PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.K. Fellow Members...Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played center and line backer in high school and 1 year in prep school. Started 2 years in high school and the 1 year in prep school. Started at line backer in freshman ball in college, this was when you could not play varsity football in the Ivy League. Started at line backer my senior year in college, second team sophomore and junior years. Won the Ivy League title my junior and senior year.

Starting Cornerback in my highschool and currently for my college played a bit of special teams as well but not much more of a fill in role

great idea for a thread

Played a little Center in High School although I was a bit too small so ended up as playing a little time at corner,I was not great at either but not horrible either.

Interesting thread - There is a lot of guys in here who have actually played ball and not just loud mouths and/or bullies behind a keyboard..cool

I was a punter/Place kicker in High school for 2 years.

As a Punter I averaged 42 yards per punt. I was all district, and had several scholarship offers. I can actually still boot it really well. I go down to the local High school field and kick for fun. Still can boot em out 60 yards. My FG's though are not so great anymore...I can only kick 40-45 yarders now at best.

As a Kicker I only missed one XP, and my longest FG in a game was 53 yards from the right hash with 2 seconds left to win the game. I just kicked it as hard as I could and luckily it went through.

My high school team was average. Usually around or just above.500 and barely making it to the post season. The My highlights were a 79 yard punt and Two Fake punts for TD's, and my 53 yard FG to win the game. Low point was my first XP attempt. I kicked it so bad it hit one of the linesmen in the back of the head. I never missed another one after that though.

I played college baseball though so Football was something to occupy me until baseball season rolled around. I was a Pitcher. Fastball around 85-90mph in college, wicked curve, and OK changeup. Not the greatest control though....not bad but not pinpoint. College record (only two years I dropped out after that) was 12-5.

Last edited:
played FB/LB for Brockton H.S. Starter all 4 years. Played LB for Worcester St. 2 year starter.

Re: O.K. Fellow Members..Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

Closest I've been was intramural flag football.

Re: O.K. Fellow Members..Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

I played 3 seasons. Flag for 2 before that

Started at CB the first two also played Tailback then wing back in a double wing offense. in my third year in a pre season tournament in Europe i shattered my foot had to have several surgeries. got back half way through the season went in to a game way to early just wanted garbage time but our starting safety went down 3 plays in and I played safety up until the british youth championship when we had some lads over from holland 3 of our CB's were taken out of the game so I went back to CB to cover a lad who everyone said was the best in the league he was 6'2ish i am 5'7 and he didn't catch a pass in the second half.

I recored 3 picks in one game all in the end zone to save vital TD's I played kick/punt returner for my first 2 seasons.

I was offered a HS place if i could cover the fee's thats when i broke my foot. I was selected for the NFLE combine only for it to fold before I ever got to go.

Earlier this month i also gained my coaching qualification. I had been helping out DB coaching for a while

Injuries I had so far.
Broken fingers (many times)
2 stingers
broken foot
Knocked out twice one i was in hospital for 3 days with. the other was done by a teams kicker(he happened to be a 19 stone DT aswell).
Broken wrist

Last edited:

Closest I've been was intramural flag football.

Ditto.

I always played baseball and soccer, so I never had time for football (I'm tall, so the basketball and football coaches were always after me).

I kind of wish I had played in high school, since it turns out I'm not that bad at football. Probably would have been a big white TE.

Played Three Years of Pop Warner and was a Fullback and Nose Tackle. Played 4 years in High School ,three as a starter at Weak Side Linebacker.It was the most fun that I ever had with my clothes on !

Last edited:
I rode the pine on my high school football team for a year, does that count? ;)

Fullback then I put on too much wait lol and moved to NT. Got a couple looks from small schools for NT but I couldn't keep that weight on anymore/got injured too often.

(he happened to be a 19 stone DT aswell).
Broken wrist

Nice work. For the benefit of our cousins, 1 stone=14 lbs. 19 stone is therefore 266 lbs.

Played between the ages of 10-17 in Pop Warner through High School. I was a tackle, guard, center, fullback and ILB in pop warner and a fullback and OLB in High School.

As a former fullback I loved the I-formation.

Nice work. For the benefit of our cousins, 1 stone=14 lbs. 19 stone is therefore 266 lbs.

4 score and 7 stones ago......?

I thought you guys worked in metrics? It's still largely foot-inch-fraction here.

I think you would have a hard time helping me build a shed.

I but him on his back too but trying to run over him as a 160lbs DB i was proud when i found out about it.

4 score and 7 stones ago......?

I thought you guys worked in metrics? It's still largely foot-inch-fraction here.

I think you would have a hard time helping me build a shed.

Officially we work in metric but most people still measure height in feet weight in stones and distance is still imperial.

I played O-Line/Linebacker from 3rd grade through High School, walked on in college for two years, got some nice cleats out of the deal.

I play (still) in a street league where I'm amazed no one has been killed yet. We run the same guys on both sides of the ball, which makes for EXHAUSTING but exciting games.

Safety/Slot and occasional relief QB (killer accuracy/decision making, shoddy long ball).

I'm 32 and defending against largely 17-24 year old athletes and have been tagged shut down. Makes a guy feel better about riding a desk all week. A little.

Ok, guys. During my sophmore and junior year of HS, I was the MANAGER of my high school football team in a small city in Ohio.

For those of you who don't know the duties of someone holding that title, these were mine:
1) Helping set the 1st down pole, 2) running out onto the field during time outs and scraping the mud out of the cleats of the players, 3) sending the dirty uniforms to the cleaners after the game.

While these duties were not exactly ennobling, they did get me the very best seat in the stadium.

Last edited:
Only sandlot football and "kill the guy" (aka smear the Q).

When I was at UNH (Durham), I played Rugby one season, a forward. That game is F-ing brutal. I wimped out after one season as I valued my brain too much and saw too many concussions. I regret that decision. :)

Hence, I am something of a football idiot. I don't understand a lot of basic terminology (like when Madden gives a ten second description of the formation as a "Five-eight with three nickels and the dime in slot" or whatever the jargon is), and have yet to find a really good basic overview for the truly uninformed. (I finally learned the difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye