PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYT: Walsh sends tapes to Goodell, NO walkthrough tape, all from 2000-2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
A perhaps interesting thought:

Walsh's lawyer, speaking on behalf of Walsh, has stated that he was not the source for the walk through information.

Does anyone think the Patriots organization would be willing to agree not to sue the Herald + perhaps give them greater access again if they divulge that the source was indeed Walsh?

This would clearly prove he breached his agreement to not knowingly lie (eg he claimed he isnt the source when he is). I'm not sure if they could then sue walsh for anything (eg slander or something) but it would atleast establish he is a liar. Also, I am not sure how the agreement completely works, but if the lie breaches it, perhaps he would lose all his indemnity / protections in the agreement.

Moreover, perhaps this information could be used in a suit against other entity, namely ESPN.

Now that I think about it some more. Does it really even matter? 2000-2002 Who care it's a non issue. It's all consistent so it really doesn't matter.

Lets see now,Other than the SB in 2001....

2000 year NE was 5-11 one of the worst in the league
2002 year no playoffs and division won by the Jets

Enough said about this BS from those years and alleged cheating crap.

The Herald are not going to be sued anyway. I hate them, I hate Tomasse, but I really wish people would drop the Herald lawsuit stuff, it's not gonna happen.

Walsh's lawyer, speaking on behalf of Walsh, has stated that he was not the source for the walk through information.

Does anyone think the Patriots organization would be willing to agree not to sue the Herald + perhaps give them greater access again if they divulge that the source was indeed Walsh?

This would clearly prove he breached his agreement to not knowingly lie (eg he claimed he isnt the source when he is). I'm not sure if they could then sue walsh for anything (eg slander or something) but it would atleast establish he is a liar. Also, I am not sure how the agreement completely works, but if the lie breaches it, perhaps he would lose all his indemnity / protections in the agreement.

Moreover, perhaps this information could be used in a suit against other entity, namely ESPN.

Why would they do that? They have a pretty strong defamation case against the Herald that may force them to reveal their source anyway.

I could feel the love, so I just had to stop by. It's like having my own little cheering section.

I have to agree that if this is all Walsh has next week, then I don't think that anything more will happen to the Pats. He doesn't have the Big Enchilada (the Rams SB tape) and from the article it sounds like the only new thing might be that there were offensive signals taped also. That strikes even me as "more of the same," even if my team was one of the victims in the tapes.

Looks like Walsh's mouth did overload his butt in some sense (which I had thought was about a 70% chance), although I also think that what happened was that before Walsh made his comment about "things out there no one has taken responsibility for yet" in late Jan./early Feb. Goodell had not yet announced that the Pats' taping activities went back to 2000--as you may recall, he only said that after Walsh's quotes were public, perhaps in an attempt to cut the ground out from under Walsh (which was successful it looks like).

So, yeah, looks like it was only the cheating you've already been punished for, unless Walsh has more to say on Tuesday in addition to the tapes turned over, which is possible, but we'll see. If he does, he'll need to provide additional proof presumably (I still think in such case my lie detector idea may come into play.) Does make one wonder though where Tomasse got his information if it wasn't Walsh as Levy claims in the article.

What's funny is that folks around the League who haven't followed this story closely are already saying that this is new and the Pats should be fined more (including on some Bills sites). As noted above, and as someone who has followed the story closely, I don't think that's going to be the case here, as Goodell did say belatedly the taping went back to 2000, so this is stuff he was aware of in Sept. when he took your pick away and fined BB. If Walsh has nothing else, you should be fine (and that's "fine" and not "fined").

Man you would be a shutdown corner if you ever played... cause you can backpedal with the best of 'em :D

Your "suspicions" are now proven to be ridiculous posturing and wishful thinking.
Let me remind you that this whole thing was blown way out of proportion for the media outlets gain.

Its pathetic that football fans like you ignored the facts and clung onto all the grandstanding that the media fed you. Lets get this straight... media outlets are driven by profit, not news. If there is something that is news that people will tune into/read, then they use it and pump it up to get you interested, kind of like how lead ins and teasers for the news get you to tune in and keep it tuned in during commercials, just to give you some fluff that you already knew.
Furthermore, while REAL news outlets are SUPPOSED to be about revealing the truth first and formost, Sports news is about....thats right..... Entertainment! Just like the sports themselves. Just look at whats happening with Roger Clemens. Let me start out by saying I am not comparing what he is accused of to what the pats are accused of.
But still, while I don't like the man and believe he is no angel, I can still see that the guy was the best (like the Pats) and what started out as a steroids accusation, has turned him into an adulterer, pedophile that will be charged with perjury in front of a grand jury and statutory rapist! He brought this on himself, but realize that it was the sports media and overzealous fans that charged the hype machine. I guarantee if theres no steroid accusation, these women don't come forward with adultery and statutory rape accusations. People see an opportunity to pile it on.
While the muckrakers in real news are supposed to bring real corruption to light, the Mickey Mouse sports media's muckrakers just want to rile up the "average" pea brained sports nut. Those of us with a clue know this. You obviously don't.
Let me ask you.... do you still have toilet paper stockpiled for Y2K (like the catchy name?, kinda like SPYGate). Did you go out and buy a Y2K compliant PC? You must have at least went out and bought new storm windows in preparation for El nino! :rofl:.

From all of their pompous blowharding, the "news outlets (and I use that term lightly when referring to sports news) received millions of extra hits on their websites.. sold countless newspapers and magazines, and had MoMo's like you glued to the t.v. screen through countless Doritoes commercials.

Foolish, Foolish pawn.

This all started because it was obvious that ALL TEAMS were ignoring the "re-emphasis on an old rule" and continued taping. Goodell realized it and sent memos to ALL OF THE TEAMS about it. ALL TEAMS kept doing it, and he sent them out again.
Presented here is the rest of the story, in fairy tale format, so that you may fully understand it.

Then one day in a magical stinkhole called New York, a mythical creature known as the Rodent of unusual size (also known as Mangini) realized that he could never beat the evil Patriots and dispatched one of his flying monkeys to the sidelines to snatch a tape from the Patriots, which he sent to the new Sheriff of Rottingham... i'm sorry... commissioner ;)
knowing that this might get the Pats in a little bit of trouble. After the new Puppet... er.. inept figurehead, er I mean commissioner. Got his hands on it, he proceeded to pump it up to dragon sized proportions, to show the villagers, I mean fans... that he slayed a huge dragon, not the tiny one it really was. But little did the Commissioner know that the dragon he created would turn out to be too much for him to handle, and it terrorized the village (NFL). Bumbling Mangini, knowing full well that he had done, and was still doing, the same thing as the Pats, and not wanting the dragon to eat him alive as well, went into hiding. He refused to talk to reporters and even presented a united front against the evil wizard of Pennsylvania... Arlen Spector (cool wizards name by the way) by refusing to help him take down the Patriots further. Thereafter it was known that the Wizard, the sheriff and all of the bumbling peons (fans of every other NFL team) stomped their feet and grumbled at the hands of defeat, after the Patriots had to ride into town and destroy the dragon themselves (ie. signing indemnity agreements, issuing bold public statements) in the end the dragon would eventually deflate into the tiny creature it once was, and sir's Bellichick and Kraft stepped on it....never to be remembered again.

Synopsis:
Everyone was doing it.
They wouldn't stop
The new commisioner told them to stop.
They didn't stop.
Petty rat offers up Pats as sacrifice to get them in trouble while providing opportunity for an example of "swift justice".
All other coaches in the league support BB because they know it is something that they all do, and don't want this sh!tstorm to hit them as well.

You know that its done. You refuse to address the numerous facts and examples I presented to you in previous posts. You act like an ostrich with your head in the sand. You either have me blocked and can't read my posts, or the more likely scenario is that you know i'm right and can't think of a valid response to my examples and facts.

Just so you know. I am going to bring a video camera with me to all Pats-Bills games and record the Bills signals.
I will turn them over to the Pats and by your logic, your Bills will never win another game against the pats :D
Since I will be making the recording from my seat it will be perfectly allowable and legal.
Imagine the headlines.... Extra Extra, read all about it! Pats beat every team they face, based on video taped signals that were completely allowable under NFL rules!

You must be scared out of your mind by this. Because you know taping your teams signals is the worst thing that could ever happen to them.

Sit on that fact, while you wait for the evening news to come back from commercial to tell you "what your kids are doing online, that you don't now about", or "what the governement doesn't want you to know about your drinking water"

Tard.

Last edited:
ESPN Scroll=Walsh has tapes of Pats recording games vs. Fins, Steelers, etc.

Unreal. Their update scroll breaks a story that is nothing new and fails to mention that they are exonerated from the biggest question mark surrounding the Walsh Situation.

I've never given much credence to the ESPN hates the Pats philosophy, but given that that is their Walsh update, kinda suspect.

Re: ESPN Scroll=Walsh has tapes of Pats recording games vs. Fins, Steelers, etc.

ESPN especially on their crawl goes for the cheap, sensational headline.

Re: ESPN Scroll=Walsh has tapes of Pats recording games vs. Fins, Steelers, etc.

Unreal. Their update scroll breaks a story that is nothing new and fails to mention that they are exonerated from the biggest question mark surrounding the Walsh Situation.

I've never given much credence to the ESPN hates the Pats philosophy, but given that that is their Walsh update, kinda suspect.

espn is based in Connecticut

Thanks. I know that. Doesn't have anything to do with management deciding it's good for national ratings to cast Pats as Villains.

Wow thats original! - How did you come up with that little tidbit?

Oh,BTW - I just went to the Cleveland Browns website fan forum and can you believe the browns fans there actually HATE the Steelers and call Roethlisberger a ***? - What a revelation eh? - Shocking!!! :rolleyes:

:rofl:

(Ten Characters)

NEWSFLASH: This is an internet sports fan forum where guys say anything and everything and no one knows them personally,cares about them or gives a damn for everything else but the Patriots here and related Pats stuff - like it should be.

I could NEVER care what a guy in here thinks about me who is probably a guy about 350 lbs,sitting in his fruit of the loom with a beer in one hand,the mouse in the other and a huge bowl of chocolate covered pretzels next to his keyboard. - Now that is the kind of person I really need to impress and worry about dissapointing :rolleyes:

I saw that episode too.

One thing bothers me here. The Patriots turned in 6 tapes to Roger Goodell. Matt Walsh turned in 8. How does Goodell interpret this? Does he see this as a sign of the Pat's not being completely forthcoming? The 6 and 8 tape thing is just what I've read. For all I know the Pat's spoke of more behind closed doors to Goodell.

Goodell is not a complete idiot, he absolutley knows that videotaping was widespread before 2006. He had to act and he did under a lot of scrutiny and pressure. Too much of a fine levied imo. I'd say we are 90% ok at this point but I was just wondering if the 2 games that weren't turned in will mean something like new evidence?

Bill Bellichicks response: "So THAAAAATS where those tapes went!"

:D

It is very interesting that he would deny it, if it was true. Seeing as his indemnity gives him all the power in the world to say "yeah, I told that fat load I had a tape"

Last edited by a moderator:
you know, you're right...I was actually just sitting here thinking "why am i reading this crap jets site" the only logical thing i can think of is that I like to get pised off at them, and it makes it much much better when they get crushed.

2 other things, I'm not the close to the only one on here that post links to other teams fan sites...so whatever

oh and...you're a d!ck.
When you go to other fans sites and post crap, you are a troll, and are in no position to insult people who don't.

When you go to other fans sites and post crap, you are a troll, and are in no position to insult people who don't.

actually, I didnt post anything over there, I was just reading.

Tomase Column: Walsh gives eight Pats tapes to NFL

Sadly...no comment section...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...bg?articleid=1092644&srvc=patriots&position=1

Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh turned over eight tapes to the NFL that show the team recording offensive and defensive signals of five teams in six games between 2000 and 2002, the New York Times reported last night.

Walsh’s attorney, Michael Levy, later confirmed the story’s accuracy in an e-mail to the Herald.

Walsh did not turn over a tape of the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI. Addressing media speculation about such a tape, as well as the Herald’s Feb. 2 story about the walkthrough, Levy told the Times, “Mr. Walsh has never claimed to have a tape of the walkthrough.

“Mr. Walsh has never been the source of any of the media speculation about such a tape,” Levy added. “Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article.”

The tapes Walsh provided show the Patriots recording the offensive and defensive signals of the Dolphins, Bills, Browns, Chargers and Steelers, with Pittsburgh taped during the 2002 AFC title game, the Times reported.

EDIT: Somehow this wasn't mentioned...

"Mr. Walsh has never claimed to have a tape of the walk-through," said Walsh's lawyer Michael Levy, according to the Times. "Mr. Walsh has never been the source of any of the media speculation about such a tape. Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article."

Last edited by a moderator:

As if their location has anything to do with this. What you think they all go to bars with the townies or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand