PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.K. Fellow Members...Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We have done Patsfans.com members introductions in Ian's thread

We have done Patsfans.com members ages in another thread

So why not a thread pertaining to those who have actually played the game on a real team? (Being a part of an EA Madden video game is not included or allowed ;))

Did you play in...
Pee Wee League?
High School Football?
College Football?

Tell us the position you played?
Did you start?
Did your team win any championship or some other big win?

I just thought it would be cool to know since we have so many guys in here who know alot about the game of football but don't know who has actually been a part of a team and knows the game from actually being in the trenches?

(Note: Please be honest in this thread - No one with answers like "Well I was so good on my team that I was the whole defensive line and took on a five OL by myself ect: and if you did not actually play please leave it at that )

I myself played LB in HS but was not a full time starter more or less in and out and played a little Safety and halfback as well

In 1983 as a senior,my team won Pennsylvania's state championship with a
13-0 record and is something I can say I have always been proud to be a part of,especially with an undefeated season.

Re: O.K. Fellow Members..Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

Nothing really.
Had asthma as a kid. This was WAY before any drugs so sports were out untill miraculously I outgrew asthma sorta like Teddy Roosevelt.

In college, healthy for the first time, played Frat league blocking back and on D, OLB pass rusher. Loved hiting.

Spent decades always playing QB in sandlot and in company football. A rag arm like Pennington but looped long TD passes over inept DBs. Got company football outlawed in 3 different companies because of injuries. :)

EDIT: Got boycotted as QB on town football team because as town FinCom Chairman I recommended that voters not pay for Peewee football uniforms in a year when we held all budgets to zero increase.

Last edited:
Re: O.K. Fellow Members..Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

I play Saftey... on Madden :D

Played football..............ok it was soccer. Undefeated.
Used to take soccer balls out to around midfield of the football field and make field goals.

Yea Ive been playing for a while now started in 5th grade way back in 2000 (About the time I really started taking an interest in the Patriots, coincidence?).
Through middle school I was dead set on playing RB, only problem was that everyone else wanted to be RB too so I barely got any playing time.
Then in highschool I matured a little and became open to poisitions other than RB. In JV I played as corner and started as a receiver but our gameplan made sure that thr ball came to me about once in every 200 plays. Right now on V-squad Im a backup WR (pretty far down the depth chart) but I do see a lot of playing time at what our scheme calls a "robber", which is basically a nickel back that locks onto where the QB is going.
We played our first sections game last Wednesday (Wed. because there was nop school rest of week) and won it 45-24. Except we lost our star LB and tomorrow we have our next game against the best high school team in the state.
Also Im really getting into rugby started playing sophomore year and I see a lot more touches than in football.

Last edited:

Great thread idea.

I played two seasons in high school. The first was my freshman year, and that was a cool one as I was the starting middle linebacker and got to call the plays. Also played some fullback. Didn't play my sophomore year to concentrate on hockey which i was better at. Looking back I wish i had continued.

I transferred to a different school my junior year and was talking into playing because they were short on numbers. After missing all of double sessions and having just a week of practice I didn't come off th field in the first game, tackle both ways, all special teams. We were horrible and I was horrible. Hated playing line. Decided not to play my senior year when ironically the team turned it around and was pretty good.

I went on to play college hockey so I guess it all worked out.

Played:

Bantam Football (Grade 9)

Centre. Started every game, can't remember how we did.

High School

Grade 10 - D-line & LB - Rode pine all year, remember playing LB for one series and that is it.

Grade 11 - Defensive Tackle. Started every game, we were 0-8. Lost a game 55-0. :(

Grade 12 - Starting Right Guard and Defensive Tackle. 7-2 and won provincials. I guess we learned a lot in those games the year before as we only lost 10% of our starters.

Got cut from a Junior team in rookie camp following high school and remember being disappointed. The year after high school I became a Patriots fan, so I guess things worked out alright. :)

played a year in highschool. team sucked, we only won one game, and I was a backup safty. The team was huge (and you weren't allowed to cut freshman players from the team if they wanted to participate), so I got limited playtime. Was great fun though.

7th grade

Cornerback / Backup QB [Came in one play, fumbled while handing off]

Yes.

We had one win, by one point.

played safety and reciever in high school

we only won a few games. the school was restarting the program, and struggling to find guys to play.

been playing madden since 2003

Last edited:

I have never worn a helmet and allowed someone to get physical with me.

I played intramurals in High School (flag) and was asked to QB a team in the fraternity league as an honorary member (flag also).

i hated the helmets at first, they bothered my ears and always felt too tight.

running in shoulder pads gave me an appreciation for why players keep their hands on the neck of their pads.

and holding penalties. definitely frustrating.

i hated the helmets at first, they bothered my ears and always felt too tight.

running in shoulder pads gave me an appreciation for why players keep their hands on the neck of their pads.

and holding penalties. definitely frustrating.

I hated wearing Jocks - If I knew I could get away with it and was assured that 'pokey and the twins' were going to be safe from danger I would have secretly not worn one but I am sure in time it would have come back to haunt me in a bad way..ouch :eek:.

Does touch football count? Play slotback (CFL Terminology) in a touch football league, CFL rules.

I played cornerback in Junior High and my Freshman year in High School. I had a broken leg in the last game and that put the end to my football career. :)

I continued to play Frisbee Football through College and also managed to break the fingers in both hands playing Air Hockey, although I won the Air Hockey Championship in my colleges Winter Games Competition.. :rolleyes:

I played on several intramural flag teams in the military, for whatever that's worth.

I was a two way starter at DT/DE (depending on scheme) on D and Center on offense I also got to kick off and kick field goals if we were blowing a team out (just because my coach thought it was funny to watch a 6'3'' 250 lb guy wearing a neck roll kick
I got second team all state at DT
In my Junior year we went 9-1 losing in the sectional championship
In my senior year we went 11-1 losing in the state semi-finals

My greatest memory was my first game on varsity, we were playing the defending section champs and the local papers had us as 27 point under dogs we won 14-12 because they never had a kicker on their team and always went for 2 and we stopped them both times, they drove down to our 9 yard line and time expired greatest feeling of my life!

Last edited:

played in highschool. sophmore year i kicked field goals for varsity (since i was a soccer player since i was about 3 years old), was funny cuz only me and one other sophmore were involved with the varsity team and we got to ride on the varsity bus with all the juniors and seniors, and all the other sophmores (most of my friends) had to ride the JV bus to the games! I was special! A kicker!

Junior year was a bit different, started varsity playing cornerback and wide receiver both ways, kicked field goals, and kicked kickoffs. Didnt do punting because we had this huge olineman that could punt the ball a mile. We won two western mass division 1 superbowls those years, one of the best teams in the state (Springfield Central High Golden Eagles), although i missed the one my sophmore year because i got hurt the week before the superbowl (ruptured spleen), but my junior year was amazingly fun. Senior year i played soccer cause that was my roots, and i did everything i wanted to playing football (just for fun).

I was famous for a week too! I had 4 INTs in one game, it made the front page in USA Today newspaper under top performances. 4 INTs is complete ownage i was like borderline a god.

http://www.wwlp.com/Global/story.asp?S=6947182&nav=menu600_4_5

Super Bowl History 1990-1999

1990 Western Massachusetts Super Bowls

Division I Holyoke 24 Northampton 14

Divison II Monument Mtn 8 Ware 6

1991 Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Springfield Cathedral 20 Longmeadow 6

Division II St. Joseph's 28 Mahar 0

1992 Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Longmeadow 40 Minnechaug 16

Division II Hoosac Valley 31 Turners Falls 0

1993 Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Springfield Central 28 West Springfield 7
missed game due to injury
Division II Lee 42 Athol 8

1994 Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Springfield Central 15 South Hadley 14 played in this game
Division II Lee 22 East Longmeadow 7

1995 Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Holyoke 47 Greenfield 16

Division II St. Joseph's 19 East Longmeadow 7

1996 Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Springfield Central 23 Northampton 15

Division II Monument Mtn 22 Mahar 0

1997 Central/Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Springfield Central 55 Shrewsbury 14

Division I Leominster 45 Holyoke 14

Division II Longmeadow 12 Nashoba 10

Division II Gardner 12 Wahconah 6

Division III Northbridge 38 Frontier Regional 20

Division III Oxford 39 Franklin County Tech 6

1998 Central/Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Springfield Cathedral 28 Fitchburg 21

Division I Leominster 28 Holyoke 7

Division II Longmeadow 32 Westboro 8

Division II Wahconah 30 Southbridge 12

Division III Northbridge 41 Turners Falls 0

Division III Lunenburg 21 Ludlow 0

1999 Central/Western Mass Super Bowls

Division I Nashoba Regional 38 Cathedral 13

Division IA Longmeadow 36 Shrewsbury 21

Division II Amherst 27 Southbridge 7

Division IIA Mt. Greylock 44 Oxford 13

Division III Clinton 27 Ware 19

Division IIIA Commerce 33 Bay Path 15

Last edited:

I hated wearing Jocks - If I knew I could get away with it and was assured that 'pokey and the twins' were going to be safe from danger I would have secretly not worn one but I am sure in time it would have come back to haunt me in a bad way..ouch :eek:.
I never ever wore one, no one wears them getting an occasional sack tap is a risk you take

Played receiver, tight end, & defensive back my sophmore, junior, and senior year. Was never a starter, and played in only a couple of games my sophmore year, more my junior year, and then rotated in and out my senior year (we were 0-8 and had a new coach - who was terrible). As for my ability, I was just O.K. My parents never watched football so I never even had a decent understanding of the game until my senior year, and by then it was too late.

Scored my only touchdown on a halfback pass to me in my final high school game. Still have the article in a shoebox somewhere :verycool:

Last edited:

played in highschool. sophmore year i kicked field goals for varsity (since i was a soccer player since i was about 3 years old), was funny cuz only me and one other sophmore were involved with the varsity team and we got to ride on the varsity bus with all the juniors and seniors, and all the other sophmores (most of my friends) had to ride the JV bus to the games! I was special! A kicker!

Junior year was a bit different, started varsity playing cornerback and wide receiver both ways, kicked field goals, and kicked kickoffs. Didnt do punting because we had this huge olineman that could punt the ball a mile. We won two western mass division 1 superbowls those years, one of the best teams in the state (Springfield Central High Golden Eagles), although i missed the one my sophmore year because i got hurt the week before the superbowl (ruptured spleen), but my junior year was amazingly fun. Senior year i played soccer cause that was my roots, and i did everything i wanted to playing football (just for fun).

I was famous for a week too! I had 4 INTs in one game, it made the front page in USA Today newspaper under top performances. 4 INTs is complete ownage i was like borderline a god.

LoooL! Nice story Briz. I don't think Champ Bailey can even say he got 4 INT's in one game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes