Americans.

I played Pop Warner, Freshman, JV and Varsity HS Football. I played as a freshman at Syracuse. This was in the early 80s. George O'Leary was my position Coach at DT. I was a 240 lb DT and got squashed regularly. There were a few NFLers from that team, even though we stunk. In practice I used to go up against a kid named Gerry Feehery at C who used to kick my butt every day, although he was no bigger than me. He played at Philly and KC. I soon saw the writing on the wall and left FB behind to get my degree. I don't regret it, except when I feel the artthritis in my neck. That was a very long time ago. Now I'm in my mid forties and weigh a paltry 210.

Played 2 years Pop Warner, 2 years J. High and Freshman HS before I decided girls and partying were more fun (5-9 grades). Played RB and ILB. Won championships 6,7 and 8th grade. Scored a 5 or 6 TDs as a RB and a couple 2 pt. converts.

Worst injury was actually baseball when I broke my toe knocking mud of my cleats with my bat (duh!). Was a better baseball player and made all-star teams. We made it to Pony League (13 yr. old) state championship in NH but lost in final.

When I was 7-12 my main sport was judo and was NH state champ for 2 years straight. The only guy in my weight class i couldn't beat was the Mass state champ. Squared of 3 times with him and lost all 3.

I don't feel so bad about that now since he won bronze medals at the '96 and '04 olympics. His name was Jimmy Pedro and fought out of Somerville.

Jimmy Pedro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Played 10 years as a legendary WR in our neighborhood street touch football league ... :woot:... :lol2: ... :woot:

Another question!

Anyone have any nasty injuries they sustained while playing football?

For me i had:

-Turf Toe
-1 Concussion (Knocked Out)
-1 Stinger (these are HORRIBLE)
-A pretty nasty pulled Heel
-Ruptured Spleen (AKA the big injury)

Not too many injuries playing touch football obviously (besides some sprained fingers), but I have played competitive soccer all my life and had a few there:

sprained ankles (about 20 times)
broken ankle
concussion
torn groin and sports hernia
dislocated elbow (very painful)

Luckily, no serious knee injuries *knock on wood*

Last edited:
Played HS grades 10-12, OL/DL but mostly OL, JV 10-11 mostly at T, and was the backup OL for all positions but Center (starting guard rotated to C and I took his spot if the C went down) as a senior. Got more pt than a lot of the starters as we had some "entitlement" players who played center and guard at 160lbs and didn't last long in many games. Rarely saw the field on D.

Played in the mid 70's for Klein HS in Texas, and started at left CB. We were 3-7, and the highlight of the season was beating #1 ranked Sterling 15-14. I had 2 picks (one for a 31 yd TD) on the year. We had a future Washington Redskin OL Melvin Jones on our team, and I played against Cody Riesen who went on to have a great career with the Browns at OT. He pulverized me when they pulled him on sweeps. We lost that one 20-7. Overall it was a great experience and I still heve some great memories about the games and my teammates.

Was starting QB /starting cornerback for the Patriots my last 2 years of football. We took 2nd place in my division both years. (12/13 year old pee wee football)

My claim to faim in pee wee was catching 2 touchdowns and intercepting 3 passes in the same game. I used to pitch to the half back and run a fly pattern right up the middle of the field. I would rarely get covered.

In high school I could have started on the varsity team but chose to(DONT LAUGH) to be the drum major of the marching band. (ok you can laugh now)

I played varsity basketball and track instead in high school.

My experience playing for the Patriots on the pee wee level is why I ended up being a Patriots season ticket holder in NY Jet territory.

Another question!

Anyone have any nasty injuries they sustained while playing football?

For me i had:

-Turf Toe
-1 Concussion (Knocked Out)
-1 Stinger (these are HORRIBLE)
-A pretty nasty pulled Heel
-Ruptured Spleen (AKA the big injury)

I was the only one on my entire team not to get injured in one way or anther during the season (all minor - twisted ankles, bent fingers, etc) not long after one my team mates pointed this out at our post season party, I cut myself on the broken glass from a beer bottle someone accidentally dropped. Does that count?

Ok, I'll throw mine out:

Played RG & NT in high school, was named all-conference three times.

Played one year in college, started as a freshman, then decide to retire after one year. I had to have knee surgery in the off season (nothing too serious) and just decided that I wasn't going to the NFL so I might as well just focus on academics.

My claim to fame is that I was "leading the nation" in sacks at one point. I say that in quotes because we played at noon the first week of the season and on the first play of the game I had a sack, so my teammates and I used to joke about that.

Played DLine in highschool. Won a few games but high school football in Andover MA isnt really that big a deal.

Played for Boston Latin one year.Transfered to Boston English for 2 years.Won city
league title in 1956.Played def end and guard.Played college ball locally for 3 years
I don`t want to say with who . Had tryout with pats in 1960 .Never got out of training
camp.Thats where pats 60 comes from.

Played for Boston Latin one year.Transfered to Boston English for 2 years.Won city
league title in 1956.Played def end and guard.Played college ball locally for 3 years
I don`t want to say with who . Had tryout with pats in 1960 .Never got out of training

Awesome Stuff Pats60. I can only dream of having had a try out with the Pats.

Put on pads for one game in the eighth grade. Straightarmed another kid, knocked him cold and wasn't allowed back in. End of my football career.

played football from little league (4th gradej) all thru high school. OL, DL, LB. Played college intermural - LB and TE played for a couple of base teams in air force - LB and TE

I played Freshman football and thats it.

I played back up LG (well any Oline) and back up NT

I got one or two tackles (I sucked at De)

and only really got play once or twice on the line but we drove the ball and I felt like I was better at that.

I played Hockey mostly and didn't really feel like being in back to back highschool leagues so that was it for my career.

My former High School coach tried out for the Pats during the early 60's at LB but was cut in camp as well. I believe it was Buonoconti's rookie season.

I coach AAU football and the HC of our team made it to camp with the Dolphins, but was cut as well. Just getting invited to a camp says a lot.

Played Pop Warner and all through HS. Was a CB and Tailback until my senior year, they moved me to Rover. It is a hybrid OLB/SS in a 5-2, that usually lines up on the strong side. Wasn't spectacular but got a partial scholarship offer from Plymouth State (D3). But life got in the way and I never made it to college straight out of HS.

I only had one injury, a broken hand suffered on the second play of my second to last game my senior year. I finished the game, not missing a play and then played in the final game with it as well. I never actually got a cast on it because I wouldn't have been able to play in the game with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST