PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYT: Walsh sends tapes to Goodell, NO walkthrough tape, all from 2000-2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, and If Im wrong prove it to me, where was there a law in the nfl bylaws, that show what the pats did from 2000-2006 , illigeal.. If its wrong, the pats admited they did that, if not, I call it advance scouting, maybee if Coward would have did that his great stiller teams he coached would have won more than 1 Super bowl...

For the record, I emailed Reiss about this during the SB. He said that it has been "a rule for forever". That is what he was told when he asked the question about the taping.

Now, it just may be that the rule wasn't enforced previously.

Re: NYT: Walsh sends tapes to Goodell, NO walkthrough tape, all from 2000 and 2002

Two questions: What was Walsh afraid of legally? Nobody has mentioned that. This is B.S. and was B.S. He had nada (unless some Herald writer told him to shut his mouth!)
Secondly: The NFL rule clearly states that the taping of plays is only legal if the film operator is in an enclosed structure with a roof covering. All of these tapes could have been made from the coaching box or even a satellite in this day and age, but if our Jets taping was performed within a big cardboard discarded refrigerator packing box on the sideline it would have been legal. Are you all aware of this? Spygate? Please!!!!!!!!! We got nailed for where it took place not the information received. A rules violation, not mortal sin. We got robbed a draft pick and Bill his pocketbook.
Clinton gets away with worse and his wife runs for president? What the hell is wrong with all these people? The worst we should get nailed for is our "out of the box" approach..........Sorry.
DW Toys

Walsh was afraid of being prosecuted for having stolen property. He had the tapes and "boxes of stolen memorabilia".

Re: Thank you John Tomase and Boston Herald

Like others, I'm hateful and bitter at many people. But if this is all there is I'm just glad we can move on without any more penalties. 2008 all the way now.

#$%^ moving on. After one side moves the other replies. After being in the outfield so long, I want my turn at bat.

I don't want a pound of flesh, this is the 21st century. I want a kilogram of flesh. (1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds)

I could feel the love, so I just had to stop by. It's like having my own little cheering section.

I have to agree that if this is all Walsh has next week, then I don't think that anything more will happen to the Pats. He doesn't have the Big Enchilada (the Rams SB tape) and from the article it sounds like the only new thing might be that there were offensive signals taped also. That strikes even me as "more of the same," even if my team was one of the victims in the tapes.

How the hell was your team a victim? Or are you too much of an idiot to realize that the tapes couldn't have been used during the games since they were editted the day after the games were played?

God, you ignorance is beyond belief.

Re: NYT: Walsh sends tapes to Goodell, NO walkthrough tape

As fans of our team we should raise hell and make these ******* answer for all their accusations and innuendo. We should all bombard these jerks with emails and phone calls and demand the Herald write a retraction.

Lets hope Goodell does the right thing and lets this die a long awaited death.

*$#@ that. Calling all lawyers.

On ESPN radio they said that Herm Edwards as a Jets coach actually waived at the camera when he was being taped..(it was common knowledge of course by even the other coaches)....this is news to me - the waiving part. Can anyone clarify this?

This is old news. This came out last September. Edwards wasn't the only coach who did it. The CHIN did it as well..

Re: NFL Commissioner's Office - "Tapes consistent with what we already knew"

So since the NFL can't fault the Patriots for violating a rule change that didn't exist until 2006, the only additional punishment I can see is if Goodell asserts that the Pats had the same tapes Walsh did (and who can prove that?) and did not give them to him.

The Pats did not send the material to the NFL; the NFL came up to Foxboro, examined it, and then destroyed it, so I don't see this as a likely scenario at all.

Re: NYT: Walsh sends tapes to Goodell, NO walkthrough tape, all from 2000 and 2002

Again, Kordell Stewart was the QB, and the stillers played thier best in the second half of that game... Beside's one of the more classy owners Dan Rooney says its not a issuie, to bad the Stillers fans have no class...

was it from a walkthrough?

How the hell was your team a victim? Or are you too much of an idiot to realize that the tapes couldn't have been used during the games since they were editted the day after the games were played?

I think it's all teams' fans, honestly. Over on a Browns board they seem to think they're gonna get a draft choice from us for this. I'm not sure if it's funny, stupid or pathetic that they don't realize we've already paid our penalty for this.

The Herald are not going to be sued anyway. I hate them, I hate Tomasse, but I really wish people would drop the Herald lawsuit stuff, it's not gonna happen.

I think its much more likely to happen than not happen. Kraft was clearly pi$$ed when this BS broke and he has said that people need to be held accountable.

I think its much more likely to happen than not happen. Kraft was clearly pi$$ed when this BS broke and he has said that people need to be held accountable.

And being one of the more powerful owners I can envision him having Goodell's ear and telling him that 'there is only smoke and mirrors' and end this crap once and for all...............
----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3227245

Walsh, a former Patriots video assistant, has suggested to ESPN.com that he has information that could have exposed the Patriots prior to the NFL catching New England taping the New York Jets <http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyj>' defensive signals during the 2007 season opener. The Patriots were fined $750,000 and lost a first-round draft pick as punishment.
"If I had a reason to want to go public, or tell a story, I could have done it before it even broke," Walsh told ESPN.com. "I could have said everything rather than having [Jets coach Eric] Mangini be the one to bring it out.
"If they're doing a thorough investigation -- they didn't contact me. So draw your own conclusions. Maybe they felt they didn't need to. Maybe the league feels they got satisfactory answers from everything the Patriots sent them."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now go back to Hawai'i and stay there....................

That's true, but there may be better ways than a lawsuit.

For example, if I were the Krafts, I would send a letter to this effect:

As of Thursday, May 8, 2008, the New England Patriots hereby revoke all press credentials for all members of the Boston Herald staff, and deny permission to any Herald employee to conduct interviews, on the record or off the record, with any Patriots employee or player at any time; to solicit information from any Patriots employee or player; or to photograph or otherwise record images or sounds of Patriots employees or players.

The Patriots also deny Herald employees permission to enter private Patriots facilities (including Gillette Stadium, the Dana Farber Field House, and other practice facilities) without prior written permission. Any Herald employee violating this rule will be immediately reported to the police for trespassing.

These rules will remain in effect until the Herald takes public and pro-active steps to remedy the damage they caused to the Patriots' reputation as a result of the February 2, 2008 story published by John Tomase.

Last edited:
Re: NFL Commissioner's Office - "Tapes consistent with what we already knew"

I'm sure others reported this quote from the Commissioner's office, but I thought it worthy of its own thread headline:

"There is no Rams walk-through tape, and the tapes on the list are tapes of coaching signals consistent with what we already knew and what the coach admitted he was doing based on the interpretation of the rule," league spokesman Greg Aiello said last night.

The eight tapes are of five opponents from six games, including two tapes from the Patriots' 24-17 victory over the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game on Jan.27, 2002.

"I interpreted it as you couldn't use it during the game, that current game, which was never done," Belichick said at the league meetings in April. "I've never done that. Never used any information from the game in that current game. Whatever was used was used for the future."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...8-05-07_pats_exvideo_guy_has_nothing_new.html

So since the NFL can't fault the Patriots for violating a rule change that didn't exist until 2006, the only additional punishment I can see is if Goodell asserts that the Pats had the same tapes Walsh did (and who can prove that?) and did not give them to him.

For his part, it seems that the tapes themselves may be the stolen property Walsh was worried about, no?

I really think this should be its own thread.

Why make people trudge through pages and pages of one thread to possibly learn that the Commissioner's office has already said there's no new information here?

That's the most important news we've got. Put it in the thread headline.

Hey there Pats fans. For the most part, I keep my posts to the Pub (hey Keegs) and the Visitor Locker Room. I wanted to today though make a statement as an opposing team's fan. Thank freaking God there is no walk through tape. Seriously. I don't know what the punishment for a such a thing would have been, but that had the potential of being the biggest scandel in sports since the Black Sox fixed the World Series. I'm so glad that the sport I love wasn't damaged in that way. Taping signals, whatever, I've stated it before, change your freaking signals, especially in the playoffs.

As a fan of the game, I'm so happy that the rumored SB walkthrough tape was just that, a rumor and a lie. The game I love, regardless of its flaws, won't have to go through that type of scandel.

Good luck this season, look forward to playing you punks (meant in jest) this December!!!

(Oh, by the way, I guarentee we won't be making any guarentees this year.)

I don't believe it's over until it's been beaten to death, buried and laid to rest for awhile. The speculation will fester as long as the Herald allows it to.

As far as the Pats suing the Herald, Roger Clemens comes to mind. Let it die on the vine even if it takes a while. Pulling their reporter's creds might be a good poke in the eye since there's no love lost there anyway. What are they going to do, fabricate an anti-Pats story?

Good luck this season, look forward to playing you punks (meant in jest) this December!!!

(Oh, by the way, I guarentee we won't be making any guarentees this year.)

LOL. How can you guarantee that? Will you be taping shut a certain player's mouth before game time?

LOL. How can you guarantee that? Will you be taping shut a certain player's mouth before game time?

Not me! but I'm sure some of my more angry linebackers will make certain no rookies open up their stupid mouths.

It was particularly disappointing to watch Mike Lynch on Ch.5 this evening lead with this story in a manner which clearly lead (mislead?) viewers into believing that this was big news in terms of the Pats potentially being in more trouble. He made a point of saying that after Walsh meets with Goodell next week he will be flown to Washington to meet with the Specter. Lynch clearly reported this in a way in which a viewer might surmise that the Patriots are anything but exonerated by this evening's revelations. Anyone else see it that way?
I didn't see that program as I don't live in the Boston area but my impression of the report on ESPN Sportscenter was that they were taking the same tack. While it seemed they carefully avoided making any factual misstatements, they spun the story in such a way (and failed to mention certain salient facts) so as to lead the casual viewer to believe there was evidence to further implicate the Pats, rather than simply being more of the same; i.e. evidence which falls within what they have already admitted - that they were taping since 2000 (and which was actually reported by ESPN back in September but has since been swept under the rug by the media).

Many thanks for the objectivity (no sarcasm intended). I honestly only recall them saying that the taping went back to 2000 after the Walsh story broke--do you have a link to an earlier story from the fall on that?
I don't have a link, but I do recall hearing Mortenson clearly state on ESPN, right after the Walsh story came out just before the Super Bowl, that the team had already admitted in September that the taping went back to 2000, and that that had been reported at the time on ESPN as well as other media outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFanetic
I could feel the love, so I just had to stop by. It's like having my own little cheering section.

I have to agree that if this is all Walsh has next week, then I don't think that anything more will happen to the Pats. He doesn't have the Big Enchilada (the Rams SB tape) and from the article it sounds like the only new thing might be that there were offensive signals taped also. That strikes even me as "more of the same," even if my team was one of the victims in the tapes.

The Bill's tape Walsh submitted was labeled "Funiest NFL Bloopers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes