PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Walsh's attorney: Walsh has tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PFT: Walsh does indeed have tapes!

The only problem he poses for this organization is if he has an actual tape of the Rams walk through and he can somehow substantiate the club having knowledge of it, because we are on record saying we had none. Or if he has other material unrelated to signal taping or the walk through. Or if he has claims of knowledge of other behavior in violation of NFL rules such as jamming communications or circumventing the QB cutoff. But he would need more than recollection of having heard something, he'd need corrobotation in the form of witnesses or documents. Absent that, he'd just be free to spew crap ad nauseum free from repercussions. No way they agree to that - no one would.

Actually, when those stories came out, didn't the NFL come out and specifically say that the Patriots were not one of the teams involved in that particular story?

The story that's being reported states that it is the NFL and the Patriots that are both agreeing to offer indemnification. It just doesn't fit the agendas of the news outlets to report that the Pats are willing to grant it too, so that isn't getting headlines. If you go back and read any of the major stories that are reporting it though, you'll find it. Makes me even more confident that the Pats have nothing to hide, as far as Walsh is concerned.

I just did a search on it and got Walsh as a former Pats' employee and the NFL offering indemnity (the Pats would not offer indemnity for a suit they would bring - indemnity is from a third party like an insurance company, not a party to the case). If you have a link to a story indicating the Patriots are involved, I'd like to see it.

A refusal to grant a release by the Patriots if made public (Walsh could not be sued at all if that was the case) would clearly appear to imply guilt in the eyes of the general public. If a release were granted there would be no story. The NFL would be a non-player if the team agrees not to sue Walsh.

Last edited:
I just did a search on it and got Walsh as a former Pats' employee and the NFL offering indemnity (the Pats would not offer indemnity for a suit they would bring - indemnity is from a third party like an insurance company, not a party to the case). If you have a link to a story indicating the Patriots are involved, I'd like to see it.

A refusal to grant a release by the Patriots if made public (Walsh could not be sued at all if that was the case) would clearly appear to imply guilt in the eyes of the general public. If a release were granted there would be no story. The NFL would be a non-player if the team agrees not to sue Walsh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3248267

This will confirm that, subject only to the limited conditions set forth below, neither the National Football League, nor the New England Patriots, nor any of their affiliates will initiate litigation or arbitration proceedings against Mr. Walsh for the truthful disclosure to Senator Specter or his staff or to the League of facts of which Mr. Walsh may have become aware while employed by the Patriots. This commitment extends to the disclosure of factual information that might otherwise be deemed confidential or a trade secret.

I've been a Patriot fan for 45 years and I've seen it all. Bill Belichick is the greatest coach in franchise history and one of the most forthright, honest individuals in sports today. The video taping employed by the Patriots is only part of the overall streamlining of this once fractured organization and I, for one , agree wholeheartedly with using whatever modern means are at my team's disposal to aid in the success of my franchise. Not only do I think this whole Spygate crap is pure bull, I think it's an orchestrated effort by others in this league to tear away at and attempt to disrupt this team's efficiency.

I doubt very highly Mr. Kraft is going to dismantle this paradigm and fire its architect...that would be organizational suicide. Considering the jump in price of tickets across the board suggest to this Patriot fan that not only will BB continue on as head coach but that for the forseeable future this team will be in the hands of what I consider the best organizational management team in sports.

AWESOME POST!!!!!!!!!!! I agree 100%

This is the message I would like to see our oh so supportive local media folk send out to the entire football world! Oh wait, I am sorry, I forgot, media in this town only likes to rip apart their teams, they sell more newspapers & spots that way (aplogies to Mike Reiss, Michael Holley and a precious few others).

Guess we'll just have to send that message ourselves.....

Seriously Joker - thanks for posting this....

AWESOME POST!!!!!!!!!!! I agree 100%

This is the message I would like to see our oh so supportive local media folk send out to the entire football world! Oh wait, I am sorry, I forgot, media in this town only likes to rip apart their teams, they sell more newspapers & spots that way (aplogies to Mike Reiss, Michael Holley and a precious few others).

Guess we'll just have to send that message ourselves.....

Seriously Joker - thanks for posting this....

When you make such proclamations, you might want to include Shalise Manza Young, seeing as she actually posts here. :)

If Kraft ever fired BB for this I'd honestly consider never supporting this team again, or the NFL in general.

i think before kraft goodell would issues suspensions so i doubt kraft will have much to do.i also think this whole fuss is being raised just because BB wasnt suspended for a single game by goodell so the media idiots what to get back at him.

Last edited:
As an attorney, it appears to me that this is the hangup based on what I'm reading.

The Patriots and the NFL are willing to release Walsh from liability for having tapes and releasing them, as well as talking truthfully about his time with the Patriots. In other words, they won't sue him if he has tapes nor if he truthfully talks about anything from his time with the Pats.

Walsh's lawyer wants a general release...i.e. we'll never sue you at all...period.

From Walsh's perspective, I can understand why his attorney would want that. They're afraid if he talks and there is any disagreement on the facts at all, the Patriots will turn around and say "that's not true" and sue him....and even if it turns out it WAS true, he's out $50,000 in legal fees.

From the Patriots/NFL perspective, I can understand why they're saying, look we need to reserve our right to sue this guy if he starts making outlandish claims that aren't true. How can they protect themselves otherwise from slander?

So you have a stalemate to some degree. I think it appears Walsh wants to cash in on this somehow....a book, exclusive interview, something. That is why he wants the release really general in nature. The Patriots for their part don't seem afraid of what he actually knows, they seem afraid of what he'll claim to know and they need to protect themselves if he is a serial exaggerator or outright fiction writer about what he knows.

J D Sal

Nice insight, thanks.

I tend to agree. The Pats saying Walsh was acting alone is a ridiculous defense.
O.K. then why did the Pats let him keep them? You mean to say he took pics and never turned them over to the Pats before the game? What did he get?...ethical?Did he always make copies? Why would he have made a copy? This is B.S.
DW Toys

What I don't understand is that if Walsh has had these tapes all along why didn't he come out earlier? Say just after Super Bowl XXXVIIII this would've had the biggest bang for his buck.

Why does he wait for someone else to first reveal this and then make his move much later? Has anyone read or have any idea for this or is this guy just bluffing?

What I don't understand is that if Walsh has had these tapes all along why didn't he come out earlier? Say just after Super Bowl XXXVIIII this would've had the biggest bang for his buck.

Why does he wait for someone else to first reveal this and then make his move much later? Has anyone read or have any idea for this or is this guy just bluffing?

Walsh is over his head at this point. He wanted some money and a little attention and now he might go in front of congress, face lawsuits, and have his personal life dragged through the mud.

You can tell he never really thought this one out

Actually, when those stories came out, didn't the NFL come out and specifically say that the Patriots were not one of the teams involved in that particular story?
As to the 15 second blackout period, Mike Sando wrote a large article about this in September. He talked a lot about how this was quite against the rules and how very little is being done, even though it has a large impact on the game being played. in this article, he stated quite strongly that none of the many coaches he talked to ever implicated the Patriots in this. As far as jamming signals, I think there was some very loud rumors that amounted to nothing and the NFL, I believe somewhere in that spygate post-week, stated that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back