Asking for your support

Is John Clayton a liar

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsyouruncle

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Found on Reddit that John Clayton published an article a few days ago where he wrote:
For example, Sean Payton received a one-year suspension for the Saints' bounty scandals while Bill Belichick wasn't suspended for spying on practices.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...eady-rocky-start-field-issues-clayton-mailbag

I guess technically it’s true BB wasn’t suspended for spying on practices. He also wasn’t suspended for assassinating Kennedy. Obviously as a national reporter he can’t fact check, but I suppose mistakes happen. Except he had already written two articles previously acknowledging that taping practices was a myth, even reporting the Herald's role.
The Boston Herald is under scrutiny for using a source that accused the Patriots of having an unnamed employee tape a St. Louis Rams walk-through just before the 2002 Super Bowl. Walsh told Goodell he had no knowledge of any taping of a Rams walk-through or any other taping of an opposing team's practice.
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3394586&src=desktop&wjb
http://web.archive.org/web/20080512...lumns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3386833

Weird, you would think an NFL reporter who wrote several articles about spygate, and two reporting that the taping rumor was “Under heavy scrutiny” would have remembered this was false. So after people complained he issue a correction that said:
A Feb 8 story on ESPN.com incorrectly reported details around New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick's NFL punishment in 2007. Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 for spying on an opponent's signals.
Yeah, that’s not really what happened though, he didn’t incorrectly report the details of the punishment, he incorrectly reported the crime. He did actually fix the claim about taping practices, but this “correction” just replaced one lie for another.

He’s pretending he issued a correction for the punishment (500k, 250k) but in fact he never even originally stated the punishment. He is trying to weasel out of admitting his mistake by claiming to fix something else. Maybe that first claim was a mistake, but now it’s looking like his integrity has some real problems. I’m having trouble believing any of it was a mistake.

FYI- His Wikipedia page was changed:
Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 6.24.52 PM.png
If anyone would like to tell ESPN that you think Clayton needs to go to a journalistic ethics class here's the contacts link. Let's put him next to Jerry Rice in the used to be respected bin.

https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex

Last edited:
41465_600.jpg

I love that people are using Wikipedia to fight back against these slime balls who are intentionally publishing lies.
Me too, these people have no trouble using lies to drag people's names through the mud, they should be thankful others have the decency to only use facts.

When they start realizing that publishing lies leaves a permanent legacy under their names for their children and grandchildren detailing what a lying POS Pops was, they might start lying a little less often.

BB was only 11 years old when Kennedy was assassinated and lived 1,400 miles away at the time. After conducting an exhaustive retroactive investigation into allegations of BB's involvement, R. Stokoe Goodell determined that findings were inconclusive.

BB was only 11 years old when Kennedy was assassinated and lived 1,400 miles away at the time. After conducting an exhaustive retroactive investigation into allegations of BB's involvement, R. Stokoe Goodell determined that findings were inconclusive.
But BB knew an old man who was in the same state as Kennedy for 90 seconds so preponderance of evidence says he's guilty.

BTW- I sent a complaint in to ESPN and surprisingly I got a non-generic response. It's fairly limited in text but if you want to copy mine go ahead since I think quantity is better than quality in this case. My text below:

"Clayton still has not corrected his second error from the February 8th mailbag. Clayton had previously written two articles claiming that Belichick taping practices was false. Then on the 8th he magically decided it was a fact. His correction is a joke. He now claims to have corrected the "punishment". Which is a lie because he never wrote about the punishment, and his excuse is what I would expect of a small child caught red handed in the cookie jar.

Clayton needs a journalistic ethics class, when you print a correction you acknowledge the mistake. You don't hide it and claim you are fixing something else. I would think with Chad Ford lying and editing old articles ESPN has enough to do without Clayton doing the same.

A correction is now insufficient, he needs to issue an apology. Preferably with an explanation of why he lied twice.
"

Going on the offensive ala Jerry Rice and Kravitz has definitely been more effective than the spygate method of doing nothing. And it has been driven largely by Patriots fans. Couldn't be more proud of my fellow a**holes.

Last edited:
But BB knew an old man who was in the same state as Kennedy for 90 seconds so preponderance of evidence says he's guilty.
I'm wondering if the old man was passing through and might've stopped just long enough to take a pee. That would seem plausible.

yeah, yeah, yeah...BUT...SUPPOSE Clayton is RIGHT!!! Now just listen to my hypothetical...actually the Pats DID tape the Rams walkthrough (supposedly) so anyone can see that this is now (supposedly) true and Goodell should rethink the fines and draft pick loss and double everything.

Found on Reddit that John Clayton published an article a few days ago where he wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...eady-rocky-start-field-issues-clayton-mailbag

I guess technically it’s true BB wasn’t suspended for spying on practices. He also wasn’t suspended for assassinating Kennedy. Obviously as a national reporter he can’t fact check, but I suppose mistakes happen. Except he had already written two articles previously acknowledging that taping practices was a myth, even reporting the Herald's role.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3394586&src=desktop&wjb
http://web.archive.org/web/20080512...lumns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3386833

Weird, you would think an NFL reporter who wrote several articles about spygate, and two reporting that the taping rumor was “Under heavy scrutiny” would have remembered this was false. So after people complained he issue a correction that said:

Yeah, that’s not really what happened though, he didn’t incorrectly report the details of the punishment, he incorrectly reported the crime. He did actually fix the claim about taping practices, but this “correction” just replaced one lie for another.

He’s pretending he issued a correction for the punishment (500k, 250k) but in fact he never even originally stated the punishment. He is trying to weasel out of admitting his mistake by claiming to fix something else. Maybe that first claim was a mistake, but now it’s looking like his integrity has some real problems. I’m having trouble believing any of it was a mistake.

FYI- His Wikipedia page was changed:
View attachment 8696
If anyone would like to tell ESPN that you think Clayton needs to go to a journalistic ethics class here's the contacts link. Let's put him next to Jerry Rice in the used to be respected bin.

https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex
He seems to have changed the article after numerous comments calling him out. It now says "For example, Sean Payton received a one-year suspension for the Saints' bounty scandals while Bill Belichick wasn't suspended for Spygate, just heavily fined."

Ridiculous to even compare the two incidents. One is encouraging players to potentially end another player's career and the other is taping signals, as BB said, given in front of 80,000 people. In addition to journalistic ethics, Clayton needs some perspective.

He seems to have changed the article after numerous comments calling him out. It now says "For example, Sean Payton received a one-year suspension for the Saints' bounty scandals while Bill Belichick wasn't suspended for Spygate, just heavily fined."
Yeah I wrote that, but point is even that correction is insufficient. He claims in his correction that he got the "punishment" wrong. He didn't, had he wrote "BB wasn't suspended for taping defensive signals" no correction would be necessary.

But he claims that he fixed the error in "punishment" when what he actually did was remove the lie about taping practices. Just more dishonesty. The correction should have said "the original said he taped practices, that is incorrect, BB taped in game defensive signals."

The addition of the amount of fine is a little showmanship, as if to imply he made a mistake about the size of fines to those people that didn't see the original article. He's just lying again, but about something different now. He's a POS, and needs to correct his edit to admit WHAT he screwed up, not to pretend is was something else.

Last edited:
Looks like this commercial was accurate, besides the consummate pro part... Still cracks me up though
This is SportsCenter - John Clayton:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye