PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Love for Hakeem Nicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is funny that we collectively are ready to give Danny Amendola the boot after one season, yet at the same time are so eager to sign a player like Nicks that has three touchdown receptions over the last two seasons a contract.

Having had a good game against the Patriots is not necessarily the most important benchmark to determining whether or not a free agent should be signed.

Wrong!

They signed Donald Jones last offseason because he played well against them and they would never have gotten to the AFCCG without him.

I would not say that the team could not benefit from an upgrade at WR, because they most certainly can.

However, they also need to look at DT, DT, C, RG and TE; there's also a decision to be made at CB. Paying big bucks for a WR means some of those other positions are going to be manned by players that probably shouldn't be starting.

Upgrading WR is a splash headline type of move, but in my opinion not the one that would have the most positive impact on the 2014 season. Case in point would be just 11 months ago, when so many from this forum felt that breaking the bank for Mike Wallace was the smartest move that the Patriots could make.

I definitely see why they didn't like Mike Wallace because only Brady could under or overthrow him. But that not the point Nicks is a position type WR who would move the chains and make tough catches he also has speed to get deep. I CANNOT imagine BB going into next season depending of the likes of a Ineffective Armendola and Gronk staying healthy.

I dissagree jim this Team had a chance to get a really good WR in FA 2012 that was the WR Galore Free Agency. I wanted Pierre Garson former Colt now Redskins. BB passed on quite a few Elite WR's which included Vincent Jackson we singed a bunch of scrubs that year. 2012 was as good a year to take the plunge. Garson was almost 1400yds receiver last year. My Point, Nicks might be the Best FA WR available this year whether we like it or not. The AFC is not going to be any easier in 2014 we have to keep up with the Jones's.

There's a whole lot more to building a successful roster than QB, RB and TE. Thanks to this thing called a salary cap a team can't just go out and sign whatever free agent they so desire like the Yankees do in baseball. Jackson has a cap number in excess of $12 million per year; how is that going to work? Mike Wallace has a cap figure of $17mil+ in 2014, and over $12 mil for each of the next three years. Garcon was signed as soon as free agency began to a deal that included an $11 mil bonus, $21 mil guaranteed; at the time he was considered to be a product of the Indy offense.

Games are still won and lost in the trenches. Give me an upgraded OL and DL first, and then I'll talk WR.

No, terrible idea. We're coming off a season where the Patriots were decimated by injuries and now we're talking about signing another guy who can't stay healthy?

I'd much rather entertain the notion of signing Sanders, if we're going to make a play at WR.

No, terrible idea. We're coming off a season where the Patriots were decimated by injuries and now we're talking about signing another guy who can't stay healthy?

I'd much rather entertain the notion of signing Sanders, if we're going to make a play at WR.

I see Sanders as the option if they aren't re-signing Edelman.

There's a whole lot more to building a successful roster than QB, RB and TE. Thanks to this thing called a salary cap a team can't just go out and sign whatever free agent they so desire like the Yankees do in baseball. Jackson has a cap number in excess of $12 million per year; how is that going to work? Mike Wallace has a cap figure of $17mil+ in 2014, and over $12 mil for each of the next three years. Garcon was signed as soon as free agency began to a deal that included an $11 mil bonus, $21 mil guaranteed; at the time he was considered to be a product of the Indy offense.

Games are still won and lost in the trenches. Give me an upgraded OL and DL first, and then I'll talk WR.

I love the salary cap. It evens the field and forces teams to choose where and how to spend their money. Paying huge money to FA WRs has been consistently a way not to put together a winning team.

Show me one team that ended up signing a big name FA WR and it put them over the top:

- Mike Wallace
- Vincent Jackson
- Brandon Marshall (yes, I know that was a trade)

Among others. Not a great track record of those signings making those teams much better. And so far Sidney Rice (FA signing) and Percy Harvin (trade) aren't the reason why Seattle is in the SB.

Even with Julian Edelman God Bless him NO PATRIOT WR Scare any Defense in the NFL. If you guys are happy with mediocrity at WR get use to One and Done in the NFL Playoffs.

Even with Julian Edelman God Bless him NO PATRIOT WR Scare any Defense in the NFL. If you guys are happy with mediocrity at WR get use to One and Done in the NFL Playoffs.

None of the Seahawks wideouts really scare anyone, either.

I would not say that the team could not benefit from an upgrade at WR, because they most certainly can.

However, they also need to look at DT, DT, C, RG and TE; there's also a decision to be made at CB. Paying big bucks for a WR means some of those other positions are going to be manned by players that probably shouldn't be starting.

Upgrading WR is a splash headline type of move, but in my opinion not the one that would have the most positive impact on the 2014 season. Case in point would be just 11 months ago, when so many from this forum felt that breaking the bank for Mike Wallace was the smartest move that the Patriots could make.

I agree on their needs and would address them as follows:

WR-High draft pick

TE-High draft pick

C-move Connolly back to C, draft a C mid rounds-Move Cannon to RG

DT-Restructure Wilfork, Go after an interior DL in free agency (A. jones) Siliga and Chris Jones were finds during the season and provide good depth.

CB-Talib will likely cost too much, add a good veteran CB in free agency

Basically i would re-sign Edelman and use the draft to address WR/TE/C, do some restructures to free up free agency money and use free agency to address their defensive needs.

Yes, because guys who don't show up for their contract year typically show up after some really smart team breaks the bank for them. He hasn't been good for 2+ years, and even when he was good he wasn't elite.

And your solution is to "break the bank" for the absolute worst WR in the league. Great idea.

None of the Seahawks wideouts really scare anyone, either.

But Seattle have a Defense thats unlike no-other and a Great Running Game.

And if the Pats broke the bank for Nicks, that would still be the case. Nobody's afraid of Hakeem Nicks; the only difference would be that now we wouldn't have any money to make an actual upgrade.

Aaron Dobson will be a better WR than Hakeem Nicks next year.

But Seattle have a Defense thats unlike no-other and a Great Running Game.

Right, which shows that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and hence your post was incorrect.

I will close on this I would be SHOCKED! if we are not Serious Players for Hakeem Nicks.

I don't understand the problem with signing Hakeem Nicks.

He isn't going to "break the bank" due to two subpar years (after two very good years).

He's 26 years old, and can do everything you expect an "X" receiver to do...he isn't athletically limited at all when he's healthy. He has no problem separating from the best CB's in the NFL.

Go back and watch Hakeem Nicks vs Aqib Talib....you might be surprised.

I don't understand the problem with signing Hakeem Nicks.

He isn't going to "break the bank" due to two subpar years (after two very good years).

He's 26 years old, and can do everything you expect an "X" receiver to do...he isn't athletically limited at all when he's healthy. He has no problem separating from the best CB's in the NFL.

Go back and watch Hakeem Nicks vs Aqib Talib....you might be surprised.

Because our resources under current salary cap conditions are limited, at best, which necessitates a more prudent use of money at the WR position, be it re-signing Edelman, signing Sanders, or both, before entertaining someone like Nicks.

I will close on this I would be SHOCKED! if we are not Serious Players for Hakeem Nicks.

Aren't you one of the people who's super down on Gronk's contract because you think we're paying too much to a fragile player who can't make it through a full season?

Because I have to question the sanity of anyone that can hold that position re: Gronk and simultaneously advocate giving a big contract to Hakeem Nicks.

Because our resources under current salary cap conditions are limited, at best, which necessitates a more prudent use of money at the WR position, be it re-signing Edelman, signing Sanders, or both, before entertaining someone like Nicks.

I disagree.

There is no bigger need for this offense than an outside the numbers intermediate/deep threat to keep the safeties honest. NONE BIGGER.

Nicks is going to likely take a one or two year prove it deal....he won't cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back