PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.K. Fellow Members...Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly played indoor and flag football, mostly in rec leagues after high school before I had a few injuries, as both a wideout and safety, a lot like Welker, the shorter, shifty type who could catch almost anything near me, and as safety, I would play center field, provide double coverage if needed and ballhawk when not needed to help coverage. In high school I chose to play the other football, only because I hated the guys on the football team.

Played four years in high school. Started at RB and CB.

Injured my knee my senior year and tried to play intramurals in college but was never the same. :(

4 year starter in HS, on JV I played LB and on Varsity I played safety and a little TE.

3 years of D3 college. I played safety, backup/special teamer for the first 2 years and starter the 3rd.

Loved playing football, junior high through 10th grade -- guard, defensive end, linebacker, special teams. Then switched to cross country in the fall to supplement my track career. Wish I would've stuck with football my junior and senior years, loved the contact.

Last edited:
Another question!

Anyone have any nasty injuries they sustained while playing football?

For me i had:

-Turf Toe
-1 Concussion (Knocked Out)
-1 Stinger (these are HORRIBLE)
-A pretty nasty pulled Heel
-Ruptured Spleen (AKA the big injury)

Why yes, thank you for asking. It wasn't a Joe Theisman special, but I fractured my left femur & sustained a concussion the last game I played. I was out cold but friends told me you could hear an audible gasp from the crowd when they saw the collision. I was one half of a tandem tackle of a very large RB, and apparently my leg ended up between his right leg and the other blocker when we went down. Fortunately the drugs took effect pretty quick after I got to the hospital, but I really don't remember much of the first couple days. :stars2:

Healed up fine, though.

Played in high school, 4 years, second string.
Adequate enough for backup but not good enough to consistently be first string.

Offense:
I played halfback, Freshman & Sophmore year
Played right guard Junior & Senior year (sort of grew larger and stronger).

Was kick returner on kickoffs and punts freshman & Sophmore year but
Blocker and tackler Junior and Senior.

On defense played outside linebacker, either side, all 4 years.

Played on sucky teams overall but one of my teams players ended up in the NFL for 9 years as a tight end for the Cleveland Browns. He was good enough to make the ProBowl three times.

I played in 7th and 8th grade. I was a OLB but rarely played that because I was too slow, and I was also a guard. In 7th grade I played a lot on the B team, but we only won one game the entire year. In 8th grade I hated the coaches, got injured early on, and then failed a class so I was put on the "F Troop". I quit after that year and never signed up to play high school ball. I just didn't think the practices were worth the limited playing time and we sucked anyway. I regret quitting now though.

Re: O.K. Fellow Members..Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

Just finished Playing Varsity football, my team had 3-peated the last three years as State Champions! Played WR, I am like Randy Moss, 6'4" around 175, and i can burn you or jump over you. One of the few white kids on the team! Am going to try to walk on in college next year!

175 at 6'4"?!? Damn you need some twinkies, bro.:p
I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Briz, I'm sorry to read about your misfortune.
It sounds like you had a promising career,

Re: O.K. Fellow Members..Who here has actually been a player on a football team?

175 at 6'4"?!? Damn you need some twinkies, bro.:p
I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

haha sure will, and I eat a lot...only problem being I don't gain weight when I eat.

I played in high school div 1 back in da day. Played in the "Suburban Leauge" against teams like Brockton, Waltham, Newton, Quincy, North Quincy and 1 or 2 others. I graduated in '77

I "dressed" all 3 years for varsity and started in my junior & senior years. Junior year I played inside linebacker and senior year played offensive guard. I also snapped for punts and extra points in both junior and senior years.

I have to say we stunk every year going 5-5, 0-9-1 & 3-7. but I loved every minute of every game. I still have dreams that I'm back playing high school football....except I'm 49 years old! Must be the meds!

Last edited:
Another question!

Anyone have any nasty injuries they sustained while playing football?

For me i had:

-Turf Toe
-1 Concussion (Knocked Out)
-1 Stinger (these are HORRIBLE)
-A pretty nasty pulled Heel
-Ruptured Spleen (AKA the big injury)

I broke my hand twice and some guy rolled my ankle and sprained it pretty bad. I always had swollen fingers and nicks & cuts all year long.

haha sure will, and I eat a lot...only problem being I don't gain weight when I eat.

I can't say I've ever had that problem but I read where
Michael Phelps consumes 35,000 calories a day.
When I consider that for my height, weight and level of activity,
I can not have more than 2,200 calories to maintain. :eek:
I can imagine when you train as hard as Phelps for a period of time
than your metabalism starts burning more and calories more efficiently
so you have to keep up with a very high caloric intake.....
....which cost money and time.

Pop Warner: Beverly, MA: 6th grade-8th grade, nose and fullback
HS: Cushing Academy: 4-year letter winner at Mike and wedge buster. All New England selection, middle linebacker. (I know that sounds gay to say, but I kinda miss the glory days)
Bentley University: Three year letter winner, Will, Mike, strong safety, goalline tailback and wedge buster.

Software Firm, Burlington MA: Salesman. *sigh*

To answer Briz on epic injuries and tests of manhood, here's my list:
-3 concussions
-broken sternum
-3 broken ribs
-2nd degree shoulder seperation
-broken femur
-broken jaw
-broken hand (2x)
-pulled pec
-pulled groin
-Ruptured Achilles...career ender.

Last edited:
wow, i have to follow jays52? i've played tackle football all my life, but only 3 years organized, 7-9. i was 5' tall 100 lbs. as a freshman so needless to say people were looking for me when they wanted someone to hit. backup safety and special teams, the ball actually came to me one time on a punt return. i made a big mistake and picked it up and ran my ass off. only problem was i wasn't going north or south, i was heading for the sideline. right before i accidently went out of bounds i got earholed and sometimes i think i can still hear that ringing in my ear. swore that day it was my last year. migrated to baseball. never wore a jock during the games but i did wear a cup in hockey. my only injury was a mild concussion in hockey.

Pop Warner: Beverly, MA: 6th grade-8th grade, nose and fullback
HS: Cushing Academy: 4-year letter winner at Mike and wedge buster. All New England selection, middle linebacker. (I know that sounds gay to say, but I kinda miss the glory days)
Bentley University: Three year letter winner, Will, Mike, strong safety, goalline tailback and wedge buster.

Software Firm, Burlington MA: Salesman. *sigh*

To answer Briz on epic injuries and tests of manhood, here's my list:
-3 concussions
-broken sternum
-3 broken ribs
-2nd degree shoulder seperation
-broken femur
-broken jaw
-broken hand (2x)
-pulled pec
-pulled groin
-Ruptured Achilles...career ender.

lol, i have a lot of stuff to say..here goes

about the injuries, when u get injured in HS, what hapens? does the school pay for surgery and all that stuff? how about in college?

Deltha O'Neal, Denver vs. Kansas City, Oct. 7, 2001

lol, anyone notice that name on the list of players who have had 4 ints in a game?

Just finished Playing Varsity football, my team had 3-peated the last three years as State Champions! Played WR, I am like Randy Moss, 6'4" around 175, and i can burn you or jump over you. One of the few white kids on the team! Am going to try to walk on in college next year!

good luck man, what college? and if u want, pm me ur name or something, so that we can root for u...also, maybe well be asking for u on draft day sometime?

now for my info...I have worn pads and a helmet, it was for only my 11th year in high school

i just loved football so much, but i went for wr (and was second string(4th on depth chart)...so got my share of snaps, nothing amazing, LOL

if i came out good, i would prob be a wes welker type of reciever...

so, only for one year, and i realized taht it was a big difference being a wr without pads, and being one with em....

also, i never got in line with the speed of the game...when at preseason players talk about getting into the "speed of the game" i know exactly what they mean

so, after that one year, i sort of quit, some issues came up (non health related) and it wasnt the same as playing w/o pads...

(btw, those helmets DO hurt)

I have just become a senior level player for Shropshire Revolution in the British American Football League.

We finished 5-5 last year in our second season, with our first season ending 2-8.

In my first year I trained at CB and Safety. Then second year trained at LB. Now am moving from the darkside, and moving to Tight End.

Well, not quite leather helmets, but the coach sure acted like he'd worn one - as a math teacher, he had tenure. :rolleyes:

I played 4 years of junior high/high school before the school gave up trying to keep enough players on the squad and switched to soccer. My glory year was in 8th grade where I was a starting two-way Guard (the coach's highly advanced 5-2 defensive front) at 6'2" 120. Needless to say drive blocking wasn't my strength - which must be why the coach put so much emphasis on it.

The next year I was a massive 135 and got to start one glorious game at LB - such freedom to run and hit - before attrition (the wimps quit) caused the coach to put me back in at Defensive Guard. Small town, small school politics, some kids never had to worry about playing a position they didn't like. Anywho, I started at OT/DG that season while riding the pine as a WR for the varsity so they could qualify with enough people for their games - I hate WR.

Never played much as a sophomore before the school went to soccer, I played that the last two years of high school and was a player/coach for club soccer while flunking out of college. I'm credited with holding the club together long enough for a new professor to formally take it over and eventually get the college accredited.

After that, driving truck and a four year hitch in the military (do you know if you're having fun four years can feel like a fast 20 ;) ) to raise money to return to college left me preoccupied with life until retirement and the internet allowed me to try a more cerebral approach to the game.

Regarding Briz's injury question: groin and ankles. I hate groin injuries, talk about sucking the strength and mobility out of your legs. On the jock question, it's just a tool to help targeting - see fish in a barrel, shooting - let'em swing and have a chance to duck.

It's all about the 2 way player in highschool. RT and DE. I'm glad I learned about football firsthand as it makes watching the games much more meaningful. Oh and I enjoyed playing defense more than offense cos I really liked tackling. It's real fun. Best game, sack and strip for a fumble that was recovered by my team. And yeah we won. I'm not going to claim to be a great athlete though. Just played for the fun of it.

PS I'm not sure why we can't find anyone to play RT on this team. IMO RT is kind of easier to play than RG since you don't pull nearly as much.

Theres a football team right be me but I've trimmed down alot for "soccer" so I'd be ineffective unless I put the muscle I used to carry back on. About 5 years ago I would have fancied myself as a DE or OLB had I wanted to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes